Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

My dream project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
RDKJ is on a distinguished road
My dream project

Earlier this year I acquired my neighbors house and then proceeded to raze it with sole intent to build my dream entertainment/garage project. I am preparing the plans for the 8000 sq ft complex to my property. In this project, I want to include the following:

1 bedroom guest quarters/in-law suite, with walk-in garage
2 oversized garage bays, large enough to accomodate car lifts
1 single garage bay for tools/workshop
1 indoor bay for car wash
1/2 court indoor basketball
1 lane of bowling
1 baseball/softball indoor batting cage

What have I missed?

Would would you include in the indoor car wash bay? I definitely want floor drains, hot water, heat/cooling, high pressure wand.

I have some work to do before I can start construction. But hopefully, the engineering and zoning work will be complete by the end of the summer. I have already engaged the services of a local architect to start on a very rough draft of my plans.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Cactushead has a spectacular aura aboutCactushead has a spectacular aura about
Subscribed and I think you have it all covered!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
eshaun will become famous soon enougheshaun will become famous soon enough
Wow, thats fantastic...please keep us posted with lots of pics!

Originally Posted by RDKJ
Earlier this year I acquired my neighbors house and then proceeded to raze it with sole intent to build my dream entertainment/garage project...

What have I missed?
depends on your hobbies, interests...off the top of my head
hometheater
recording studio
club w/stripper pole
glass ceiling/walls so you can see the cars from the office or gameroom
distributed a/v system automating and connecting everything

Old 01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
master_jcp will become famous soon enoughmaster_jcp will become famous soon enough
That is anice project. Hope to see some pics one day. Good luck. What is with a swiming pool?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Fastback is on a distinguished road
This sounds soooo familiar. I'm just waiting for the ****hole next door to come up for sale so I can knock it down and build more garages.

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. You want TV in your wash bay. It's not something that you'd readily think of, but trust me. When you're washing your car in 70 degree comfort and not missing a minute of Monday Night Football...it's the greatest thing ever.

When you do your floor drains, have your contractor get you the long trough type. I used 4" round drains and sometimes they don't seem fast enough. Also, be sure to put some sand in your epoxy floor so you don't do a Dorothy Hamill impression when the floor is wet.

Last edited by Fastback; 01-22-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
First off - Sweet project! Def sounds like a dream come true.

For the Wash:

Maybe a vacume that goes right into the wall that empties into a trash bin/waste bucket area? Car wash i worked at during college had that - it was pretty cool. Also, maybe a place for a washer/dryer? I know that might be excessive, but with all those dirty/wet towels you might want it?

Rest of the Building:

Add another room for out-of-town 6 speeders to crash in??? LOL...jk, sounds like you thought of it all!

Keep us posted on the project & congrats.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Cedric will become famous soon enough
Would would you include in the indoor car wash bay? I definitely want floor drains, hot water, heat/cooling, high pressure wand.
Nope, no car over $30K should be machine washed.
Hand wash always!

Old 01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Cedric
Nope, no car over $30K should be machine washed.
Hand wash always!
Agreed, that is why I am only going to put in a high pressure wand - like you see in self service bays at a car wash.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !
Wow! Good call on the bowling alley! I've been an avid bowler for more than 10 years now, and I'll always dream of having a bowling lane in my house! Very cool project! I can't wait to see some pics.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned
crazy1323 can only hope to improve
Here is what you will need.

I would paint the walls with a latex paint in the wash bay so that water will not hurt it.

Make you you do a NON-SLIP coating on the floor or else all that soap and water on the floor will be dangerous.

Have a wall separating all of the supplies, washer and dryer, ect fro the wash area. This will prevent you from contaminating supplies with dirty water. Also, I would install a high power blower to dry the car.

Lastly, light, LOTS OF LIGHT. Go to a jewlery store and look at the lighting setup. You will want every point on the car hit from multiple lights. You will thank me later. I promise.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
masaston is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RDKJ
Earlier this year I acquired my neighbors house and then proceeded to raze it with sole intent to build my dream entertainment/garage project. I am preparing the plans for the 8000 sq. Ft complex to my property. In this project, I want to include the following:

1 bedroom guest quarters/in-law suite, with walk-in garage
2 oversized garage bays, large enough to accommodate car lifts
1 single garage bay for tools/workshop
1 indoor bay for car wash
1/2 court indoor basketball
1 lane of bowling
1 baseball/softball indoor batting cage

What have I missed?

I have some work to do before I can start construction. But hopefully, the engineering and zoning work will be complete by the end of the summer. I have already engaged the services of a local architect to start on a very rough draft of my plans.
that all sounds great .i made a two story garage with two lifts . i think my son has some pictures in the bmw forum under e92man. this works well and i did a loft above in the rear as a viewing ,entertainment area . i am on the same page with trying to buy the neighbors . right now we have garage space for 7 cars and own 8 so my daily driver is outside. when they hooked up the vacuum i had outlets run on several walls as well as one outside in the drive . also i found it good to separate the theatre room/game room stereo and satellite system which can access from loft area to be separate from the loft system . actually i did this after the fact because the kids were watching movies in the game area while i watched speed vision in the loft . also i put a flat screen in the downstairs garage area for when i am tinkering with the cars . i have had many garaged now with commercial grade carpet on the floor . it works well as long as you use drip pans and is very comfortable on your feet . hope this helps .i wish i had room for the other amenities you are anticipating .

Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions - keep them coming.

I will not have a theatre or arcade room in the addition for the kids. They already have that in the last addition. Though, I may include an oversized room for ping pong and/or air hockey.

I have a friend who put an ice cream parlor in a similar detached complex. That I do NOT need, I would be 500 lbs.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Sounds like a awesome project! Can't wait to see your work in progress.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
liftingismylife is on a distinguished road
You have a big project at hand! Should be exciting for you to see the process unfold!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 PM
ActionJaxon is on a distinguished road
Sounda like a sick project....make sure you make a thread when its done!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My dream project