Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Remove all traces of FMJ before polishing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
MidnighTT is on a distinguished road
Remove all traces of FMJ before polishing?

I'm happy with my current arsenal of Menzerna SIP, Nano, and FMJ. The first question is, do I have to remove all traces of FMJ before applying the polishes? If yes, the second question is, with what? IPA?

A related question: Is IPA the go-to product before applying touch-up paint?

Jeff

Old 03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
FMJ is a wax, not a polish. You apply FMJ AFTER all the polishing has been done. I hope I understood your sequence, if not, please let me know.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned
ToddHelme is on a distinguished road
You would not have to remove the FMJ. The bond a sealant forms is very thin (microscopic) so any abrasive polish will quickly remove what ever sealant is on the paint in a split second. The amount of sealant picked up into the compound is so trace that it will not effect the polishing process at all.

Alcohol comes in two main strenghts, 50% (or around there) and 91%(or around there). If you buy the 50% then use it straight. If you buy the 91% you may want to dillute it by one part water. I personally use 91% straight.
Some waxes/sealants seem to tolerate alcohol better.

I personally use DuPont Prep-Sol which a pre paint solvent. However, since it is a solvent, there are certain risks involved in its use. It can dry out rubber and trim instantly, amongst other things.

So you should be fine.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 PM
MidnighTT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
FMJ is a wax, not a polish. You apply FMJ AFTER all the polishing has been done. I hope I understood your sequence, if not, please let me know.
Suppose I have applied FMJ after polishing as usual. Time passes. Time for another polish. There is still some FMJ on the finish, but Todd says not to worry about it (thanks!).

I have 99% IPA, but it sounds like I should cut it with a little DI water.

Jeff

Old 03-23-2008, 11:51 PM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
Correct, any wax, sealant or otherwise protection will easily be removed instantly when an abrasive polish is applied.

Josh

Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
Suppose I have applied FMJ after polishing as usual. Time passes. Time for another polish. There is still some FMJ on the finish, but Todd says not to worry about it (thanks!).

I have 99% IPA, but it sounds like I should cut it with a little DI water.

Jeff
OK; now I got ya. As Josh and Todd have mentioned, by the time you polish, FMJ should be mostly gone. You gotta remember though, synthetics have polymers that are more likely to be resistant to abrisive methods of removal and may need more chemical ways of removing them. I think a few wipe downs with the IPA before polishing should give you more insurance policy. But, since you're staying in the Menzerna family, I wouldn't be too concerned if all the FMJ has been removed.