Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

can someone recommend a wax for my criteria??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 PM
xxterxx is on a distinguished road
can someone recommend a wax for my criteria??

i have a jet black car.....

solvent based paint...

i want deep wet look with very good water beading...

relatively durable...

price is not an issue as long as it is not too expensive like royal glaze solaris or divine

Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Zymol makes absolutely great waxes, buy the best you can afford, but the key to getting a nice deep wet look is the prep work and paint correction that's necessary. If you want a very deep look, you may consider wetsanding the paint flat, as this will ad an incredible depth to the paint. Although you're actually removing clearcoat by wetsanding, you'll have a deeper looking paint job because of the lack of texture/orange peel in the paint.

John

Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xxterxx
i have a jet black car.....

solvent based paint...

i want deep wet look with very good water beading...

relatively durable...

price is not an issue as long as it is not too expensive like royal glaze solaris or divine
I thought I sold you on Zymol Vintage If you're willing to invest the $$, it's probably one of the best in the world. Make sure your prep work is done right though; it's probably the most important step.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:31 PM
im actually still contemplating on vintage or mystery...

i heard from some people that vintage is hard as hell to buff it off

Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I thought I sold you on Zymol Vintage If you're willing to invest the $$, it's probably one of the best in the world. Make sure your prep work is done right though; it's probably the most important step.

I agree with everyone else, it's not about the wax or sealant, it's about the prep work and removing the defects, contamination and swirls that keep the paint looking bad, then wax it with whatever.

I'm a big Zaino fan mainly for it's durability, shine and longevity. It beads very well for a long time, but you must prep the car well first.

Josh

Old 05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
i have been bringing my car to regular detailer who uses menzerna product... their prep work so far has been very good... just that they believe in the FMJ while i am not...

im thinking of buying my own wax and ask them apply it for me

Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
i have been bringing my car to regular detailer who uses menzerna product... their prep work so far has been very good... just that they believe in the FMJ while i am not...

im thinking of buying my own wax and ask them apply it for me
FMJ isn't a true Menzerna product. It's a produc in a Menzerna bottle. Menzerna only makes polishes and the FMJ was made for them by another source.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Premium Sponsor
im actually still contemplating on vintage or mystery...

i heard from some people that vintage is hard as hell to buff it off
Whoever told you that doesn't know how to use Vintage. I've been using it for about 5 years now and it's the easiest product to apply and remove. You just need to know how to use it. Whomever you decide to buy it from should give you a tutorial and in-depth directions on how to apply and remove it.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 PM
agentf1 will become famous soon enoughagentf1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JoshVette
I agree with everyone else, it's not about the wax or sealant, it's about the prep work and removing the defects, contamination and swirls that keep the paint looking bad, then wax it with whatever.

I'm a big Zaino fan mainly for it's durability, shine and longevity. It beads very well for a long time, but you must prep the car well first.

Josh
I have to agree with Josh, I have not found anything that compares to Zaino and I have tried EVERYTHING.

I have also used Vintage and it is a very nice wax and is not hard to buff off at all. But it is still a nuba and shares all of its characteristics such as sweating once it gets hot and does not hold up to heat well or have great durability. If you can get past the cost and prefer a nuba over a sealant Vintage is your wax. I also found Swissvax Concorso to be a nice wax and is more reasonable, relatively speaking.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
either way you go Swissvax or Zymol...make sure the prep work is done properly.

of course I'm on the Swissvax camp....

Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by agentf1
I have to agree with Josh, I have not found anything that compares to Zaino and I have tried EVERYTHING.

I have also used Vintage and it is a very nice wax and is not hard to buff off at all. But it is still a nuba and shares all of its characteristics such as sweating once it gets hot and does not hold up to heat well or have great durability. If you can get past the cost and prefer a nuba over a sealant Vintage is your wax. I also found Swissvax Concorso to be a nice wax and is more reasonable, relatively speaking.
I've had Vintage on my work truck for almost 8 months and have never seen the "sweating" you speak of. What do you mean it sweats? Also, even in hot weather, it has no bearing on the wax since carnauba's melting point is upward of 80-90 degrees. Just don't rub the paint when it's hot and the wax will harden again when the surface cools down. Just curious because I hear a lot about how a certain product doesn't perform as intended and it's usually the technique or application that needs a little tweeking.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:03 PM
J_Edwards will become famous soon enoughJ_Edwards will become famous soon enough
Just as it seems to be the case with many different things, prep has more to do with the finished product than the product used itself.

Or course I am not insinuating that Turtle Wax if properly prepped will perform the same as Vintage, but I am saying that you won't even get close to the optimum performance out of a high end boutique wax like Vintage or Mystery unless you execute your prep stages perfectly.

As Moe pointed out the primary downside of carnubas is their relatively low melting point. A black car left outside in the California summer heat will easily surpass the melting point of that wax, but what does that mean exactly? It means that at that time, with the paint surface above that temperature, that the bond the wax has on the clearcoat surface has been seriously weakened. But that only applies for when the paint is at that temperature. The bond is regained when it drops back down to the wax's standard operating temperatures.

This can have an impact on the overall longevity of the wax, but considering the extremely high standards that these waxes are produced to, I wouldn't view this particular weakness as being extremely disadvantageous.

In my opinion, the added color depth that can be gained from a carnuba over a synthetic paint sealant, especially on black, is more of a benefit than the possible decrease in longevity due to heat degradation. Add in benefits like its simple ability to be layered and applied consistently, and it is a very solid product to rely on.

For my money I am more of a fan of Vintage than of Mystery, although I have yet to try Crystal Rock, a product that I have heard good things about. Although sticking with the original criteria from a price standpoint, Crystal Rock is probably well outside that, and an almost unfair comparison to Vintage.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
I know Moe & I disagree on this, but Concourse doesn't last very long. Deep, warm incredible glow, yup, lasting more then a few weeks or a month, not in my experience.

All of Zymol wax/glazes are a process & need to followed for best results, it does take some practice.

For a show car, or a weekend car it's a great product, for a car left outside, there is much better on the market.

I also feel that FMJ, is crap. It has a very sterol shine, but is very, very easy to apply & remove. It also in my experience doesn't last very long. If you want it, let me know, I have a couple of unopened bottles I will sell you cheap.

IMHO, for looks & ease, 1Z's Glantz is very hard to beat. 90% of the carnuba look, 20% of the work to apply & it will last months, I had my old Audi go all winter with on application.

Stay away from just about anything you can purchase from the local parts store.