Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

For Moe: Sufficient kit for good exterior and basic interior work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
SAVED4IT will become famous soon enough
For Moe: Sufficient kit for good exterior and basic interior work

Please excuse me for directing this mainly to Moe, as I can not send him a PM yet because I've yet to post 15 messages. Seems a little silly to me. But I also think it's good general interest post, too, since I did not find such a collection of information in my search.

Dear Moe,

First off, thank you very much for being so active on this site. Your participation here is what made the difference for me to order through your GP site. Also, as opposed to other sites that just list the product, you have detailed descriptions (albeit a little buried) that give the gist on their purpose and how to use them. This is good for newbs like me.

I just bought an 02 996 Turbo in Seal Grey and want to buy a good, solid set of interior and exterior materials to keep my car looking new between professional details. Maybe once a year I'll have a pro (perhaps you!) come visit to keep it in the utmost state. It appears to me to be very well taken care of, although I'm no paint expert. People generally think it's new.

Spending hours reading here and on your site, I compiled a list of items that I think might achieve my goal above. I hope you might read the following list I've put together and feel free to add or subtract items that might be redundant or missing. I've listed towels or cloths in the appropriate sections to note that I understand I need to use them for one purpose only (maybe I'm not getting enough towels?). I do not plan on using power tools. So if I'm missing something to apply or wipe, please add! If you think I should be using different products based on the Porsche paint, please also let me know! Thank you so much!

Also, I'd like to do my first wash/wax this Saturday. If I order tomorrow, can I get it in time?

Pre-wash:
* Moe's 11-step detail guide (yes, I admit I probably don't know how to wash a car correctly--so why risk my paint?)

Wash:
* Zymol Autowash (what's the difference between this and the more expensive autobath?)
* Sheepskin Wash Mitt (for paint)
* 1x Microdrying Cloth

Surface Prep:
* Zymol Lehm-Klay III
* Zymol Lehm Lube (is 8.5 oz enough for one go?)

Polish:
* Zymol HD-Cleanse
* 1x Micropad to apply
* 1x Micropolishing Cloth to wipe clear

Wax:
* Zymol Estate Glaze: Glasur (any reason to spend 3x as much as a PS21 wax?)
* 1x Zymol Wax Applicator
* 1x Microtowel (with long fibers for removing wax)

Interior:
* 1x microglass towel
* Autoglym Interior cleaner (for everything! leather, vinyl, carpet, alcantara)
* Zymol conditioner
* 10x yellow microfiber towel for carpet, wheels, engine, exhaust pipes, leather dash, seats, etc.

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SAVED4IT
Please excuse me for directing this mainly to Moe, as I can not send him a PM yet because I've yet to post 15 messages. Seems a little silly to me. But I also think it's good general interest post, too, since I did not find such a collection of information in my search.

Dear Moe, Please see below:

First off, thank you very much for being so active on this site. Your participation here is what made the difference for me to order through your GP site. Thanks for taking the time to be here. We're trying to make 6speed one of the most valuable tools for detailing on the web. Also, as opposed to other sites that just list the product, you have detailed descriptions (albeit a little buried) that give the gist on their purpose and how to use them. This is good for newbs like me. It takes a lot of extra time, but I think it helps people make sense of why I've specifically chosen a product. Writing unique descriptions is much more helpful than a cut-and-paste descritption IMHO.

I just bought an 02 996 Turbo in Seal Grey Congrats and want to buy a good, solid set of interior and exterior materials to keep my car looking new between professional details. Excellent idea Maybe once a year I'll have a pro (perhaps you!) come visit to keep it in the utmost state. Good plan. I think you may have called me yesterday and left a VM. It appears to me to be very well taken care of, although I'm no paint expert. People generally think it's new.

Spending hours reading here and on your site, I compiled a list of items that I think might achieve my goal above. I hope you might read the following list I've put together and feel free to add or subtract items that might be redundant or missing. I've listed towels or cloths in the appropriate sections to note that I understand I need to use them for one purpose only (maybe I'm not getting enough towels?). I do not plan on using power tools. So if I'm missing something to apply or wipe, please add! If you think I should be using different products based on the Porsche paint, please also let me know! Thank you so much!

