Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detailing tips from Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Detailing tips from Moe

Hi guys. I started to get some detailing questions from another thread in another forum. I decided to start this one here. Please be advised....I know there are many products and many ways of maintaining your car....these tips are our way of detailing at Glistening Perfection and the products we use to get the result we get at our company. So with that said, let's get to work

Old 01-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
1st question
Moe my detailing process goes something like this:

I use dawn to strip all wax off the car, followed by claybar and rewash with car washing soap (usually zaino). After that I apply a coat of zaino Z2 followed by their detailing spray. I don't use the dawn everytime I wash probably about every ten or so coats of zaino. Now that my car is three years old the paint is in better condition than most but being the fanatic I am I still notice some hairline scratches when i'm up close to the paint. While not noticeable while looking at the car from ten feet away it still drives me nuts I want to get that real think feel back in the paint. Any suggestions Moe. I'm willing to invest plenty of time.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Moe's response:

Ben, your routine seems to be fine. You shouldn't need to wax your car more than 3 times per year. If your car is at the level I think it is, and hopefully your detailing skills as well, you may want to invest in a Porter Cable Dual Action polisher. Theyr're usually around $130. Use the Meguiar's SoftBuff pads and their #83 compund w/ the 8006 pad. Then follow up with a good polish, I like Zymol's HD-Cleasne using the 9006 pad. Then apply the same HD-Cleanse polish by hand and you're ready to wax. I would recommend Zymol's Titanium or Concourse glaze. If you maintain your car weekly, you should get 3-5 months of not waxing. By the way guys, I'm starting a thread on the detailing forum out of respect for others who do not want to hear us talk shop. I'll post a link here.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Premium Sponsor
Old 01-14-2006, 01:25 PM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
Moe,
Thanks for starting the thread.
I've got streaks in my hood.
Used Dawn, then clay bar, tried Rejex and noticed streaks that followed the north south application pattern.

Used Dawn and tried Meguiars NXT Tech 21 - streaks.

Used Dawn, tried the Zaino route, Z1, 3 coats of Z5 (fine scratch filler) then 1 coat of Z2.
Streaks seemed to be present during Z5.

Any ideas?
Mike

Old 01-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Premium Sponsor
You're introducing too many synthetic agents in your finish. We had this problem with the Black GT2 we did for the LA Auto Show. It had rejex on it and synthetics don’t react too well with Zymöl. Zymöl products can only be used with other products not containing silicone. Here's what I'm going to do to the GT2 after the show. Wash the paint and crack the silicone using Zymöl Strik and Auto Wash. Then, I'll clay the car using Zymöl’s Wheel Cleaner. I will then do a 5 stage buff using the DA and Meguiar's #83 and #84 then follow up with Zymöl’s HD-Cleanse. The final step is to wax the car. Hope this helps you Mike. By the way guys, please be advised that all the tips I suggest are just that, tips. If you're local, you can go through a tech session and learn how to do anything we do. For those of you outside our borders of Orange County, CA, please follow the direction with caution. Glistening Perfection and its staff is not responsible for any damage to your car/s. Sorry to be so formal; my attorney would kill me if I didn't give the caution statement.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 05-03-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
Thanks Moe.
I was afraid that I'd see clay in your answer.
Having spent all day last Saturday monkeying around with it, I may endure the streaks for another week.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Premium Sponsor
Clay is very easy to use provided you have the correct type and are using the specified lubricant. Let me know if you need some. It is very easy to use and contrary to what some claims have been made, it will not damge your finish.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 PM
ExtinctM3 has a spectacular aura aboutExtinctM3 has a spectacular aura about
I know this thread is months old but what the hey. I'm new to the detailing scene but want to learn as much as i can. Where can i read and learn some stuff. I've already read autogeeks.com so what else is there?

Old 03-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Premium Sponsor
Why not try our site M3? If you have specific questions, please post them here for everyone to see and learn from.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Ok i got a question for you now that we are moving into spring, what are the effects of pollen on our clearcoats and wax?

Old 04-05-2006, 08:47 PM
hamiam is on a distinguished road
Clearcoat

Is my 2005 Cayenne S in Titanium color clear coated? I just need to know so I can order the correct Zaino products.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Premium Sponsor
yes hamiam..most, if not all, late model cars have a clear coat.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Premium Sponsor
To my knowledge, Extinct, pollen really has no damaging effect on your finish. As for the effect on wax, that's a different story. I'm no chemist, but I did take chemistry when I was pre-med, but anything coming in contact with the wax on your finish will alter and effect the chemical makeup of the wax you've applied. Rule of thumb, wax is the sacrificial layer..keep it there, and you've spared your clear coat. Hope this helps...I am going to look into the effects of pollen on paint and if I find anything material, I will post it here

Old 04-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks moe.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:36 AM
dyu2118 is on a distinguished road
Here's a question:

I recently washed and waxed my car with Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax. If you run your fingers through some areas, you don't get that "glassy/smooth" feel. Instead, it feels like there's no wax on it. Water beads up on all areas though. Should I apply another coat of wax or will it be ok until next time? Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Detailing tips from Moe