Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

OCD detailers help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:23 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
OCD detailers help!

Let me start by saying the more I detail and re search the more OCD I get . I compounded, polished and waxed and the car looks great IMO, BUT the second pic shows LED light on car in the dark. The first and third pic just shows that it looks good in natural light conditions. The second pic show the very minor little marks I am referring to. I am going to seal it so I want to rid those little marks if possible. Those marks do not show under any other conditions including sunlight. I plan on using what I used the first time, Porter Cable. I have a few different color pads. I used two Pinnicle products the first time. I just ordered REFLECTS fine polish and plan to use that before sealing(Cquartz UK). Any input please? Thanks.

Attached Images    

Last edited by cerbomark; 11-21-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:12 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
I can't recommend enough autogeek forums. You will get professional detailers advice over there, not that there aren't those here but more going to be weekend warrior detailers like myself and the opinions will be all over the board.

I have learned so much from that board and some of the pros are so helpful.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:59 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Do you know that 95% of the advice available to detailer’s or given on auto detailing forums comes from car care product vendors or their sponsored associates?

This is especially worrying when you realise that very few have a background in Science or Chemistry. Some detailers are vendor sponsored along with some detailing forums that are pretending to be educators. In reality they are just advertisements, mere salesman.

Those who have something to sell can be very persuasive, often using marketing facts (i.e. blurring the distinction between science and fiction) to make a great case while completely ignoring meaningful points, like their product adds nothing of real value.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:40 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Do you know that 95% of the advice available to detailer’s or given on auto detailing forums comes from car care product vendors or their sponsored associates?

This is especially worrying when you realise that very few have a background in Science or Chemistry. Some detailers are vendor sponsored along with some detailing forums that are pretending to be educators. In reality they are just advertisements, mere salesman.

Those who have something to sell can be very persuasive, often using marketing facts (i.e. blurring the distinction between science and fiction) to make a great case while completely ignoring meaningful points, like their product adds nothing of real value.

Yes I agree... I have lots of products already and look for advise on using what I may already have in my stock. More or less asking what is possible from the spot I m in. That s why I posted a pic or two. I will be experimenting today to see what works best. It s amazing to see what some of the detailers accomplish!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Those are swirl marks/light scratches. LED lights are unforgiving! They show everything! I went from my regular detailing lights to LED's last year and geez! They show defects in the paint so well! They can drive you crazy.

What I would suggest is to polish the car with a light polish and a polishing pad. Medium speed on the PC and this should take care of those minor swirl marks/scratches. Slow arm speed and multiple passes until they are removed.

Seal/coat her up and you will be good to go!

(some products that I have had good luck with on my 991: HD Polish, Menzerna SF4000, Meguiars M205) I know you will and can get a million different recommendations. This is just what has worked well on my Agate grey 991S.

Good luck, have fun and please keep us posted!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Thanks, That s just about what I did. A dawn soap car wash, Reflect polish and Eraser wipe down. Will seal either late tonight or tomorrow. Thanks all!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:06 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Dawn is the worst thing you can use on your paint, ouch. No I am not a chemist as mentioned above but I do know a few folks that detail $200k plus cars and have been doing it for decades so they may know a thing or two without being educated paint chemists. They are also contributors to many detailing forums for assistance.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
2nd photo...at 9 o'clock...i cannot tell if you still have polish to wipe off or it hasn't been polished thoroughly as I see a slight haze and some microscratches. It would help to know exact polish/pad combo and the speed of PC and your arm movement speed as well.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:05 AM
all done. Microscratches came out well. Sealed with Cquartz. Much deeper richer paint. Much clearer after polish with reflect. I did the wheels off with cquarts also. Not a DD so it should last a while. Thanks all.

Attached Images    
Old 11-14-2015, 10:16 AM
PS/ used an orange pad, speed 6 on the PC, about four slow passes, (two vertical, two horizontal)... thanks Moe.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Came out great! Nice shine and depth! Good gloss!!! Well done!

Old 11-15-2015, 07:57 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Dawn is the worst thing you can use on your paint, ouch. No I am not a chemist as mentioned above but I do know a few folks that detail $200k plus cars and have been doing it for decades so they may know a thing or two without being educated paint chemists. They are also contributors to many detailing forums for assistance.
I'm a 40 year Chemical Engineer and I've been involved in detailing for approx 55 years; dish washing liquid is not the most suitable car wash product but unless its used very, very often will not harm paint

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2013...nt-use-of.html

Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 AM
That s what I believe, it does strip wax nicely and has caused me no harm.I only use a few drops in the bucket. I will use it again when I de wax my daily driver to apply the cquartz.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:38 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cerbomark
all done. Microscratches came out well. Sealed with Cquartz. Much deeper richer paint. Much clearer after polish with reflect. I did the wheels off with cquarts also. Not a DD so it should last a while. Thanks all.
Great job Mark, congrats!

May I ask for yours and the other experts here for some help regarding the following on my 997.2: 1.) regarding embedded water spots on my rear deck lid. They are water spots stained from my home garden hose, which got worst after driving through Vegas in 130 degree heat over the summer. - I've used MDR with no result and my DA polisher pad doesn't seem to do anything regardless of pad color type and level of polish abrasiveness since the horizontal surfaces of the deck lid have been too narrow for even the smallest 4" pad I could find to allow contact....any tips, suggestions for this issue?

2.) secondly during the drive through the hot Vegas roads there were many bugs splattered on my front bumper and side mirrors. They came off after a wash, but it seems their print baked onto the bumper and side mirrors, and I can't get them off. Strangely the hood does not have this problem however, so it must have to do with the painted plastic surface in the bumper and side mirrors.

Many thanks as always for any help and information you can share to resolve the water spot issues on the deck lid and bug stain on the bumper and side mirrors...

Last edited by vg247; 01-24-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 AM
For the water spots/ on a cool surface try a mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and just spray(let sit a min.) and wipe down with a soft cloth.... Sometimes the chemical reaction between the vinegar and hard water stains removes them.

Bug stuff should come off with a wash and a wax/cleaner or polish type product. I have used the purple degreaser stuff (diluted 1/2)... Caution it s not really for paint. I wet the car down first to further dilute. Then re wax. If you have to go buy the stuff then I would suggest you just buy a bug remover type solution. Heck, I d even try the vinegar solution> That won t hurt anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OCD detailers help!