Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best way to remove dirt/dust from daily commute?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:26 PM
ahsans is on a distinguished road
Best way to remove dirt/dust from daily commute?

What is the best way to remove dust and dirt that collects on a vehicle during a daily commute? From what I've read here, something like the California Car Duster is good for removing dust that collects on a clean vehicle when stored in the garage, but may damage a vehicle if it has dirt on it.

I'd like to spend a few minutes after my commute from work everyday to keep my Porsche as clean as possible, so what should I do? Use a damp microfiber cloth and wipe the car down?

I searched through this forum and I could not find an answer to the question.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 AM
JON913D is on a distinguished road
I think you have to be really careful - you could very easily make a much bigger mess or problem (in the way of swirls). IMO not worth it - just wash the entire car every other day if you want to go nuts (use DEIO water to eliminate the need to dry).

just my .02

Old 06-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
You can either use a natural wool duster from Zymol to get the superficial dust of or a blower that filters the air. Whatever you do, please don't wipe a car down with a microfiber after it's been driven. The dust and dirt you see may be small to the naken eye, but they act like microscopic rocks further scratching the finish.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I have this problem with showing my car. I wash the car, and then drive it to the venue, and by the time I get there, it's completely dusty and I'd really like to find a safe way to get it shiny for the show.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned
TheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these parts
I use QD....

Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Well my current practice is spraying the car with quick detailer, and lightly wiping the car to take the dust offf with the quick detailer acting as a lubricant. Then when the dust is off, I spray more detailer to shine the car back up.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Jon -- What is DEIO water?

Moe -- So a wool duster from Zymol is sufficient to dust off the car after a daily commute? I'd definitely be interested in picking up one of those. I saw in a previous post you also recommend a no-rinse wash. That might be good for me, as I live in an apartment complex so my water supply for a wash would be whatever I can carry down from my apartment.

What's QD?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned
TheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these partsTheDon is infamous around these parts
QD is quick detailer. ex meguars

Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
JON913D is on a distinguished road
ahsans -

I am referring to deionized water, there are a few threads out there. I used the CRSpotless unit for my mobile detailing business. The filters take the crud out of the water that leaves spots (laymans terms) - saving time and reducing the chance of you scratching the car while drying.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks Jon and TheDon. It looks like I have a lot of learning to do.

What do you guys think of hand carwashes? Can anyone recommend any good ones in the OC area?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ahsans
Jon -- What is DEIO water?

Moe -- So a wool duster from Zymol is sufficient to dust off the car after a daily commute? I'd definitely be interested in picking up one of those. I saw in a previous post you also recommend a no-rinse wash. That might be good for me, as I live in an apartment complex so my water supply for a wash would be whatever I can carry down from my apartment.

What's QD?
The Zymol duster is a good tool to have for when you drive a short distance and just need to get the light dust off. We use at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance when cars get pulled on the field on judging day. It is not to take the place of washing, rather get the light debris off. I have yet to use the Optimum No Rinse wash but hear good things about it. I know a lot of guys use a Quick Detailer product to wipe the car down, but I'm not a big fan of that. I've seen what the wipdown can do to a finish; not good. The best thing to do is wash the car. The No rinse should help; ideally you could go to a coin wash and wash the car using your own products. But I'm a realist and know our daily hectic schedules don't always allow for this. See if you can take it to a buddy's house and maybe you guys can wash both your cars and you bring the beers

Old 06-09-2007, 03:00 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by ahsans
Thanks Jon and TheDon. It looks like I have a lot of learning to do.

What do you guys think of hand carwashes? Can anyone recommend any good ones in the OC area?
Where in OC are? There are good hand washes and do it yourself washes too.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 AM
I live in Fullerton but work in Irvine, so anywhere in-between would be convenient for me. A nice, cost-friendly hand-wash location would be ideal. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Moe,
How about a rinse with a full stream out of a hose. ( no nozzle ) and than a wipe using a qd as lube? That is what I did today and it seemed to work pretty well and only took a few minutes.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 06-09-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 PM
porschenut911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Moe,
How about a rinse with a full stream out of a hose. ( no nozzle ) and than a wipe using a qd as lube? That is what I did today and it seemed to work pretty well and only took a few minutes.
That's what I do too, little dust I just use the duster and qd from Adam's. A lot, I rinse and then do the qd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best way to remove dirt/dust from daily commute?