Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Automotive tools to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:12 PM
joannebrooks is on a distinguished road
Automotive tools to buy?

I should help with tools I'm just starting to get into cars and want to learn about them. I need some help with some tools to buy I have a car at my house to work on. Please don't give me the answer I shouldn't be working on cars if I don't know what to do the car does not even matter and hasn't been touched in 3 years and I have agreement to do whatever I'm just looking for some advice on tools to buy. Also what type of tools do you use to get tight bolts off of things such as the head?

Old 04-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
You can check out Craftsman from Sears. They have quite a few 'starter' packages as well as complete sets of tools. Go online and see what they have. In my opinion, you would need at the minimum: 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive ratchets and sockets (metric and standard), and some nice combination wrenches in metric and standard. As well as some basics like pliers, screwdrivers, etc.

As far as the head bolts, a 1/2 breaker bar would help you out or a pneumatic/electric impact gun.

Hope this helps and have fun learning and working on your car!

Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
look for a mechanics set that has a lifetime warrenty. also when it comes to toolboxes (since you need a place to store your tools) look for ball bearing slides heavy gauge metal and multiple size drawers.

realize this. quality tools arent cheap and they will last you a lifetime. theres no need to full retard snap-on tools but kmart wont last. look for craftsman, lowes, home depot starter sets with a lifetime warrenty. place emphasis on more metric than sae si\nce most everything leans that way now . also torx bits and allen bits .

things like head bolts will need at least a 1/2 " breaker bar and possibly a piece of pipe for a cheater bar. when removing the head sbe aware of the sequence for removal. it isnt just unbolt and go you have a specific way to remove them and not warp the head

Old 04-24-2016, 10:36 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Costco has a decent tool set. It is only around $70.

You can add more special tools later. Home Depot and pep boy are good sources.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Phrost is on a distinguished road
At home I like Craftsman - they don't usually break under light/home use and are priced well.

I'd suggest getting one of the 200+ piece "mechanics sets" since I really have used everything in them. But things I use most:

Multiple screwdrivers (phillips/standard). Tiny and huge. Sometimes I leave one with a project and need the same for another, so don't feel bad buying multiples

Torx socket set, and torx screwdrivers. Torx screws are all over euro interiors, engine bays, you name it...

1/2" drive racket/sockets, 15"+ breaker bar, EXTENSIONS. I really only use 1/4" or 3/8" drive in a tight spot, easier just to use 1/2" for everything if there's the room. Can't stress extensions enough. Universal/flex joint attachment in 1/2" drive...

I don't really use ratcheting wrenches much - I feel they're only worth the money if you do repetitive tasks, or if you happen to be short on room in an engine bay. I own a set but usually just grab an old-school combination wrench... Buy an adjustable wrench as a backup (or sometimes you need 2 wrenches in the same size)

Torque wrench. 1/2" drive for wheels and big stuff you'd probably be doing. If you get an older vehicle and start doing oil pans, valve covers, etc then a smaller one is handy. I change my own wheels on my VW/Audi's so every time every lug bolt gets torqued to 82ft/lbs... I've seen wheels fall off and lug bolts/nuts fall off before!

Hammers - blah bah, I use my rubber dead-blow hammer a lot. Don't even use a rubber mallet for anything, just grab my rubber dead-blow. Smacking off rotors, fitting exhausts... buy a dead-blow

I have an "impact screwdriver" that I love but don't need a lot... Look it up, basically it's a hunk of metal that you smack with a hammer, and with every hit it turns your stuck screw/bolt slightly. Great for rotor set screws or anything seized (if you have the space)

Buy a nice low-profile hydraulic jack. I just use a meh Craftsman jack I got for ~$120 about 12 years ago but it still works perfect. 2 pairs of jack stands. Use jack stands please.

Other than those basics, I've mainly acquired half my tools after starting a project and needing a "specialty tool" or something I didn't already have. You'll always run into things like a 1 1/2" nut, 25mm allen bolts, hole saws when I don't have a large enough drill bit... Happens to us all

I have a big air compressor but I don't use it much. More for filling tires, cleaning/drying with the air nozzle for me... I have an impact for it, but when I do my wheels with a breaker bar and torque wrench. Up to you if you want to like torque sticks and all that jazz

Toolboxes - at this day and age they're all great. All have decent casters, ball-bearing drawers, cylindrical locks... You can't go wrong with any box really. I have a Craftsman combo that I'm about to grow out of but it has worked great for 15 years. I drool over this thing every time I go to HD and plan to buy this lol
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...8520/206126307

You'll have to decide what types of projects you want to do on your own and go from there. But once you start dropping hardware and needing crap like flex clawfingers and flex magnets, well... you'll buy things as you figure out you need them haha

Old 09-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
as someone who owns race cars and motorcycles, I spend a lot of time working on them. I can say the is an important quality difference between
(harbor freight)----(craftsman)----(snap on)
you will need a good set of wrenches and sockets.. do you need to buy the best right away? no, but keep in mind you can find quality used tools on sites like ebay.

you will need a torque wrench, dont buy cheap, and dont buy used, this is not something you want to play around with, get a snap on torque wrench from the start.

Electric impact, buy a good one with a lot of torque