Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

taping off rubber seals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM
MidnighTT is on a distinguished road
taping off rubber seals?

I spent a couple hours in the garage today trying to get rid of old wax that has built up on (and under) the narrow, parallel rubber seals that run the length of the roof. Now I'm wondering how to polish and wax up close to them, especially the band of painted metal that runs between them, without creating a new dried wax mess.

Do the pros put tape over these seals? The tape would have to be only about 3/16" wide. Or do you just skip polishing and waxing that strip of metal that runs between them? Or apply polish and wax with a Q-tip?

Jeff

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Grouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
I spent a couple hours in the garage today trying to get rid of old wax that has built up on (and under) the narrow, parallel rubber seals that run the length of the roof. Now I'm wondering how to polish and wax up close to them, especially the band of painted metal that runs between them, without creating a new dried wax mess.

Do the pros put tape over these seals? The tape would have to be only about 3/16" wide. Or do you just skip polishing and waxing that strip of metal that runs between them? Or apply polish and wax with a Q-tip?

Jeff
I do one of two things. I will either tape off that whole area, ie the whole gutter. Or i will pick stuff out of it after and re condition everything. My preference is to tape the whole gutter and hand polish with Klasse AIO, JW prime.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MidnighTT

Jeff
Hi Jeff:

Just polish that area like you would the paint. You will get dust and some polish in the cracks of the seal and in the roof rack compartment. I use einszett cockpit premium to clean all the rubber trim. Use a microfiber towel and gently rub along the rubber seam. You'll get everything out. Then polish and wax by hand. Since you have zymol, you're not going to leave any residue behind from the wax