Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Smoked Detailed - Major correction, Gloss It put to the test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 PM
BealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud ofBealeAss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Smoke7
The Makita is a rotary polisher meaning it spins in only one constant direction(counter clockwise) where as the PC is a dual action polisher meaning the pad spins in a random orbit, almost like a gyrating effect.

With a rotary you can achieve much higher levels of paint correction and defect removal, in about a fraction of the time. When using a rotary the polish breaks down super smooth and more completely because of its single direction orbit and added power, the difference is night and day. Think of the PC as being a Honda and the Makita as a Porsche turbo . Note that rotary polisher speeds are in RPM and dual action speeds are in OPM(orbitals per minute)

BUT the downside to a rotary is that you can actually cause damage to the paint finish if its used incorrectly. A common mistake people make is called "burning the clear" which basically means they generated to much heat with the polisher and the pad burnt away a piece of clear coat, buring a clear coat is not fixable unless a respray is done. Another common mistake which is super common among unprofessional detail shops that is actually fixable is holograming. Holograms happen when the buffer is moved across the surface to quickly or set at a very high speed,a gumed up pad and other things can cause holograms as well.

This is a basic outline of the use of a rotary polisher. Hope this helps.
Yup perfect. I've become really quite experienced w/ the PC. Maybe it's time to make a move up!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Smoke7 will become famous soon enoughSmoke7 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BealeAss
Yup perfect. I've become really quite experienced w/ the PC. Maybe it's time to make a move up!
A rotary was the best move I ever made, and I never used a PC only a Flex before my Makita so for you a rotary would be an even bigger advantage. Just get some spare panels and practice on them until you get comfortable. Also the Dave KG rotary polishing guide is an awesome read for learning rotary. Google that and you will find a place to dl it.