Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Mending a peel in the wheel coating (turbo twists)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Leejai is on a distinguished road
Question Mending a peel in the wheel coating (turbo twists)

After a grueling 10hr/650mile drive home from picking up my 4S, I decided to give the car a proper wash.

Upon inspection, I think I may have scratched the wheel finish. The wheel itself is not damaged, but a plastic-like film on top of it. I'll add a pic later today after I drop off the kids to day care.

I was hoping someone here had ideas on what I could do to further prevent peeling. I'm about to nick a bottle of clear nail polish from the wife, but posting here first in case anyone objects.

All ideas appreciated...and yes - swapping them w/ some R40s did cross my mind as well.

Also - if anyone has recommendations to a professional detail in the Bay Area - please share!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Here's an image I took w/ my mobile:

Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Why Try is infamous around these parts
That is actually the clear coat that is peeling. The wheels probably didnt have proper cleaners on them thus why it actual peels now. You can easily sand down the one where its at and blend it to the corners and would look good as new.

This is what I use to do for a living and still for it as a side job. Hope that helps.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The best thing to do is get the wheel professionally refinished...shouldn't be more than $165. A good detailer up north where you are is Bob Willis...auto concierge. Google him.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys for the tips. I really appreciate it. It's crazy how the smallest scratch/chip/wheel finish blemish will drive us nuts.

BTW - car will be meeting Bob next week at his shop .

Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Leejai
Thanks guys for the tips. I really appreciate it. It's crazy how the smallest scratch/chip/wheel finish blemish will drive us nuts.

BTW - car will be meeting Bob next week at his shop .
Glad to hear things are working out.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys for the tip. Just got the car back from the detail and having the wheels refinished @Wheels America. I'm so happy to have her back (and in this condition thanks to Bob @AutoConcierge), I can't help but share love. Enjoy the pics:

1/2 of wing w/ paint correction:

Old wheel well:

Wheel well cleaned (4hrs per wheel well):

Sun pics

Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Wow, stunning car! Enjoy.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Premium Sponsor
Glad it all worked out. She looks fantastic.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
looks great.
do you have a shot of the wheels?