2009 Porsche 911 Revealed With Direct Injection, Dual-Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 AM
bashir26 is on a distinguished road
2009 Porsche 911 Revealed With Direct Injection, Dual-Clutch

Not only do we get news this morning of a whole host of upgrades for the 2009 Porsche 911 lineup, we now finally get a look at the facelift that goes along with 'em. Just as we saw in the leaked information from last month, the newly refreshed Porsches get power bumps across the range, thanks to a direct injection system it'll get 20 HP more in the regular old 911 (345 HP) and 30 HP in the Carrera S (385 HP). To go along with that added grunt, the cars get the new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission able to shift itself without removing power from the wheels — whoa. It seems you can teach an old Bruce a new trick. Full press release after the jump.
http://jalopnik.com/395230/2009-pors...elift-revealed

Old 06-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Apex944 is on a distinguished road
missed the mark?

Technically amazing but they've missed the mark with the tail ights and the shifting mechanisms... while Porsche sequential shift race cars (and all? others) use forward to downshift and backward for upshift, Porsche has done the new trans the opposite way. This baffles the mind. Furthermore the "paddles" on the steering wheel are not. They are PUSH buttons... we all know how much more finesse and accuracy your muscles have "pullling" instead of pushing....

Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
neilwight is on a distinguished road
agreed with all you said.
those tail lights are too bat mobile/ fast and furious for me, i wonder if theres an option on the list to have regular lights instead of LEDs, wouldnt that be great.

ref the sequential, thats very counter intuitive if thats the case regarding direction for gear change. given their track cars dont do it this way i see no reason why the road cars would, what about all that pedigree through racing mantra.
as for buttons on the wheel. no no no no......no
if you dont want to make paddles fair enough, just make a very nice gear lever resembling a manual and have that give sole control. steering wheel buttons are dumb and outdated and will offset any advances made with their auto boxes by keeping the interface like that of a game controler and drive interaction at zero.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
probably designed the steering wheel like this for safety... if they had shift paddles a la f430 that makes you have less grip on the steering wheel... pushbuttons would work just fine... you have more grip and can use your thumbs to upshift/downshift... just because they have done something different doesn't mean it wont work well...

I disagree it would be counter intuitive .. its a more a training/getting use to issue...

but in the end I would have to drive one and see how it felt after an hour...

does anybody know with PDK if you can change gears from the lever itself on the console?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by C70Pete
probably designed the steering wheel like this for safety... if they had shift paddles a la f430 that makes you have less grip on the steering wheel... pushbuttons would work just fine... you have more grip and can use your thumbs to upshift/downshift... just because they have done something different doesn't mean it wont work well...

I disagree it would be counter intuitive .. its a more a training/getting use to issue...

but in the end I would have to drive one and see how it felt after an hour...

does anybody know with PDK if you can change gears from the lever itself on the console?
actually, if your at a place where your hands CANT stay at a perfect 3 and 9 position on the wheel (say a 30 mph hairpin), having to push something thats now twisted up seems much harder than just being able to pull a paddle. Thats just me though...I love my SMG in the m5...

Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sechsgang
actually, if your at a place where your hands CANT stay at a perfect 3 and 9 position on the wheel (say a 30 mph hairpin), having to push something thats now twisted up seems much harder than just being able to pull a paddle. Thats just me though...I love my SMG in the m5...
well.. I guess we won't know for sure until we try it.. even in a hair pin, with a 3-9 hand position... your finger should be able to pull up the lever.... I'm gonna try one hopefully soon and give a write up on what I find... I can't imagine Porsche screwing up something so important... but who knows!?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I mean, I dont think it will kill the car, but there is a reason why racecars either use a standard manual, paddles (ok, REAR, single command pushbuttons on say an f1 car) or a sequential. If these buttons are single command, then it wont be bad, but I know I wouldnt want to search for the top or bottom of the button if things get a bit hairy...know what I mean?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned
tennishero is infamous around these partstennishero is infamous around these parts
[quote=bashir26;1887355]

impressive.when and how much?...I wish the factory would shorten the wheel base and add sports exhaust..