Visiting Dubai - any local recommendations?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 PM
drivhrd is on a distinguished road
Visiting Dubai - any local recommendations?

Hi everyone, I'm going to be in Dubai on business from January 31 through February 6. I was wondering if any of the locals, or those familiar with Dubai, have any recommendations on places to go, things to do, restaurants, etc. I expect to have a bit of free time. Of course, I'd be especially interested in anything to do with motorsports and the local sports/exotics scene -- any meets planned in the next few weeks (it would be nice to meet local 6speeders). And any nightlife recommendations would be much appreciated as well

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 AM
Finality is infamous around these partsFinality is infamous around these parts
I'm actually heading out of town on the 1st of Feb till about the 13th, but I'll give you a few hints.

Where are you staying? Nightlife try 360 @ Jumeirah Beach Hotel as a pre place. There are some new regs regarding outdoor music I don't know if thats been lifted yet.

For clubbing try Trilogy @ Madinat Jumeirah, drinks & dinner anywhere in the Madinat complex. One of the ultra exclusive places is 400 club @ The Fairmont but its a bit hard to get into. Otherwise Sho Chos @ the Dubai Marine Beach Hotel for a great outdoor venue.

Buddha Bar @ Grovsenor house is always great for dinner & drinks. There are a lot of great restraunts in Dubai just ask your concierge for recommendations if you have a cuisine in mind.

You can always check out the cars at all the hotels I don't know of any proper meets but there is a Porsche Autodrome day on the 1st of Feb, but I don't think its an open event.

As far as shopping malls go check out Mall of the Emirates has a few really nice restraunts and of course the ski slope. If you want to pickup high end items like watches etc its also a good place to go to but check out Bur Juman Shopping Mall also it has a lot of the boutique stores.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks very much Finality. Much appreciated. Too bad I'll miss you this time, but I'll try to put your recommendations to good use!

Cheers.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 AM
993rsr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up PorscheAutodrome

....you should go there and see it yourself.
There should be a mix of models/years.
Also you will be wellcome at any sales-shops and maybe they let you drive one? Just try it -it´s way easier to get a car for a testdrive than in the Staates or Europe.....soooooooooo many cars in stock!
Take the SheikSayed and you ll see! Shops special for Porsche you will find with your new friends from the Porsche Club .

The bars&restaurants......ey: Dubai is loaded ! Don´t go alone: Bring your wife with you and you will spend most of your time in one of the malls.

Some recom shops: MTM, ExoticCars, Alain, HOC, Qatermile......also: there is no end in that list!

Have some nice days there

Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks 993rsr. Good info! Leaving for Dubai tonight and looking forward to it.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 AM
993rsr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

...and if you re nterested in culture-stuff....during my time down there I was stunned by the way the Arab love to explain you everything! -but this you will find out yourself. It´s a nice place -that´s why I try to be there every year. And even in the summer: It will never as bad as in Florida or elsewhere....and the Temp will never raise above official Temp !

Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 PM
John Gaarg is an unknown quantity at this point
Just take a car or cab and drive around the city ) At the expense of rent, if you still decide to take the car, I can advise you to https://paddockrentacar.com/mercedes/]rent a Mercedes at Paddock . I have used their services several times and always stay very satisfied with the quality and condition of the cars.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-20-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:14 PM
motorheat is on a distinguished road
Dubai is a city and emirate on the Persian Gulf coast in the United Arab Emirates, which is famous for its luxurious shops, cutting-edge architecture, restaurants and nightclubs. Therefore, I advise you to visit one of them. Also, you need to rent a car to move around the city. If anyone can, recommend a good site

Last edited by motorheat; 04-27-2020 at 12:51 PM.