Does this sound like the valve body issue or something more sinister?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:05 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Does this sound like the valve body issue or something more sinister?

I know the valve body issue is typically diagnosed with hard shifts going from 5-6 down to 4th... How about going up through the gears, like 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, while at part throttle/cruising speed?

I've noticed my trans has started shifting pretty hard and making a clunk that has progressively gotten worse as time goes on.. I'm almost positive that the issue has to do with transmission temperature rising. It shifts smooth and fine when driving normal, but if I get on it and it shifts while at WOT, it will shift harsh while driving normally afterwards.. What got me more worried today is sitting in stop and go traffic, after things started moving again, it was shifting worse than ever after exiting the freeway. I'm guessing heat built up sitting in traffic, but this has me really concerned.

So any ideas? Valve body or something with the trans itself or....?

Thanks for any insight.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
If anyone else gets this issue, I spent a couple of hours doing research last night and this does seem to be symptoms of the valve body issue.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:36 PM
nitrorocket is on a distinguished road
Does it do it for all gears? Has the fluid level been checked properly? All gears could be a valve body issue, there was an update in 06 on the body that solved shifting issues.

What year and model do you have?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Once it starts happening, it does it in all gears. I checked the fluid last time I did an oil change, so about 6 weeks ago.. I should probably check it again, but I haven't seen signs of leaks.

Mine is an 05 Turbo.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 PM
nitrorocket is on a distinguished road
I am guessing you have an issue with the throttle body, seems to be a common pre 06 problem. If you check fluid level with engine running on level surface while getting warmed up, the fluid level is fine, doubt you lost any in the last couple weeks.

These transmissions take TONS of abuse and is one of the strongest oem transmissions I have ever seen, Aisin makes good stuff!

I have 165k on mine towing enclosed car trailers all over the country with my foot t the floor.

Btw, if you need a valvebody, I have one here in an '06 09D turbo trans I could remove and sell to you if you get to that point. I could guide you through the process, very easy easy swap(for some).

Old 12-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I am guessing you have an issue with the throttle body, seems to be a common pre 06 problem. If you check fluid level with engine running on level surface while getting warmed up, the fluid level is fine, doubt you lost any in the last couple weeks.

These transmissions take TONS of abuse and is one of the strongest oem transmissions I have ever seen, Aisin makes good stuff!

I have 165k on mine towing enclosed car trailers all over the country with my foot t the floor.

Btw, if you need a valvebody, I have one here in an '06 09D turbo trans I could remove and sell to you if you get to that point. I could guide you through the process, very easy easy swap(for some).
Yep, monitored the temperature with durametric when I checked it.. It was as level of a surface as a garage floor can be, it may be off by a hair.

Im at 186k on mine! Its been a beast Shoot me a PM with how much you want for that valvebody, I might be interested in swapping it to see if that fixes it.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Mine did some of that too but the big giveaway with mine was the hitting a brick wall downshift at WOT from about 50mph. It is a pretty easy job. Messy, but easy.