Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Project Garage Condo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 PM
ClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura aboutClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura about
I just saw some pics of some finished units. I then googled the complex. Wow. What a cool place. I would love to come to an event there. Maybe a 6speed/"other site" gathering?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
I just saw some pics of some finished units. I then googled the complex. Wow. What a cool place. I would love to come to an event there. Maybe a 6speed/"other site" gathering?
Yes, there are some pretty impressive builds going on here.

Cars & Coffee event is first Saturday of every month - April through Nov (weather permitting).

They rent out the clubhouse to owners for practically nothing.. room for a lot of folks. I'd be up for that

Last edited by HIRISC; 10-31-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Out surveying the progress and watched my neighbors gigantic lam beam being installed.

There are a couple of contractors working on site - my contractor used a steel I-Beam - 12" high x 6' wide.

The other contractor doesn't work in steel and their solution is a 3' high x 9" wide lam beam.

I guess it will hold plenty of weight, but it sure is a chunky thing:

Name:  GiantLam.jpg
Views: 4836
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  GiantLam2.jpg
Views: 4833
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  GiantLam3.jpg
Views: 4863
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  GiantLam4.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  116.2 KB

Last edited by HIRISC; 11-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Kneewall almost up - bathroom framed, joist hangers installed.. about time for some electrical/plumbing.

Name:  MotorplexWeek2-80019.jpg
Views: 5204
Size:  2.68 MB

Name:  MotorplexWeek2-8006.jpg
Views: 5095
Size:  2.40 MB

Name:  MotorplexWeek2-8008.jpg
Views: 5079
Size:  2.76 MB

Name:  MotorplexWeek2-800.jpg
Views: 5080
Size:  2.89 MB

Name:  MotorplexWeek2-80010.jpg
Views: 5114
Size:  2.79 MB

Name:  MotorplexWeek2-8002.jpg
Views: 5036
Size:  1.76 MB

Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
It's going to be an awesome "Man Cave". When is the big grand opening bash?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
sorry - dup post - not sure what happened

Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
pak
pak is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome thread bro. Thanks for posting up the pics. Can't wait to see the finished product. How many cars do you think you can store comfortably in there?

pak

Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
this is a brilliant idea- I wish I had one- almost like going on vacation! any time you want with all your cool stuff at your fingertips!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
It's going to be an awesome "Man Cave". When is the big grand opening bash?
I'm hoping to be 'guest' ready (at least the upstairs) by the end of the year. Another week & 1/2 for electrical, 1 week after that for plumbing, 2 weeks for sheetrock/paint, 1 week for the concrete grind/coat, 1 week for trim/flooring upstairs, 1 week for cabinet install - well you get the idea.

I'll be there on Sat. I'll give you a tour, plus I want to see the new beater (J/K)

Originally Posted by pak
Awesome thread bro. Thanks for posting up the pics. Can't wait to see the finished product. How many cars do you think you can store comfortably in there?
pak
More than I own - by a comfortable margin. Seriously, the current plan is for 2 four post lifts. With those, very comfortably 6 cars on the 'open' side of the garage. See my first pic on post #1 - shows the two lifts with car sized spaces on them.

Under the mezzanine is going to be 'work area' and will be used for my FFR Cobra build which I hope to get moving on right after the turn of the year. It's 30x16 under the mezzanine, so that should be plenty of room for the Cobra chassis, body/parts.

I'm sure right after this is built, I'm going to be wishing I would have just sprung for the full 80x40 space

Originally Posted by smistry007
this is a brilliant idea- I wish I had one- almost like going on vacation! any time you want with all your cool stuff at your fingertips!
Thanks very much.. My wife called it 'a cabin substitute', but for me it's a way to hang out with like minded friends, finally start my car build project and hedge my space bet if we trade houses at some point in the future.

Last edited by HIRISC; 11-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
[quote=HIRISC;2606579]I'm hoping to be 'guest' ready (at least the upstairs) by the end of the year. Another week & 1/2 for electrical, 1 week after that for plumbing, 2 weeks for sheetrock/paint, 1 week for the concrete grind/coat, 1 week for trim/flooring upstairs, 1 week for cabinet install - well you get the idea.

I'll be there on Sat. I'll give you a tour, plus I want to see the new beater (J/K)

I'll take you up on the tour but the new beater will not be here yet. We were unable to get logistics coordinated between me and the seller.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 AM
starbai is on a distinguished road
damn why dont they have these in fort lauderdale? would definitly be my solution to finally getting a condo out over by the water, while still having a place to play/work on my cars

Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by starbai
damn why dont they have these in fort lauderdale? would definitly be my solution to finally getting a condo out over by the water, while still having a place to play/work on my cars
Sounds like a good business opportunity. Garage condo real estate could be a relative bargain PSF in high buck areas like Dade/Broward County.

Maybe 'Motorplex Miami'! Huh, I've been looking for an investment opportunity

Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
I'll take you up on the tour but the new beater will not be here yet. We were unable to get logistics coordinated between me and the seller.
That's too bad!

Happy to give you a tour.. I'll be there 7:30-10 or so (maybe longer)

Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
starbai is on a distinguished road
so do people live in these things? like they're mini apartments with a huge garage?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by starbai
so do people live in these things? like they're mini apartments with a huge garage?
No - they are zoned as commercial. In spite of some guys putting in tiled showers, maple kitchen cabinets, etc., and the very nice exterior, they are still fairly 'garage-like'.

I'm sure that some guys working late on projects (or who drank too much while playing Monopoly ) stay over night.

Shhhh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Garage Condo