Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

help decide on garage lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 PM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
help decide on garage lights

so i need to get 7 fluorescent fixtures for my garage. the electrician suggested to simply rip out all existing regular recessed lights and replace them with fluorescent ones. i have narrowed my choice down to these two:

RCS232RC:
http://www.elitefixtures.com/product...loud/RCS232RC/

or RPW340E8:
http://www.elitefixtures.com/product...ok/RPW340E8--/

they are made by american fluorescent.

also open to other suggestions. they need to be 4ft x 2 tube and mounted flush against the ceiling. oh.. and gotta look good

Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 PM
HdS
HdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud of
I prefer the first in terms of looks...

Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
ChromeHearts is on a distinguished road
first looks better, the oval casing looks strange to me

Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
I have 7 fluorescent fixturesi n my garage that each hold 2 4' bulbs. I got them over at home depot and they are diamond plate steel which is very garage-ish. Only cost $30ea plus bulbs.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Imolas54 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks like something i would see in the doctor's office and you'll get a nice collection of bugs in it soon enough....

Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 PM
jkb
Originally Posted by Imolas54
looks like something i would see in the doctor's office and you'll get a nice collection of bugs in it soon enough....
well, bugs can always be cleaned out. as for looks... well... got other suggestions?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
FSU-997TT is on a distinguished road
Post a picture of your garage and I'll post some ideas.....
I'm an electrical consulting engineer, I pick lighting fixtures out all day long, among other things.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
dbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond repute
For you folks with multiple fluorescent fixtures, do you have any other lighting? Specifically, separately switched minimal lighting to flip on for 30 seconds while you throw something in the trash and don't need better than daylight?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned
carguygarage is on a distinguished road
We carry a bunch of garage lighting -- let me know if I can help

Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 PM
jkb
Originally Posted by carguygarage
We carry a bunch of garage lighting -- let me know if I can help
oh nice. didnt see them on your site before. do you have more info on this one: http://www.carguygarage.com/482liclflgal.html

would it take 6500K bulbs? do you have more high-res photos? how strongly does the cover get mounted? want to make sure during an earthquake they wont fall down and hit a car.

thanks..

Old 04-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned
would it take 6500K bulbs?
Yes

do you have more high-res photos?
No but I can get if you need them

how strongly does the cover get mounted? want to make sure during an earthquake they wont fall down and hit a car.
All our fluorescent fixtures are manufactured very well and are made to withstand any shaking or vibration. It shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by carguygarage; 04-06-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 AM
jkb
do you have more high-res photos?
No but I can get if you need them
if its not too much trouble. those small pics on the site make it hard to see the details.

how strongly does the cover get mounted? want to make sure during an earthquake they wont fall down and hit a car.
All our fluorescent fixtures are manufactured very well and are made to withstand any shaking or vibration. It shouldn't be a problem.
cool.. i was also thinking i can put a velcro tie-wrap around it to give me a piece of mind.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned
Give me a few days, and I should have some more pictures for you.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
jkb
Give me a few days, and I should have some more pictures for you.
thank you so much. if you can't post here for some reason, feel free to email me: jan.koum at gmail.com

Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
I've tried several different lights in my shops and can tell you I made the mistakes and had to change out 20 sets when picking the lighting for my smaller shop because I didn't buy the right ones. How warm is your shop/garage temp as that is a big factor as well... If it is cold like here in Seattle you want the high output 220V. If you go with the 6500K bulbs, you will have light that is so bright it is unbelievable, but the optimal temperature rating is as important as the lumens rating! If you get the ones with deflectors, they work best. My shop is so bright you almost need sunglasses and this is with 220V 6500K bulbs.

I was able to find mine at Home Depot for about $85 per fixture and the bulbs are about $10/each. This was for T12's though and your are going to be using T8's with the 4' fixtures.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dvh; 04-12-2007 at 02:55 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help decide on garage lights