Porsche Newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 02:21 PM
tresean1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Porsche Newbie

Hello, future fellow-Porsche-enthusiasts!

I am in the market for, and seriously considering, a pre-owned Cayenne. I have narrowed it down to a GTS or Turbo/Turbo S from around 2008/2009 to around 2012, with lowest miles possible. I want to stay around the $30k mark or under, so naturally the 2012's may be out of the question.

In your opinions, which is the best combination of trim level/year/mileage that you'd recommend (and why)?
I am in the blind right now, so some objective advice would really help.

What are some common/major issues or red flags to look for? What are some rare and desirable options/packages to look for? And what are some "must haves"?
What should the car come with, as far as service records, keys, manuals, etc.

Just trying to establish a starting point, so all of your help is great!

Old 03-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
I have a turbo, and I do like it a lot, but was it really worth the extra money over the cost of a S or GTS? for me no. I rarely ever get into the boost, plus I have other Porsches if I want to drive fast. My girlfriend has a S, and when I drive it it feels 95% the same as my turbo.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Google has all the answers for you, and most of them are contained in this forum and Rennlist.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Google has all the answers for you, and most of them are contained in this forum and Rennlist.

AHA!!!! I was waiting for one of those "I won't help you but instead will make a smart Alec remark" responses.

I have already tried Google and the forums but the information is all over the place and not concise, hence why I posted here.

You know, it probably would've taken less time for you to just provide helpful advice, than to write what you wrote.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I know you're still in the consideration phase here, but I must say that both are fantastic vehicles and either way you'll be very satisfied.

What is your main use for the car and do you have any future plans for her?

Turbo:
Tuning/modding capabilities are just about endless but you're paying a premium to get that beast of an engine under the hood making 490 hp & 520 lb/ft out of the box before getting into the Turbo S model. A prime example of the tuning capabilities is our plug and play ECU tune that will yield an extra 100hp and 140ft/lbs, that can't be said for the S and GTS Models. Also the stock sound from the Turbo basically requires you to upgrade the exhaust since the turbos themselves tone down a lot of the engine noise.

GTS:
I'd go GTS over the S for a few reasons - more horses under the hood (20hp to be exact), upgraded GTS features (such as optional rearview camera, keyless access and start, and memory system) and for re-sell value when the time comes. Out of the box the GTS makes 410 hp and 380 lb/ft so it is a bit behind the turbo but I'd be happy to offer a few items such as our Secondary Catbypass Pipes to help bridge the power gap. With the added Secondary Catbypass the V8 really shows its voice, and in my opinion sounds much better than the turbo.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Having owned S, GTS and now the Turbo... the one I would probably cross out is the GTS. The rebound and damper rates are way too stiff for everyday ride. To me, a SUV needs to show a bit more comfort then something that is in your face all the time. I know it looks great, has a great number of standard options but at that point, the Turbo is the better car. It's been discussed by owners who have had both the GTS and Turbo before...most would say they would pick the turbo.

So the decision would be to find a high option S or find a Turbo.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
I know you're still in the consideration phase here, but I must say that both are fantastic vehicles and either way you'll be very satisfied.

What is your main use for the car and do you have any future plans for her?

Turbo:
Tuning/modding capabilities are just about endless but you're paying a premium to get that beast of an engine under the hood making 490 hp & 520 lb/ft out of the box before getting into the Turbo S model. A prime example of the tuning capabilities is our plug and play ECU tune that will yield an extra 100hp and 140ft/lbs, that can't be said for the S and GTS Models. Also the stock sound from the Turbo basically requires you to upgrade the exhaust since the turbos themselves tone down a lot of the engine noise.

GTS:
I'd go GTS over the S for a few reasons - more horses under the hood (20hp to be exact), upgraded GTS features (such as optional rearview camera, keyless access and start, and memory system) and for re-sell value when the time comes. Out of the box the GTS makes 410 hp and 380 lb/ft so it is a bit behind the turbo but I'd be happy to offer a few items such as our Secondary Catbypass Pipes to help bridge the power gap. With the added Secondary Catbypass the V8 really shows its voice, and in my opinion sounds much better than the turbo.
Thanks for the awesome and informative review. You mentioned the GTS has "optional rearview camera, keyless access and start, and memory system and makes 410 hp"...are you referring to a new model?

I'm trying to stay below 2011/2012, and probably can't get into a Turbo for cost reasosns. Plus i like the overall look of the GTS better than the Turbo (blacked out window trim, lowered body moldings, etc). IMO, the GTS looks like what the Turbo should have looked like. Did the 2009s come with keyless/pushbutton start at the time? I know Mercedes and BMW had Keyless Go and Comfort Access back in 2006, but didn't think porsche had caught up with the times.