Also, I'd like to do my first wash/wax this Saturday. If I order tomorrow, can I get it in time? Yes

Pre-wash:
* Moe's 11-step detail guide (yes, I admit I probably don't know how to wash a car correctly--so why risk my paint?) Not many people know how to wash a car properly. It seems so basic, but there is something to be said about knowing the basics correctly. This little guide re-affirms the correct process that works for me. I'm sure there are other ways that work fine, but this is what I've developed for my clients and for my staff.

Wash:
* Zymol Autowash (what's the difference between this and the more expensive autobath?) Autowash is plant-based (coconut oil) and Clear is animal-based (beef colagen). Clear lasts longer and is more gentle on paint.
* Sheepskin Wash Mitt (for paint)
* 1x Microdrying Cloth Usually 2

Surface Prep:
* Zymol Lehm-Klay III
* Zymol Lehm Lube (is 8.5 oz enough for one go?) yes. The lube will do about 2 cars (porsches)

Polish:
* Zymol HD-Cleanse
* 1x Micropad to apply
* 1x Micropolishing Cloth to wipe clear

Wax:
* Zymol Estate Glaze: Glasur (any reason to spend 3x as much as a PS21 wax?) I'm not a fan of glasur. I think for a little more, Concours is a much better buy. Each jar will do about 50 applications. P21S is a great wax but I think it falls short on durability and depth compared to the zymol.
* 1x Zymol Wax Applicator If you get the higher-end waxes, like Cocnours, you apply with bare hands.
* 1x Microtowel (with long fibers for removing wax) I like to use 2 GP Microtowels.

Interior:
* 1x microglass towel Use 2 towels at a time. One you spray the cleaner on and wipe, the other to buff to a streak-free shine.
* Autoglym Interior cleaner (for everything! leather, vinyl, carpet, alcantara) Autoglym int cleaner works great on everything.
* Zymol conditioner Treat is my conditioner of choice right now.
* 10x yellow microfiber towel for carpet, wheels, engine, exhaust pipes, leather dash, seats, etc.

I'd get the Cocnours Wax kit since it comes with all the stuff mentioned above and it's at a discounted price.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...art-kit/Detail

Also, you should consider some products for the wheels. P21S makes an excellent wheel cleaner, the ez-detail brush cannot be without, and zymol tyre is an excellent tire conditioner that can also be used on all the black trim.

Anyone else feel free to chime in.
Hope this helps

Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Man, sweet Moe. You live and breathe this stuff (hehe, pun). I'll go with the Concours wax then. The previous owner told me not to use any product but soap and water on the wheels as it could mar the finish--I even have to dry it quickly so as not to let a pool of water on the rim lip cause issues. Maybe you know (Work Wheels, VSXX or RXX is the name).

Other than that, I'll pop in the order this morning! Thanks!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Man, sweet Moe. You live and breathe this stuff (hehe, pun). I'll go with the Concours wax then. The previous owner told me not to use any product but soap and water on the wheels as it could mar the finish--I even have to dry it quickly so as not to let a pool of water on the rim lip cause issues. Maybe you know (Work Wheels, VSXX or RXX is the name).

Other than that, I'll pop in the order this morning! Thanks!
Then order the zymol wheel cleaner...it's the safest I have.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Order in! Looking forward to being tired Saturday. If there's any way possible, it would be nice to have different color towels for the various phases so I can keep them straight, but it looked like most were blue. Did manage to get yellow for the interior. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 AM
chardonet will become famous soon enoughchardonet will become famous soon enough
Looks like you are very serious about maintaining your car! To add to Moe's thorough answers, I'd recommend the CR Spotless water deionizer and Airmax air blower units. I truly believe these are essential tools for proper maintenance. Cuts down on dry time, and also eliminates hand drying. I will never again wash a car without these two products.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
The initial buy was $500 including shipping and tax. That's only about 1% of the price of the car, and seems reasonable to me to keep it looking sharp. I wish I had room to put more tools like deionizers and blowers, but I just don't have space. I don't even have a garage (sub let to tenant). The car has to stay outside in the dew in the morning, so I want to protect its finish.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 PM
D!Tailed is on a distinguished road
Moe,

Do you teach/use the two bucket wash method or recommend it? I've been doing that with DirtGuard's in both buckets.

Your thoughts?

D!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
Moe,

Do you teach/use the two bucket wash method or recommend it? I've been doing that with DirtGuard's in both buckets.

Your thoughts?

