Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Gloss-it Detail - 1965 Aston Martin DB5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned
Gloss-it is on a distinguished road
Gloss-it Detail - 1965 Aston Martin DB5

Wow... Checkout this great write up from Brian Hare at Detail Werkz our premiere detailer and gloss-it reseller / distributor. Aston Martin had heard about gloss-it and contacted him requesting a Concorso detail with the Signature gloss. Enjoy this rare and beautiful car!

I received a call from Aston Martin of Dallas. They mentioned they just acquired a very rare 1965 DB5 and they needed my Concorso Detail.
I started out doing a foam bath with Dawn to help start the stripping process. I washed the body two times prior to my clay bar treatment.
I used the Gloss-It Green Clay bar and the Dawn soap to clay the vehicle. I clayed all surfaces including the glass and chrome as the whole car had some type of contamination on it. Once the car was completly clayed, I mixed up a batch of Gloss-It Gloss Shampoo and washed the vehicle to remove the dried clay residue. I dried the vehicle using the new Gloss-It microfiber waffle weave drying towels and once the car was dried I used my blower to get all the hidden water dried.
Once I had the car dried I focused on each rim of the car. They were poorly taken care of and needed much attention. I used a great product called Amazing Roll-Off. This product does wonders for wheels that need some heavy cleaning. Spraying the Roll-Off on the rims I let it sit some 30 secs and then using all different kind of brushes I started to agitate the areas of the rim. Once I had a certain area clean I rinsed it and continued with the same process on the next area of the rims. I used a 16 inch brush to deep clean the insides of the rims along with several SOS pads to remove the rust and heavy deposits. It took some time but they came out better than I was really expecting. I will hand polish them at the end of the detail.
Next I had to focus my attention to the motor. The motor was in really bad shape and there was no way I could even think about spraying water on this engine. There were wires, electrical connections everywhere and the dirtiest parts were where the wires connected or screwed down so covering them with some foil would defeat the deep engine cleaning. So I had to do a similar cleaning like I did on the rims. I used the Auto Glym Engine Cleaner and a mixture of Roll-Off in the areas where the build up was the worse. Using the same brushes as I did on the wheels I would agitate the areas and then using a Gloss-It microfiber interior towel I would wipe and clean the area just cleaned. As you can imagine this took some time and even with myself and my assistant the engine took almost 2 hours to hand detail, but it really came out great as you will see in the photos soon.
Next I needed to check the undercarriage. I jacked up the vehicle and using my creeper wiped down as much as I could reach. Surprisingly it was not as dirty as I thought it would be. Looks like the previous seller might had power sprayed it. The bottom of the block and engine area was pretty bad but the Roll-Off made it look fresh and new.
Once all the major cleaning was done it was time for some paint correction. In the showroom lights I noticed quite a few surface scratches and swirls. They were not really bad so I started my correction with my Cyclo, Gloss-It green pads and the Gloss-It Evolution Polish. Once I had the car corrected I applied the Gloss-It Signature Gloss and added an additional coat to really make the paint sing. I finished up the exterior detail by applying a coat of the Gloss Enhancer. Once this was applied the car really had a deep wet shine and the clarity was just crazy.
We started cleaning the interior using Tough Stuff and Gloss-It Satin Leather Cleaner. The carpets were very dirty and using my Cyclo with carpet cleaning brushes brought new life back to them. All the leather in the vehicle was dull and needed some nutrients bad. I applied the Gloss-It T.R.V. on all the leather, plastic and rubber items in the vehicle then topped the leather seats with the Gloss-It Satin Leather Polish.
A little bit of history on the vehicle.
The DB5's were built from 1964 through 1965 during which 1021 examples were produced. 40 examples were built with left hand drive (this being one of those 40). They followed the success of the DB4's and featured similar body work as the 2 door, 4 seater Saloon. The DB name was derived from David Brown, an individual who had purchased the Aston Martin Company. The six cylinder engine was still standard. However, this Tadek Mereck designed straight six was now displacing 3995 cc and was capable of producing 282 horsepower. The Vantage option increased the output rating to 314 bhp.
Most of the DB5s featured a new ZF five-speed transmission.
Unlike the DB4's, the DB5's were equipped with Electric windows and Selectaride type Armstrong Dampers. These were luxuries, but they also increased the weight of the vehicle and decreasing the overall performance. The zero-to-sixty time was 8.1 seconds with the top speed being in the neighborhood of 143 mph.
The DB5 series will be remembered in history as having a staring role in the James Bond Film 'Gold Finger'.
Please enjoy the photos from this detail.

Last edited by Gloss-it; 07-14-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Old 07-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

As a recap the Gloss-It products used in this detail were:
Gloss Shampoo
Green Clay Bar
Evolution Polish
Signature Gloss Polish
Gloss Enhancer
T.R.V.
Satin Leather Cleaner
Satin Leather Polish
Platinum Tire Dressing
Waffle Weave Micro-Fiber Drying Towel
Micro-Fiber polish towel
Cyclo 4 inch yellow/green foam correction pad

Old 07-14-2008, 12:09 PM
mannytt will become famous soon enoughmannytt will become famous soon enough
wow!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
tractorcrusher will become famous soon enoughtractorcrusher will become famous soon enough
Looks freakin amazing! Detail works in Dallas never ceases to amaze me.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
Wow, great job Brian, the paint on that car is flawless with nearly no orange peel at all....

Nice work.
Josh