Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Ferrari California? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
Ferrari California? Worth it?

Hey Guys,

I am on the hunt for my next fun car. I have been looking through this forum and dont see many people talking about the Ferrari California.

Is this car worth it?

Other Cars I am considering (more price base comparo not car vs car comparo)

Audi R8 V10
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Bentley Continental GT Super Sport (dealer has 2 leftovers at huge discount)
Porsche 911 Turbo S

I am looking at new or very slightly used versions of all of these cars.

I am looking for a car that is a mostly daily driver (I have my Cayenne for Hauling) and is somewhat comfortable.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
We have had the California, R8 V10, Bentley SS and now a new 997.2 Turbo Cab.

I can make you a pros and cons list of my takes on these cars.

California:
Pro: You can daily that car no question about it. It has all the creature comforts you would ever want. Plus with the top down whats not to love. It drive great, is not loud and annoying. Great highway cruiser. But its ugly without the proper wheels and lowered. The car is missing some testosterone.
Cons: Its a Ferrari, dont really want to put 40k on one would you?

Audi R8 V10:
Pro: Very comfortable to daily drive, nice power delivery. Of course all the creature comforts in it as well. Reliable. You can put miles on it and know its gonna make it.
Cons: You will cause peopls neck to hurt from all the staring. Small trunk, V10 drinks gas.

Bentley SS:
Pro: POWER! Trunk space. Comfort. Smooth air suspension. Amazing Interior (although Dated)
Cons: Big, and heavy. 8 MPG! Dated interior. Face lift is out, making your new SS look old just by driving off the lot.

Aston Martin Vantage V12: Cant give opinion on that one.

Porsche 997TT S:
Pros: This is the car I said I would and could always Daily Drive. The 997 to me is the best of the bunch. Its roomy, fast, handles great, comfortable. Its a nice car without being overly flashy. Have taken the Turbo on 4+ hr road trips and its awesome. My wife loves it too. The whole pkg just works, its a drivers car. This would get my vote, no question about it.
Cons: New 991 coming out.

Hope this helps a bit. Of course these are all based on my opinion and seat time in them.

Good luck!

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM
WOW Thanks Wheels,

This is probably the best rundown I have gotten. Its funny I feel the same issue with the Cali, It checked a bunch of boxes and for some reason just didnt seem right to me. I also noticed very little mention of the Cali in these forums, which leads me to believe that most people must not really consider this car from an enthusiast standpoint.

As Far as the R8, Its funny but I do guess of all the cars I am looking at this one is the most exotic looking and does stand out. Which has been a small con on the pros vs cons list. At the same time, the looks really have me hooked! I am still trying to find one to drive to see if anything from the drive pushes me over the edge.

With the SS, my bigger concern is how most people when they first look at it think its a chrysler...lol I have always thought bentley looks a bit dated, however it does have that great muscle car look. The interior technology has me a bit off put in the 10 and 11 as I am spoiled by having the latest porsche pcm system.

For the Turbo S, What seats does the porsche you drove have in them? I want to make sure I get the most comfortable seats I can get in that car. Also I agree that the 991 has me perplexed. I love the new look inside and out, But I want a car with a little more oomph than a 991 S.

Thanks so much for the input, Like I said this has been the most informative response I have gotten!

Originally Posted by WHEELSJ
We have had the California, R8 V10, Bentley SS and now a new 997.2 Turbo Cab.

I can make you a pros and cons list of my takes on these cars.

California:
Pro: You can daily that car no question about it. It has all the creature comforts you would ever want. Plus with the top down whats not to love. It drive great, is not loud and annoying. Great highway cruiser. But its ugly without the proper wheels and lowered. The car is missing some testosterone.
Cons: Its a Ferrari, dont really want to put 40k on one would you?

Audi R8 V10:
Pro: Very comfortable to daily drive, nice power delivery. Of course all the creature comforts in it as well. Reliable. You can put miles on it and know its gonna make it.
Cons: You will cause peopls neck to hurt from all the staring. Small trunk, V10 drinks gas.

Bentley SS:
Pro: POWER! Trunk space. Comfort. Smooth air suspension. Amazing Interior (although Dated)
Cons: Big, and heavy. 8 MPG! Dated interior. Face lift is out, making your new SS look old just by driving off the lot.

Aston Martin Vantage V12: Cant give opinion on that one.

Porsche 997TT S:
Pros: This is the car I said I would and could always Daily Drive. The 997 to me is the best of the bunch. Its roomy, fast, handles great, comfortable. Its a nice car without being overly flashy. Have taken the Turbo on 4+ hr road trips and its awesome. My wife loves it too. The whole pkg just works, its a drivers car. This would get my vote, no question about it.
Cons: New 991 coming out.

Hope this helps a bit. Of course these are all based on my opinion and seat time in them.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 11CayenneS
WOW Thanks Wheels,

This is probably the best rundown I have gotten. Its funny I feel the same issue with the Cali, It checked a bunch of boxes and for some reason just didnt seem right to me. I also noticed very little mention of the Cali in these forums, which leads me to believe that most people must not really consider this car from an enthusiast standpoint.

