Quick check of headlight 'dipped beam' message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:30 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Questions on PD of headlight 'dipped beam' message

My driver side headlight was giving me dipped beam message sometimes, and was blinking at times (some times just fast flash, at others would go out for about 1 second, come back on, do same sequence for about 5 times, then would stay out, but not all the time).

My troubleshooting included:
- replaced low beam bulb in driver headlight - no change, driver light still blink
- replaced harnesses (both - ones that plug into back of headlights) - no change, driver light still blink
- swapped ballasts (driver went onto passenger and vice versa) - driver light stopped blinking, passenger headlight stayed on

During troubleshooting, I noticed that internal harness of headlight is all cracked and brittle, coming off. Spent few hours resoldering each wire making sure to put shrink tube on each for insulation (liquid tape no workie here trust me - tried and bad choice).
After rework job, driver headlight works fine. No dipped beam message due to it.

Few days later, the passenger headlight gave me the dipped beam message. This time the low beam stayed off 100% of time.
- Replaced low beam bulb in it - no change, bulb stays off with dipped beam message
- Replaced D1S, H3, H7 bulbs in both headlights to eliminate any screwy load issues - passenger low beam still off with message.

Should I assume the ballast in my passenger side (the ballast that was giving me issues on driver side, before I swapped it to passenger side), is the culprit, and is replacing it next step? What do you think?

Great thanks for help/input. I need this sorted out asap.

Last edited by ciaka; 04-25-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:37 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Since the problem followed the ballast - I'd say your assumption is probably correct. Pricey way to troubleshoot - but in this case I'd say justified.. you've addressed the usual suspects.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:32 PM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
I had the same warning. My jindy said it was just the HiD bulb for my instance at $50. I’m hoping that’s it, but he seemed pretty confident. Hope you resolve your situation soon.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:38 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Im pretty sure it is the ballast. Have to order another one. Just got a newer toy to play with, so have to split attention between the CTT and the PTT now.