Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

What do you like/dislike about detailing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Smile What do you like/dislike about detailing?

I cannot tell you how enjoyable it is to get into a clean and nicely detailed car after having a rough day at the office. We all lead very busy lives and most of us are running a business or are in a high-stress environment. The mere act of detailing my truck or my wife's Cayenne, takes me to a more pleasant place where I can escape everything for an hour or two. And when I'm done, ta da!!!!! A clean and glistening token to show for.

What I don't like however, is getting dirty. GO figure....chose the wrong profession for that, huh There's nothing more irritating to me than a long day of detailing, let's say 90+ degree weather, and that sticky feeling. Why, a few weeks ago, we had record heat here in SoCal, and there were days I had to change my clothes twice. But, there is something gratifying about getting your hands dirty and being up close to some amazing cars that others simply dream about or look at in magazines or on their iPads.

So, what's your likes and dislikes. Share....

Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
I applaud you, Moe, and anyone else that has the dedication and patience to do a proper detail. Although I understand the principles and am capable of doing an 'okay' job, I honestly don't find it very relaxing. It's hard physical labor! I supposed it doesn't help that it's 115 degrees out everytime I want to wash my car.
I see car detailing like exercise. I hate the 'during' part, but love the results

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
I applaud you, Moe, and anyone else that has the dedication and patience to do a proper detail. Although I understand the principles and am capable of doing an 'okay' job, I honestly don't find it very relaxing. It's hard physical labor! I supposed it doesn't help that it's 115 degrees out everytime I want to wash my car.
I see car detailing like exercise. I hate the 'during' part, but love the results
I always recommend to clients to split up the routine. Just wash and clay one weekend, polish and/or wax the next weekend.

I was referring to the simple act of washing and spray waxing the car. Maybe a vacuum and wipe down. That is therapy and it only takes an hour or two of the weekend.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I love a clean car but can't say I really enjoy the process. It is quite satisfying after the cleaning is done, I just sit back and enjoy the shine.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
GOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the rough
I hate the wheel wells. Can't seem to ever get them clean without destroying the wash mitt and not fond of having an old used up version around.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Interesting post. I hate polishing and waxing the lower panels of my car (under the doors and by the exhaust, etc). I have a bad back (herniated discs) and bending that low, kneeling or sitting on a bucket while holding the Porter Cable is painful after just a few minutes. I don't need a lift but this is one area a lift would be really useful! Also, I am **** about having my wheels clean. It usually takes me 30 minutes to clean the wheels alone even with using Sonax, various brushes, etc.

Adam

Adam

Old 09-19-2011, 04:37 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
When you have more than a couple of cars that you really care about then it is a very fine line that you are walking on between enjoying it and considering it as a burden. It helps to mix it up. If it is treating the ragtop on one weekend w/ a protectant then it is leatheriquing the interior or treating the plastic/rubber trim on the other. Weekly wash on two of my DD's are mandatory though. But thanks to the toys I got from Moe, I am yet to be bored of the routine.
I have been detailing all my cars for the past 3 years and have not got bored of it but of late I seem to be in a time crunch. I only do it coz I enjoy doing it. Once I have the thought in my mind that OMG, now do I really have to go home and wash or clay or correct paint (that means viewing it like a chore rather than a relaxation) then it is time to pay someone to do it for you. Fortunately I have someone like metropolitan detail in my neck of the woods whom I really trust.
It is the same for high end detailers like Moe, John et al too. They can't detail every single car and they I am sure face the challenge of trying to hire those people (to work for them) who share the same passion for detailing cars as themselves cause all it takes to induce swirls in a customers car is one lackadaisical effort during any carwash for example using the same washpad that was just minutes ago used for a dirty part of the car or not sticking to the one panel at a time routine. I enjoy giving John's crew business every now and then and would love to meet Moe at some point in the future and give him my business.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
I hate the inevitable post-detail rain

Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I really enjoy the process of detailing my cars and thanks to all the great advice and products from here I've had some pretty good outcomes. The one area that I ALWAYS FAIL at is cleaning the inside of the widows, especially the front window. I can never get it to come out without streaks etc. It's so frustrating to look at a well detailed car with a streaky window. What am I doing wrong, or better what should I be doing?

Thanks

Matt

Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Porsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura aboutPorsche Pilot has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Moe about the weather. Polishing in the high heat and humidity in Florida this summer was nuts. Polishing for 10 or more hours in 100+ really reminds you of how old you really are. But, that is the professional side of detailing and the aches and pains come with the territory...especially for a paying client

Now, for my personal cars I enjoy a nice ONR wash and vac. It only takes a few hours and it too is therapeutic. Looking at my spotless, swirl free cars in my garage at night just brings a satisfaction that only "car guys" would understand.

For Matt(inMA) get you one of those triangle head things that you see on TV. Stoners may still sell them. A microfiber towel wrapped around one of those does a really nice job.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:40 PM
kiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to behold
Love the end results, but hate the whole process, however it is worth every minute!!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
Vac, wash, blow dry, wax touch up. I love it regardless of the weather, etc. Too me it is relaxing and requires minimal brain effort. Nothing better than getting in to a car that is clean inside and out. Need a little extra motivation to do the full detail, clay, etc, but I must say since joining this forum and getting the proper equipment and directions it is fast moving up on my enjoyment scale. Finishing my wife's black Cayman and seeing it look better than delvery made the two days worth almost every minute. Unfortunately had a seizure about six weeks ago and cannot now drive for six months.....so detailing has become my only sanctuary for a while.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by ConcreteRon
Vac, wash, blow dry, wax touch up. I love it regardless of the weather, etc. Too me it is relaxing and requires minimal brain effort. Nothing better than getting in to a car that is clean inside and out. Need a little extra motivation to do the full detail, clay, etc, but I must say since joining this forum and getting the proper equipment and directions it is fast moving up on my enjoyment scale. Finishing my wife's black Cayman and seeing it look better than delvery made the two days worth almost every minute. Unfortunately had a seizure about six weeks ago and cannot now drive for six months.....so detailing has become my only sanctuary for a while.
Ron, sorry to hear about your seizure, but glad you're OK.

I cannot tell you how many of our clients view detailing their cars as therapy. Thanks for making us a part of your life.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:58 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
It’s therapy for me; I call it ‘my golf’

From the various e-mails I get many dislike cleaning glass followed by wheels and then the engine bay.

Least understood process; cleaning and care of leather

Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Former Vendor
sales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nice
Spending countless hours detailing takes a lot of focus and attention to detail. Although it takes a very long time, the end result is very satisfying.

Last edited by sales@ECU Tuning Group; 09-23-2011 at 09:15 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you like/dislike about detailing?