Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

F430 Aero Development

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Former Vendor
Wingman (AeroM) is on a distinguished road
F430 Aero Development

Here's a quick look at the aero package we're developing for the F430's. As the Porsche guys know, we make active wings that automatically adjust to provide more downforce under braking, and less drag on the straights. Think of it like aerodynamic traction control. They're worth about 2 seconds off a two minute lap.

In the case of this F430, we've been tuning the aero balance of the front splitter with the rear wing. The shot bellow shows wind tunnel testing on a 180mph rolling road treadmill. The stainless steel belt matches the airspeed of the tunnel to accurately simulate a car traveling over the road. It's wild, and incredibly accurate. You can see the car at the Cavallino Classic in January.

We'll post updates as the project progresses. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Greg

Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
question.
is there a cooler job out there than yours ?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
another question.
can you teach us about aerodynamics ? any tips on getting our cars a bit more aerodynamically tuned ? ie tire pressures, or ride height etc etc.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
Sure, do you have a 996 TT? Here's an interesting thread on our rear wing development for the 911's. There last page shows a CFD picture that will give you an idea of how the air flows around the 911's (which are all a bit different, but substantially the same.)https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-moves.html

To your questions, the ride height is the driver. You want your front lip as low to the ground as possible (the NASCAR boys call this the air dam). You're essentially reducing the amount of air under the car, and increasing that which flows over the car. This has two effects. 1, the underside of the car is dirtier than the top side. Less air hitting the wall known as your tires is better. 2, you're dropping the pressure under the car, which also sucks the car to the road (ground effect).

I'll start a new thread after xmass in the Porsche section that goes over the splitters, etc.

Greg

Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
another question.
can you teach us about aerodynamics ? any tips on getting our cars a bit more aerodynamically tuned ? ie tire pressures, or ride height etc etc.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:05 AM
turbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to behold
what CFD program are you using for design? I'm assuming you aren't doing this only on the rolling road. Who's tunnel are you using? I'm not familiar with one in the Cambridge area. Any photos or drawings of the airfoil itself?

oh - I just saw your water mark. This is the same aeromotions wing used in other applications or are you doing design specifically for the 430?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud of
Great work guys!

We just had installed one of their new S1 wings on a GT-R last week. The installation of the wing was flawless and the quality is second to none. Check it out!

Tray

Old 12-17-2010, 11:57 AM
turbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to behold
are the motors beefy enough to handle a bigger air foil?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor
We use Fluent, xFoil, and PowerFlow, depending on what we're simulating. They're all strong programs.

The Windshear tunnel is in North Carolina.

Here's a link to photos of the carbon fiber wings

This wing and computer tune is being developed specifically for the F430. It's the most advanced package we've ever made. We'll be back in the tunnel in about a week.

Greg

Originally Posted by turbomx5
what CFD program are you using for design? I'm assuming you aren't doing this only on the rolling road. Who's tunnel are you using? I'm not familiar with one in the Cambridge area. Any photos or drawings of the airfoil itself?

oh - I just saw your water mark. This is the same aeromotions wing used in other applications or are you doing design specifically for the 430?
How big of a wing do you want to use? And why?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Former Vendor
Here's the Red Bull Pikes Peak car. Rhys wanted huge downforce, so we actuated the rear airfoil. F1 teams are allowed to do this next year, so you'll be seeing more wings like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFlXvBV6lMk

Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Fabrication decisions, help?

My Vantage has front tire air deflectors under the body, air is directed outboard. It has no rear tire deflectors but I can easily add them to a flat undertray/diffuser I am building. Should I add them and which way should they deflect the air, outboard, like the front, or inboard towards the diffuser, center mounted muffler and transaxle oil cooler?

BTW car has a chin splitter and will have similarly designed side splitters soon. Professor Wingman can you give me direction?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by flinder
My Vantage has front tire air deflectors under the body, air is directed outboard. It has no rear tire deflectors but I can easily add them to a flat undertray/diffuser I am building. Should I add them and which way should they deflect the air, outboard, like the front, or inboard towards the diffuser, center mounted muffler and transaxle oil cooler?

BTW car has a chin splitter and will have similarly designed side splitters soon. Professor Wingman can you give me direction?
Haha, you can call me Greg. The front air deflectors are more important than the rear. The main concern with adding the rear ones is ride height / ground clearance. You don't want them to get damaged / break off / change your downforce during a track session.