Last edited by tresean1; 03-09-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
The rearview camera, Keyless access and memory has always been stand alone options on the GTS.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tresean1
Thanks for the awesome and informative review. You mentioned the GTS has "optional rearview camera, keyless access and start, and memory system and makes 410 hp"...are you referring to a new model?

I'm trying to stay below 2011/2012, and probably can't get into a Turbo for cost reasosns. Plus i like the overall look of the GTS better than the Turbo (blacked out window trim, lowered body moldings, etc). IMO, the GTS looks like what the Turbo should have looked like. Did the 2009s come with keyless/pushbutton start at the time? I know Mercedes and BMW had Keyless Go and Comfort Access back in 2006, but didn't think porsche had caught up with the times.
I was using information from the 958, sorry about that. Power wise if I am not mistaken is not too far different, I believe it was 400 hp and 370 ft/lbs.

I completely agree about the looks of a GTS, imo it's far superior to the Turbo with a better sound as well!

Originally Posted by Fkim011
The rearview camera, Keyless access and memory has always been stand alone options on the GTS.
Thank you!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Fkim011

When you say "Keyless access...has always been stand alone options on the GTS", do you mean "keyless access" as in unlock/lock doors from keyfob, or do you mean touch the door handles and unlock/lock the doors? And does "keyless access" include starting the vehicle without inserting a key, or just the former?

Were these options "always" on the GTS since inception, or just the 2012+ models?

Can someone please clarify...? This is something I have questioned but never been able to ascertain, because Porsche options are so complicated and, IMO, inconspicuous...

Last edited by tresean1; 03-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
I have an 09GTS, it requires a key start. No push-button of any type.

I upgraded with a couple of easy bolt-on mods, extremely happy with it and it has been very reliable with a couple of hiccups that I needed to take it to the dealer for (thermostat replacement, AC condenser hole).

The air suspension lets you tweak the ride quality, pop in a lowering kit (module replacement) and you can lower it about an inch and with a Durametric you can also tweak it more.

Secondary cat-bypass pipes are a must for sound. Replaced stock intake filters with BMC filters, I didn't bother with any cold-air-intakes at this time.

Updated with a Softronic tune and overall really happy with the performance gain, nothing huge, but enough to notice in everyday driving. I didn't have factory rear-view camera but I added one easily (NavTV pop-in camera) that uses the factory radio along with adding the iPod/Aux-Sound module which also was not installed in mine at the factory.

I have the 21" GTS style rims, they are prone to bending especially if you have potholes. I had all rims reconditioned a couple of years ago and they all look great now. Been through 4 sets of tires (Pirelli, Continental, 2 Vredsteins). I recommend rotating every 5k miles to extend life. If you get snow, get a second set of 18-20" snow rim/tires. They don't make many all-seasons in 21".

-Richie

Old 03-21-2017, 08:34 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tresean1
When you say "Keyless access...has always been stand alone options on the GTS", do you mean "keyless access" as in unlock/lock doors from keyfob, or do you mean touch the door handles and unlock/lock the doors? And does "keyless access" include starting the vehicle without inserting a key, or just the former?

Were these options "always" on the GTS since inception, or just the 2012+ models?

Can someone please clarify...? This is something I have questioned but never been able to ascertain, because Porsche options are so complicated and, IMO, inconspicuous...

If you are talking about being able to keep the key fob in your pocket and unlock the doors by touch that is called "Entry and Drive" by Porsche. I have it on my '05 CTT and love it. It can be a bit finicky when locking or unlocking the doors but most times it works pretty well.

I don't know what models it was available on but since you are thinking of newer models than mine you might be able to find one with it. It doesn't have a start button but it has a plastic dummy key that you just leave in the ignition. It won't start unless the key fob is close enough. Trust me that part works well, I've tried!!

As for which model to choose I'm partial to the performance of the turbo but I really like the looks of the GTS the best. Sorry not much help there.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys...

I am still on the "hunt" for a nicely loaded GTS...but it is very hard. I want one (2009-2010 model since it has the upgraded PCM) with sunroof, parking sensors (don't really care about backup cam or not), navigation, bluetooth, bi-xenon, and definitely "Entry and Drive".

And is the Porsche Entry and Drive non-existent? How do I tell if a vehicle has this when I search? Other than the obvious wording (which most listings exclude and dealers don't even have a clue what options are on vehicles), what are the visual cues?

Do you guys know of any currently for sale, with all those options?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Sjt0017 is on a distinguished road
+1 on jdubbya's statements.