As Far as the R8, Its funny but I do guess of all the cars I am looking at this one is the most exotic looking and does stand out. Which has been a small con on the pros vs cons list. At the same time, the looks really have me hooked! I am still trying to find one to drive to see if anything from the drive pushes me over the edge.

With the SS, my bigger concern is how most people when they first look at it think its a chrysler...lol I have always thought bentley looks a bit dated, however it does have that great muscle car look. The interior technology has me a bit off put in the 10 and 11 as I am spoiled by having the latest porsche pcm system.

For the Turbo S, What seats does the porsche you drove have in them? I want to make sure I get the most comfortable seats I can get in that car. Also I agree that the 991 has me perplexed. I love the new look inside and out, But I want a car with a little more oomph than a 991 S.

Thanks so much for the input, Like I said this has been the most informative response I have gotten!

No problem!
The Cali has Huuuuge potential. I really like the car alot. It would be my #2 choice of the ones mentioned. But you it needs "*****" sorry for the verbage, but that it the best way I could describe it. We put a Tubi Exhaust on it and lowered it with some wheels and what a transformation. Now it looks the part. See pics ManCali a little imagination is all it takes.

As for the R8 having done a TT V8 R8 and then a pretty much stock R8V10
I like the car alot. Both were phenomenal. The V10 was going to get TT'd as well but got sold. Its a very comfortable daily EXOTIC! the look is amazing still to this day, that car is just flat out cool to look at. More so than a Gallardo or LP560. In my opinion of course.

here are some pics:
Heffner/WB TT R8

Wb R8 V10 on HRE's

The Bentley is an amazing car, power wise and all that. But yes every rapper has had a Bentley on 24's and its just played out, with the 300C replica kits etc. Its just lame already.
Unless you do what we did lol
Super Sport Bentley on HRE's I know this may not be for everyone, but we wanted to do something a bit different on it. We sold it shortly after we did the wheels as someone fell in love and bought it.

As for the PCar, It has the Sport/Air Seats. They are super comfortable with just enough Bolster to hold you but not to much that they are a pain to get in and out of and are stiff, ie: GT3 seats and GT3RS seats. As for the 991 we still have over a year before the 991 Turbo comes out. So for now the 997.2 will do. The new 991 will find its way into the WB stable at some point.
But for now, the 700 HP 997.2 will do.

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 AM
That Cali is awesome!!! Has he had any clearance issues with it slammed like that? I do have to say the Bentley looks awesome as well! I will be giving you a call when I pick whatever to discuss some mods! I am in Orlando so a nice road trip to you would be fun anyways!

Originally Posted by WHEELSJ
No problem!
The Cali has Huuuuge potential. I really like the car alot. It would be my #2 choice of the ones mentioned. But you it needs "*****" sorry for the verbage, but that it the best way I could describe it. We put a Tubi Exhaust on it and lowered it with some wheels and what a transformation. Now it looks the part. See pics ManCali a little imagination is all it takes.

As for the R8 having done a TT V8 R8 and then a pretty much stock R8V10
I like the car alot. Both were phenomenal. The V10 was going to get TT'd as well but got sold. Its a very comfortable daily EXOTIC! the look is amazing still to this day, that car is just flat out cool to look at. More so than a Gallardo or LP560. In my opinion of course.

here are some pics:
Heffner/WB TT R8

Wb R8 V10 on HRE's

The Bentley is an amazing car, power wise and all that. But yes every rapper has had a Bentley on 24's and its just played out, with the 300C replica kits etc. Its just lame already.
Unless you do what we did lol
Super Sport Bentley on HRE's I know this may not be for everyone, but we wanted to do something a bit different on it. We sold it shortly after we did the wheels as someone fell in love and bought it.

As for the PCar, It has the Sport/Air Seats. They are super comfortable with just enough Bolster to hold you but not to much that they are a pain to get in and out of and are stiff, ie: GT3 seats and GT3RS seats. As for the 991 we still have over a year before the 991 Turbo comes out. So for now the 997.2 will do. The new 991 will find its way into the WB stable at some point.
But for now, the 700 HP 997.2 will do.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by 11CayenneS
That Cali is awesome!!! Has he had any clearance issues with it slammed like that? I do have to say the Bentley looks awesome as well! I will be giving you a call when I pick whatever to discuss some mods! I am in Orlando so a nice road trip to you would be fun anyways!
The Cali is awesome, no issues with rubbing or scraping. Its an easy driver. i mean I would'nt go over a speed bump in it at 10 mph like we do in our SUV's.
I would be glad to help you out. Let me know which way you go. I encourage you to drive all the cars, but I know you will probably sign on a Turbo Porsche.

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103

Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
@Wheelsj

The new 991 coming out may not be a "Con" after all. It is getting mixed reviews appearance wise.

I love Ferraris but given the OP's list I would go 997TT every time.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
If you weren't looking for a DD you should get yourself a Scuderia and be done with it !! Really gets your heart racing and your adrenaline pumping.

All the others pale by comparison.

Had a .2 Turbo.....nice car but very boring.

Drove most of the others and they did nothing for me on the excitement scale.

All great cars though, so good luck with whichever you choose.

Last edited by bosco42; 09-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.