Of secondary concern - to your question - is how they'll act with the rear diffuser. You would want to angle them out from the centerline. Doing so will expand the air (drop pressure) just like the diffuser you're building. In fact, the best way to think of it is as side walls of the rear diffuser. Look at the diffuser on the F430. It expands up, and out (width). Keep in mind, if you make the angle too aggressive, you'll stall on the back side of your air deflectors, which may stall your diffuser as well.

The other option is you can see if you can source some of the deformable rubber pieces that Porsche uses on some of their cars. They would be less of a diffuser, and more of a teardrop shape in front of your tires.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Former Vendor
We're heading back to the wind tunnel for round two of testing - the Dynamic Splitter.

The 458 has a pair of deformable front winglets that alter the airflow at high speeds. Our design runs the same principals, but is computer controlled and changes as a function of speed and G forces (braking, cornering, etc). We'll be back at Windshear tuning it this friday.

The zoomed in pictures show the inlet and exhaust of the Dynamic Splitter. When the flaps are closed, air is diverted over the top and sides of the car. Opening the valves direct airflow under the car, taking advantage of the venturi and diffuser designed by Ferrari.

Here are some pictures of the car getting loaded into the transporter. Huge thanks to Jim, Felix, and all the guys at Classic Coach for prepping the car.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
no kidding. Very cool project. I have to admit I am pretty callous when I see broadly distributed "aero" bits in the tuner community. As you I'm sure know, most of it is extremely mild and designed by someone who is mimicing some other design and usually gets the crucial details way wrong. Sorry if I came off as a doubting Thomas.

I asked about larger air foils as I drive for a couple time attack teams that have solid CFD designed aero packages, but all of the design is fixed. We are having a new wing made that has a cord that resembles something off of a hill climb car, and drag gets pretty crazy at the top end. I wasn't sure what load your set up could handle. I believe we are continuing with our fixed mount, but wondered if this was a possibility.

Are the motors and assembly on the RMR car your standard units or upgraded because of the bigger air foil?

Best,
Matt

Last edited by turbomx5; 01-05-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor
Matt,

We're on the same page. Most of the go fast aero parts are visually similar to something that works. . . but that doesn't cut it in aero. This is the case in most sports - the perception of performance is what attracts customers, not data driven design. It makes sense. How is a non-aero guy supposed to differentiate a good airfoil from a bad one?

For example, most of the after-market diffusers you see are stalled. Why? Customers want to buy an aggressive looking design. So, tuners make really aggressive diffuser angles. And, they're stalled. LOL. I could go on. . . .

What team do you drive for?

In the case of Rhys's car, we used our rear element, and his front element (which has now been upgraded to his Dad's front element). The actuator was enhanced to increase the range of travel. If you want a dual element active wing, it should be made like Rhys's. The rear element should be our standard, developed element. The front can (should) be custom depending on budget.

BTW, you should put the car in a tunnel as well. CFD is a great step, but it's not the end product. For example, if you give the same problem to the top 5 CFD firms, they will come up with numbers that vary 15-25%. NASA does this every few years. That's why the F430 is in the windshear tunnel. It's dead nuts accurate.

Greg

no kidding. Very cool project. I have to admit I am pretty callous when I see broadly distributed "aero" bits in the tuner community. As you I'm sure know, most of it is extremely mild and designed by someone who is mimicing some other design and usually gets the crucial details way wrong. Sorry if I came off as a doubting Thomas.

I asked about larger air foils as I drive for a couple time attack teams that have solid CFD designed aero packages, but all of the design is fixed. We are having a new wing made that has a cord that resembles something off of a hill climb car, and drag gets pretty crazy at the top end. I wasn't sure what load your set up could handle. I believe we are continuing with our fixed mount, but wondered if this was a possibility.

Are the motors and assembly on the RMR car your standard units or upgraded because of the bigger air foil?

Best,
Matt

Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I work with FX Motorsports on their NSX and Eclipse. I'm shooting you a pm with my contact info and asking for yours.

I agree on the use of a real wind tunnel. its on the roadmap, but cost is an issue. We have big plans this year, so we'll see what happens...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F430 Aero Development