Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

DBS/DB9 vs. F430 vs. R8 vs. Gallardo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Admiration is on a distinguished road
DBS/DB9 vs. F430 vs. R8 vs. Gallardo

I'm in the market for a supercar and these are the ones on my list. Obviously they are not all the same type of car nor the same price. I want an eye catching car, that is sporty but can be driven as a daily driving car. The R8 is the cheapest of the bunch but i'm not sold on it's looks. Is the price difference between the DBS and DB9 worth it? I think my decision will be between the DBS/DB9 and the F430. I need pros and cons of each. They all having stunning looks.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 PM
AuJericho is on a distinguished road
Any man whose heart, mind and soul has elevated him to a level where he is able to choose between a a Ferrari, Aston Martin and Lamborghini should never look any farther than that same heart, mind and soul in making the choice.

In short, if this is a question you can afford to ask, then you are, by default, your own best counsel.

That being said, while any of the options mentioned will get you attention from the populace and satisifaction from the engineering, let's be honest....

If god himself had to pick just one car, could you possibly imagine it being anything but a Ferrari?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
We can't answer this.
Drive them both and then decide.

I don't really care for the DB9. It is beautiful, luxurious, and a great tourer... But that is it. The DBS is breath-taking, has more power mated to a 6MT, and a nicer interior. Worth the upgrade? Maybe; I would not consider a DB9.
The F430 is a different animal. More visceral, faster, agile, louder, eye-catching, etc. Can you drive it daily? Yes, people do. But it can be a handful.
Actually, the R8 sounds like the best bet for you since it seems to blend the F430 with the DB9 the best. Too bad you aren't fond of it's looks. I think it's gorgeous.
The Gallardo is basically an R8.. but a little sportier. Also a great choice if you don't like the R8's looks.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Admiration is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WyattH
We can't answer this.

I don't really care for the DB9. It is beautiful, luxurious, and a great tourer... But that is it. The DBS is breath-taking, has more power mated to a 6MT, and a nicer interior. Worth the upgrade? Maybe; I would not consider a DB9.
The F430 is a different animal. More visceral, faster, agile, louder, eye-catching, etc. Can you drive it daily? Yes, people do. But it can be a handful.
Actually, the R8 sounds like the best bet for you since it seems to blend the F430 with the DB9 the best. Too bad you aren't fond of it's looks. I think it's gorgeous.
The Gallardo is basically an R8.. but a little sportier. Also a great choice if you don't like the R8's looks.
Thank you guys, this really helped me out. I will definately be sure to see all these cars in person though.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:46 PM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
Look at the new Aston Vantage. Best looking car of the bunch and it is a true daily driver.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 PM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Admiration
I'm in the market for a supercar and these are the ones on my list. Obviously they are not all the same type of car nor the same price. I want an eye catching car, that is sporty but can be driven as a daily driving car. The R8 is the cheapest of the bunch but i'm not sold on it's looks. Is the price difference between the DBS and DB9 worth it? I think my decision will be between the DBS/DB9 and the F430. I need pros and cons of each. They all having stunning looks.
430 hands down!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WyattH
We can't answer this.

The DB9 can be had in manual and the power difference is negligible.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned
braincuttermd is on a distinguished road
I've been in my share of Astons and they are very comfortable cars with a touring feel to them. Not a bad choice for daily driving but not a real sports cars like a Ferrari or Porsche. The Lamborghini Gallardo is supposed to be reliable with an Audi platform, but man, that thing draws way too much attention for my taste for a daily driver. Same for the Ferrari, but somehow, it's forgiveable in a Ferrari, especially if it's not in a eye-catching red.

I would go for the Ferrari in black as a first choice, the R8 as a second choice and the Gallardo as a distant third just because I don't care for the extreme styling cues and would consider the Aston as a daily only if I had a weekend canyon bomber already.

Sounds like for you, you should go with the Gallardo first, Ferrari second, Aston 3rd and R8 last.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
My suggestion: Drive all of them to decide which you like the best. All are very good looking cars, high quality materials, etc. It really comes down to which car you enjoy driving the most. It should also fit your needs, which can be a bummer sometimes.

Now my opinion on the matter:
Having driven all you've mentioned (excluding the DBS), 430 without question. This car is on a different level than all the rest-you need to drive it to understand. It can definitely be a dd, depends on how crazy you get about keeping it clean, scratch free, where to park it, etc. The suspension is very smooth imo, smoother than my 996 turbo. F1 transmission makes it a synch to drive in traffic. Steering feel is unbelievable. Best car I have ever driven.

The astons are pretty, but perform poorly for the money. The lambo is hot looking and performs great (better than 430), but lacks that special feeling that only a Ferrari can give you. It drives like an Audi...a really fast Audi. Drive the 430 and Gallardo back-to-back, you'll see. It's also not any more of a dd than the 430 (except for 4wd). If you want 100% daily drivability, go for the R8. Handles great, but is far from the fastest. Transmission isn't the greatest either.

I'm a little upset about the lack of Porsche on this list. The 997 turbo is the best combo of performance and drivability of any supercar, period. Put this car on your list right now. If your stuck on the "lack of exclusivity" idea, check out the Techart GT Street bodykit. You can make this car faster most easily than the others mentioned. GT3 is a phenomenal driver's car, but not a dd by far, same goes for the GT2.

If you find you could drive the 430 every day, buy one, it will not disappoint.

Last edited by ZBOSS; 07-05-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Epik151 has a spectacular aura aboutEpik151 has a spectacular aura about
Porsches are great cars but have suffered from brand dilution too much.

Not on the same level as Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, or even Maserati to most.

I think DBS is a pretty strong contender with the 430. I would go with one of those. DBS is a bit classier whereas the 430 might draw negative stereotyping but is the superior sports car. Interior is much better in the Aston and is probably a bit better as a DD.

What are your thoughts on the Gallardo, OP? I see you left it out of the 3 you are learning towards.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 AM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
DBS, equals classy daily driver. F430 is now several years old and their are more F430's made a year then even my V8 Vantage. You can buy a 2005 F430 with less then 10K miles for under $140K if you want to look new but go used.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 PM
brett93 is on a distinguished road
Have you considered waiting for a v12 vantage?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 AM
SilverEdge is on a distinguished road
Have driven all except DBS. Owned a 430. Have a 997 C2S as my DD. Have an R8 - it replaced the 430. The new Gallardo has he best iteration of the clutchless manual tranny compared to the 430 (2nd) and the R8 (3rd). The R8 is the easiest, by far, to drive fast. Stable and secure at any speed. The 430 is the quickest and lightest and most thrilling. Used Gallardo probably the best exotic deal right now. V8 Vantage nice but not really in the same league performance-wise. 12 cylinder Vantage might be great - haven't seen one yet.

No doubt they are all drool-worthy in some way. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 PM
tuninigcraft is on a distinguished road
Same question F430 vs Gallardo

Hi
Have the same trouble as Admiration
No test drive available in Moscow, cant choose between F430 and Gallardo.
most time is daily driver. Which one is more user-freindly? Performance?
or may be look for 612?
thank you
Alexander

Old 07-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Flu
Flu is on a distinguished road
most fun to drive? prolly the 430. so id go with that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DBS/DB9 vs. F430 vs. R8 vs. Gallardo