Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Moe/Phil: Wheel Lip Care???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Moe/Phil: Wheel Lip Care???

I had my HRE's refinished about two months ago. I wash the car weekly sometimes more frequently sometimes less as it isn't driven everyday. The lips are already starting to get the hairline scratching again and dulling. What can I use on them. I've tried meguiars aluminum and mag polish and it doesnt seem to be doing me any good. How do you guys feel about never dull? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
I had my HRE's refinished about two months ago. I wash the car weekly sometimes more frequently sometimes less as it isn't driven everyday. The lips are already starting to get the hairline scratching again and dulling. What can I use on them. I've tried meguiars aluminum and mag polish and it doesnt seem to be doing me any good. How do you guys feel about never dull? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Ben:

I guess the first thing we have to figure out is where are those hairline scratches coming from. What are you using to clean your wheels? What product, brush, towels, etc. ? This will play an important role in diagnosing the problem at hand. How I polish HREs is simple. I use Menzerna Nano Polish to get the scratches out and do the majority of the work. I then use Zymol Metall to further clean and polish the wheels. One of these days I'll do a demo on the wheels and show you guys. Hope this helps. Remember, the most important thing to figure out is where these scratches are coming from so we know not to repeat them once your wheels are fixed.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Hi Ben:

I guess the first thing we have to figure out is where are those hairline scratches coming from. What are you using to clean your wheels? What product, brush, towels, etc. ? This will play an important role in diagnosing the problem at hand. How I polish HREs is simple. I use Menzerna Nano Polish to get the scratches out and do the majority of the work. I then use Zymol Metall to further clean and polish the wheels. One of these days I'll do a demo on the wheels and show you guys. Hope this helps. Remember, the most important thing to figure out is where these scratches are coming from so we know not to repeat them once your wheels are fixed.

Moe thanks for the response. I should have enlightened you as to how I go about cleaning my wheels if you're going to help me solve the problem. I typically just use the Meguairs Pro-Line Car Shampoo with a microfiber sponge. I make sure to hose the wheels done sufficiently prior to hitting them with the mitt.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Moe thanks for the response. I should have enlightened you as to how I go about cleaning my wheels if you're going to help me solve the problem. I typically just use the Meguairs Pro-Line Car Shampoo with a microfiber sponge. I make sure to hose the wheels done sufficiently prior to hitting them with the mitt.
We should step you up to a designated wheel cleaner and switch the microfiber sponge to a horse hair brush from zymol. This will help. Polishing with Metall is safe and effective and will only have to be done every 2-3 months, depending on how often you drive.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Awesome ........ Thanks Moe! Any hope in getting the wheels back to what they were when I picked them up from the shop?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Premium Sponsor
Awesome ........ Thanks Moe! Any hope in getting the wheels back to what they were when I picked them up from the shop?
If you post a picture, I can tell you. But the method and products mentioned above have worked every time for me. PM me if you'd like the products mentioned.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry a bit late here Moe mentions a lot of good things.

Here is the way I do clean wheel and lips:

Clean the wheel with the items below:
P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel
Boar's Hair Brush
Swissvax Wheel Brush
Spoke Brush

Lips (non clear coated):
Adam's Metal 1 and Adam's Metal 2 (no abrassives)
(this was made specifically for metal with no clear coat, I'm going to tell you I tried them all and sell a lot of metal polishes but nothing comes close to Adam's)

Protection:
I would do Swissvax Cleaner Fluid to prep them followed by Swissvax Autobahn
for protection.

If you can maintain them frequently I would go with your car wash and water then dry them and put another coat of Swissvax Autobahn on them.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
that's good to know. my wheel lips are starting to show some wear from the washes.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 AM
kcphuah will become famous soon enoughkcphuah will become famous soon enough
so, using horse hair brush is the best to clean wheel lip? I have been using sponge to clean my wheels, is that too coarse for the wheel lip?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
a sponge is okay as well just make sure you keep wringing it out so that its clean

Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by kcphuah
so, using horse hair brush is the best to clean wheel lip? I have been using sponge to clean my wheels, is that too coarse for the wheel lip?
I've been using the zymol horse hair brush for about 10 years now. It is a bit unpredictable because the brush may last 4-5 washes or 30+ and then falls apart. But at $9 a brush, it's the only gentle horse hair brush I know of.