D!
For me it's easier to do a different method. I rinse the panel, wash it with a mitt, rinse the mitt, and rinse the panel....repeat this process on the rest of the car remembering to work from top to bottom.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
For me it's easier to do a different method. I rinse the panel, wash it with a mitt, rinse the mitt, and rinse the panel....repeat this process on the rest of the car remembering to work from top to bottom.
Yeah, I do the same thing a panel at a time, but I am using one bucket with my car wash mix in it and another with clean water. I get the mitt full of suds, wash the panel(that has been pre and snow foamed and rinsed) then I put the mitt in the rinse bucket and run it against the DirtGuard to agitate the dirt off of the mitt. Then wring it out and back into the wash bucket again running it against the DirtGuard to remove anything that didn't get removed in the rinse bucket, and then on to the next panel. (Well, I actually rinse that first panel before I move on)

anyway, it's a product (the DirtGuard) that I really like! It has made my corrections on repeat cars much easier. I also try to teach all my clients to do the same. I actually did a write up on the 2 bucket method on another site that I could transfer here if people are interested (and it's ok of course)

Thanks!

D!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM
It's okay with me. I enjoy hearing about these techniques. Tomorrow will be my first go at my new car.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll try to get it over here this weekend!

D!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Premium Sponsor
It's okay with me. I enjoy hearing about these techniques. Tomorrow will be my first go at my new car.
Can't wait to see your results. Make sure you take lots of pics to share

You should have the wash mitts by noon tomorrow...I express shipped them...sorry for the mixup.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 AM
No problem, Moe. I bought one at Pep Boys (it looks identical to the one on your site) so I can start early in the morning.

Tonight I went to OSH and Pep Boys to get a few last minute items. Bug and tar remover, glass cleaner, some Lexol (leather cleaner--the autoglym rep told me to use the interior shampoo just for vinyl, carpet, etc.), tire gloss, rags for wiping tires, two buckets, and a giant rubbermaid storage bin in which to put everything. I even got Ziploc bags and labeled them to contain specific microfiber cloths so that I don't mix chemical residue.

Last minute questions:

* On the clay routine, do I rinse and dry as I go on each little section? Or do I clay the whole car and then rinse and dry?

* On polish (HD), how much of that bottle should I be targeting to use? I read one thread that said you don't need to use much, but instructions say "liberally."

* How important is the field glaze for after the wax routine? I didn't buy that.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Premium Sponsor
No problem, Moe. I bought one at Pep Boys (it looks identical to the one on your site) so I can start early in the morning.

Tonight I went to OSH and Pep Boys to get a few last minute items. Bug and tar remover, glass cleaner, some Lexol (leather cleaner--the autoglym rep told me to use the interior shampoo just for vinyl, carpet, etc.), tire gloss, rags for wiping tires, two buckets, and a giant rubbermaid storage bin in which to put everything. I even got Ziploc bags and labeled them to contain specific microfiber cloths so that I don't mix chemical residue.

Last minute questions:

* On the clay routine, do I rinse and dry as I go on each little section? Or do I clay the whole car and then rinse and dry?

* On polish (HD), how much of that bottle should I be targeting to use? I read one thread that said you don't need to use much, but instructions say "liberally."

* How important is the field glaze for after the wax routine? I didn't buy that.
It's rare that the auto parts stores carry the same wash mitt as the one you bought from me. Most wash mitts at auto parts store and walmart, etc. are synthetic lambs wool. The one we sell is 100% australian lambs wool. Much more gentle on the paint and last longer than the synthetic one.

That's so cool you're really into this. I'm very impressed.

As for claying, after a proper wash and drying, clay the whole car. Just take your time and make sure you do a good job of calying; it's the foundation for the whole routine. Once the whole car is clayed, you can use the same microdrying cloth you dried the car with to wipe the car down and remove the clay residue. Your drying cloth should be damp.

Be liberal with the HD. You want to work it into the paint. On concours cars, I'll go through one bottle (8.5oz) per car. For you, just make sure you put about a nicke size dollup on the micropad, work that amount into a half-hood area until there's a slight transparent haze. After a while, since the pad is saturated, you'll be using less hd. The 8.5 oz should do your car about 4-5 times.

Field Glaze and Detail Spray are very important as they provide the sacrifcial layer of wax to prolong the actual layer of wax you're applying. I personally like the new version of Detail Spray better than field glaze. You use this product after each time you wash and dry.

Have fun today and call me if you have any questions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For Moe: Sufficient kit for good exterior and basic interior work