Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Epoxy vs, Garage floor tiles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 AM
rs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura about
Epoxy vs, Garage floor tiles

What are your thoughts for a brand new garage floor ? Epoxy vs. garage floor tiles, also which floor tile is best ?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
If I could do it again, I would DEFINITELY go epoxy. I installed the black & white tiles from Costco. Very simple install, looks nice, has a slight click clack when you walk on it.., but cleaning them in my opinion is a pain in the ***. I would go epoxy.. bit more expensive but I think it is just a classier and easier product to care for than the tiles.

I'm even thinking of pulling mine up and going epoxy now.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 AM
rs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura about
Are you concerned about cracks,scratches and flaking ?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Anyone hear of highly polishing a concrete floor, similar to a mall or office complex floor ? Supposedly the concrete pores are so small, nothing can penetrate it. Your thoughts please.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rs200evo
Anyone hear of highly polishing a concrete floor, similar to a mall or office complex floor ? Supposedly the concrete pores are so small, nothing can penetrate it. Your thoughts please.
There is a place here in KC that does that, and the floors are amazing. You can also add dye to tint the floor. Not sure what it costs though. My fear would be how slick it might be if the floor were wet.

If you epoxy, get the professional grade stuff. Devoe Devran Epoxy held up on the high volume shop floor just fine (impervious to anything with the exception of letting a puddle of brake clean sit on it overnight), and is about $100 a gallon (1 gallon epoxy, 1 gallon converter). 2 gallons of each should do most basic 2 car garages. We abused the heck out of that floor in an automotive environment. After 3 years of high volume use, I re-epoxied it so it would bring back the clean look, lol.

I used the home depot rustoleum stuff on my garage floor at home (I had a few sample cases sitting there, so figured I would save some money), looks good, but my wife's jeep has already peeled the epoxy up where the tires sit. It was properly prepped etc. I will be redoing it this summer with the stuff we used at the shop instead.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
mustangrodtp is on a distinguished road
If you bring your car into the garage with wet tires I would definately use Epoxy. Even if just from washing the car, the floor tiles get nasty.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
dobx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mustangrodtp
If you bring your car into the garage with wet tires I would definately use Epoxy. Even if just from washing the car, the floor tiles get nasty.
I installed the floor tiles. They are a pain to keep clean. I got fed up and removed them.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM
seattle_s4 will become famous soon enoughseattle_s4 will become famous soon enough
Epoxy has been great on my garage floor. Don't bother with the crap you get at home depot or lowes...it peels up under hot tires in no time, even with the right prep.

I used the paint sold by Griots Garage and it has held up great.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
not matter how good the floor tiles are, there will always be those thin lines between them where dirt and moisture can penetrate. Ditto for the Griots Garage product.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
We've had both epoxy and tiles done. Our choice would be epoxy over tiles as it is much easier to clean, does not lift or crack (on hot days, the tiles would expand / contract and end up popping up when a car drives over them), and does not leave mildew underneath as tiles do (we've had this happen).

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Madspeed is on a distinguished road
So I'm guessing Epoxy is the way to go with my new garage.....how long do I have to wait (if at all) for my concrete to "cure" before I can Epoxy? ....sorry dont mean to thread jack. But I have been trying to decide if I should go with tile or epoxy myself.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned
crazy1323 can only hope to improve
Some expoxies take 24 hours before you can walk on them and 7 days before you can park on them. We had a company do our four car garage and this was the case.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
Check out Ceramic

I also weighed the idea of epoxy versus tile and agree with all of the comments above. However when I priced the high quality industrial epoxy floors on the market the cost was high, and the potential for scratching is still there. I looked around and found that I could do ceramic tile, grouted and sealed for less than the epoxy with I believe better results. The garage is 3,000 sq ft and a picture is below. Also, if you ever break or ruin one just replace it! The floor has been down five years and this is a recent picture.

http://photobucket.com/userinfo/rese...f2846dd4a1c7cf

Last edited by Rec Racing; 03-02-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Repaired the link
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM
pjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these parts
^^cant see pic

Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
xsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud of
i used epoxy on mine, works well, not slick resists stains for the most part, but i will need to re coat it this summer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Epoxy vs, Garage floor tiles