Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Waterspot problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Waterspot problem

I am having a major difficult time getting rid of waterspots near the "boxster" emblem area at the trunk area. I've already debadged it and tried using vinegar, goo-gone, and some special wax but i can still see the outline of the emblem. Does anyone know if there's any other way to get rid of it before i take it into a detail shop and see if they can do it? Thanks...

Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
kimcheebowl is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BB987
I am having a major difficult time getting rid of waterspots near the "boxster" emblem area at the trunk area. I've already debadged it and tried using vinegar, goo-gone, and some special wax but i can still see the outline of the emblem. Does anyone know if there's any other way to get rid of it before i take it into a detail shop and see if they can do it? Thanks...
Sounds like you have water spot etching... if it were surface, vinegar or an adhesive remover will remove it. You'll need to either polish it out with a random orbital or have a professional with a rotary buff it out.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on what was in the water, you have a few choices. If the spot looks like a water outline, by that I mean the center of the water spot is clear and glossy like the rest of your paint, but you can make out the outline of the spot, then you can polish it by hand or a DA polisher. If the spots look slightly cloudy, then a good polishing with a high speed and/or colorsanding will take care of it; best left to a pro. If the spot looks like a crater, by that I mean you look at it in different angles and it looks like it is dipping into the paint to create a slight valley, then that will need to be repainted. A pic would help us diagnose.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Depending on what was in the water, you have a few choices. If the spot looks like a water outline, by that I mean the center of the water spot is clear and glossy like the rest of your paint, but you can make out the outline of the spot, then you can polish it by hand or a DA polisher. If the spots look slightly cloudy, then a good polishing with a high speed and/or colorsanding will take care of it; best left to a pro. If the spot looks like a crater, by that I mean you look at it in different angles and it looks like it is dipping into the paint to create a slight valley, then that will need to be repainted. A pic would help us diagnose.
Definitely, i will post a pic up tommorrow and let you experts take a look...for now, it looks more like the water spot outline but already used some special polish i got but still doesn't work. Anyhow, will post it up as soon as i can and let you guys have a second opinion...thanks!

Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
jaxbch987 will become famous soon enough

moe, good tips, i had the same problem and asked you a few weeks ago. i got my new car home, washed it, clayed it and applied griot's best of show wax when i noticed the water spots. i was sucessful today at using griot's fine hand polish working a small area at a time and got all of the water spots out (down the drivers side stating behind the front wheels back to the rear fender). put two coats of best of show wax on it after that and it looks amazing!! b/c i was able to polish those out, what does that mean, like, the paint was not etched but rather just surface spots? thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
What you were able to polish out was the minerals in the water. For the future, you should keep a product like speed shine or Zymol Detail in your car. This way when sprinklers go off on your car or an atomic bird poop drops, you can quickly clean it with your detail spray and microfiber towel. Glad to hear it all worked out

Old 10-23-2006, 01:47 PM
jaxbch987 will become famous soon enough
What you were able to polish out was the minerals in the water. For the future, you should keep a product like speed shine or Zymol Detail in your car. This way when sprinklers go off on your car or an atomic bird poop drops, you can quickly clean it with your detail spray and microfiber towel. Glad to hear it all worked out
just got two bottle of speed shine with my fine hand polish!! i will keep one in the car with a microfiber cloth. you rock bro. have a good rest of the weekend. GO JAGS!