Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Suggestions on detailing a basalt black 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned
PHC1 is on a distinguished road
Suggestions on detailing a basalt black 997?

Would appreciate suggestions on which products to use on basalt black 997. I am a total noob when it comes to detailing. Usually a car wash will do but I'd like to wash and care for the 997 myself. I need advice on everything from soap to wax and towels. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PHC1
Would appreciate suggestions on which products to use on basalt black 997. I am a total noob when it comes to detailing. Usually a car wash will do but I'd like to wash and care for the 997 myself. I need advice on everything from soap to wax and towels. Thanks!

Here you go: http://www.detailingdynamics.com/tip.html. This should keep you busy for some time. This is exactly how I personally work on my car as well as my clients' cars.

Matt

Old 03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
nycsurfer is on a distinguished road
Phil@detailersdomain put together several nice detailing kits
here is one of them

Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned
BrianBrice is on a distinguished road
If you aren't planning on machine polishing, you should look at products that have the capabilities to fill in the defects. Meguiars nxt 2.0 will be a great wax (hider of defects) for you to apply once a month or so, it's not very expensive and available locally.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Keep it simple at first. I call it Trinity: Klay, Polish, and Wax. As long as you follow those three steps, you can apply it to anyone's product line. As far as polish and wax goes the two lines I carry and am fond of are zymol and einszett. zymol is a natural line and the look will be depth, clarity, and a warm glow. Synthetics like einszett will give you more shine and gloss. So don't overwhelm yourself and start with the basics and work your way up as your skill and passion grows.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned
PHC1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Should I invest in a pressure washer? What rating would be considered safe? 1200psi? 1500?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned
BrianBrice is on a distinguished road
Pressure washer definitely isn't needed, but if you think you can get use out of it around the house, it's not a bad thing to have around.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Should I invest in a pressure washer? What rating would be considered safe? 1200psi? 1500?
I've never had a need for the pressure washer in 12 years. However, when I detail at the dealerships, I always end up using them. They have their place. But with today's sensitive electronics and sensors, it's safer to do without. I know the Range Rovers have a big issue with them when it comes to the wheel well. It seems the air suspension sensors are in the wheel well and if the user shoots the pressure washer in the wheel well, the sensors go nuts. You could be driving 70 mph and the suspension simply sinks; I've heard that done to two people already. But user error doesn't mean a technology is bad. Perhaps some members can chime in and share their experience w/ a pressure washer.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough
dont wipe it off with a towel if there is ANY dust on it...unless you like how surface scratches look on your whole car. I wouldn't even recommend washing with a mit, only use fine microfiber towels to soap, then use a blower to dry off, and wipe clean with brand new micro fiber towels. If the towels are used you run the risk of small dirt or rock chips getting caught up in the towels and scratching the surface (which will be very noticeable on a black car)

Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Gary in BR is on a distinguished road
I have never heard of washing with a microfiber but it makes sense, thanks for the tip.

I use a foam gun and its been a blessing. I feel no friction when I wipe the car, this weekend I will add the microfiber to wipe.

By the way....what is the best way to dry a black car?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Imaj is on a distinguished road
"By the way....what is the best way to dry a black car?"

I am not kidding when I say use a leaf blower to dry your car. It does an amazing job.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Imaj
"By the way....what is the best way to dry a black car?"

I am not kidding when I say use a leaf blower to dry your car. It does an amazing job.

A leaf blower sounds like a great idea, I did think you were kidding but it makes sense.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I have never heard of washing with a microfiber but it makes sense, thanks for the tip.

I use a foam gun and its been a blessing. I feel no friction when I wipe the car, this weekend I will add the microfiber to wipe.

By the way....what is the best way to dry a black car?
If you are using a de-ionized pressure washer you could allow the water to dry then wipe it off with a final spray on wax. Or (better option), blow it off with an air hose to get all the water off the car (avoid using a chamois if you can, those things can be filled with dirt), then final wipe i.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Premium Sponsor
If you have a proper layer of wax on the car, it makes drying easy. Using deionized water is a HUGE timesaver. Using leaf blowers are an excellent option since you're not touching the finish. The ultimate in drying is the Airmax Blower:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=airmax+blower

Old 03-22-2008, 08:28 PM
The Airmax looks like a great product. I will have to remember that and add it to my tools.

Thanks Moe