Having just gone through this process a few weeks ago, I'll give you my take on options I was looking for in my next Cayenne:

Always use this to decode each Cayenne you look at, so you can see what options came from factory, as well as recalls that may have affected that vehicle.
(you'll need to scroll nearly to the bottom to see the particular VIN you're decoding.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche

- Had to be a 958; Having owned a 955TT, the 958 in every aspect is just a better vehicle, regardless of engine trim you choose. (Happy to go into detail if you want more info)
- Do your homework on a pre 2013 model on cam adjuster bolts (once you know some talking points on this, you can use when negotiating with the dealer/seller).
- Had to have air suspension. Had it in my 06 Turbo, and wouldn't consider another without it.
- Had to have luxor beige or black interior. All the platinum, espresso/cognac, etc just look dated to me.
- Had to have ventilated seats (I live in TX, A/C seats are a must with leather)
- Had to have one of the 21" wheel options. Even if you just get an "S", it can still look great with the right wheel combo. Also, when you're shopping for a used car, often the cost difference is negligible between one with 19-20" and one with upgraded Turbo II's or Sport Editions, and they're worth literally twice as much as any other wheel option if you were to sell them in the 6speed Marketplace.

Other notes:
- I really liked the gloss black trim & GTS' Sport Design bodykit option (don't we all?!), but ultimately if you get an "S" with a 21" wheel option, you can still have a great looking Pig even without the bodykit.
- You could either pay $4-500 on Suncoast Parts for the gloss black trim, or just have it wrapped/painted for roughly half that. You can really pigeonhole yourself into a very small market of vehicles that had black trim from factory; Though great to not have to change myself, I felt it was a small investment to fix if all the other options were on point.

- I really would've loved entry & drive, but the 958TT I ended up buying didn't even have it. It did however have gloss black trim, and sport design (GTS kit), so I was more than willing to deal with unlocking and putting my key in the ignition (oh whatttt a drag!) haha.
- You are correct, entry & drive is rare in the 958 and likely even more rare in the 957, so you're looking for a purple squirrel/unicorn if this is a must have for you.

I hope this helps in your decision making process, best of luck!

-Shane

Last edited by Sjt0017; 01-03-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Sjt0017
+1 on jdubbya's statements.

Having just gone through this process a few weeks ago, I'll give you my take on options I was looking for in my next Cayenne:

Always use this to decode each Cayenne you look at, so you can see what options came from factory, as well as recalls that may have affected that vehicle.
(you'll need to scroll nearly to the bottom to see the particular VIN you're decoding.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche

- Had to be a 958; Having owned a 955TT, the 958 in every aspect is just a better vehicle, regardless of engine trim you choose. (Happy to go into detail if you want more info)
- Do your homework on a pre 2013 model on cam adjuster bolts (once you know some talking points on this, you can use when negotiating with the dealer/seller).
- Had to have air suspension. Had it in my 06 Turbo, and wouldn't consider another without it.
- Had to have luxor beige or black interior. All the platinum, espresso/cognac, etc just look dated to me.
- Had to have ventilated seats (I live in TX, A/C seats are a must with leather)
- Had to have one of the 21" wheel options. Even if you just get an "S", it can still look great with the right wheel combo. Also, when you're shopping for a used car, often the cost difference is negligible between one with 19-20" and one with upgraded Turbo II's or Sport Editions, and they're worth literally twice as much as any other wheel option if you were to sell them in the 6speed Marketplace.

Other notes:
- I really liked the gloss black trim & GTS' Sport Design bodykit option (don't we all?!), but ultimately if you get an "S" with a 21" wheel option, you can still have a great looking Pig even without the bodykit.
- You could either pay $4-500 on Suncoast Parts for the gloss black trim, or just have it wrapped/painted for roughly half that. You can really pigeonhole yourself into a very small market of vehicles that had black trim from factory; Though great to not have to change myself, I felt it was a small investment to fix if all the other options were on point.

- I really would've loved entry & drive, but the 958TT I ended up buying didn't even have it. It did however have gloss black trim, and sport design (GTS kit), so I was more than willing to deal with unlocking and putting my key in the ignition (oh whatttt a drag!) haha.
- You are correct, entry & drive is rare in the 958 and likely even more rare in the 957, so you're looking for a purple squirrel/unicorn if this is a must have for you.

I hope this helps in your decision making process, best of luck!

-Shane
Thanks for your extended reply, but whoah!!! All off that just went completely over my head...lol. It's like you were speaking a foreign language: 955, 957, 958, TT, black trim, etc.
Please keep in mind, I am a literal Porsche VIRGIN, so the lingo/slang is all foreign to me. All I know is I want a 2009-2010 GTS (not really keen on the look of any of the 2011+ models at this point).
Please break it down elementary style for me...I have no idea what you are talking about. And yes, I will take you up on your offer of "Happy to go into detail if you want more info"

Last edited by tresean1; 01-03-2018 at 11:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.