GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

FVD Brombacher – GT3 Rangers quest for an extremely potent exhaust & software package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
FVD Brombacher – GT3 Rangers quest for an extremely potent exhaust & software package

Background:

As many of you know GT3 Ranger chose to let us tune his 2008 GT3 RS. He came in to see us personally a few months back and gave us 4 goals:
  • Weight - The lightest headers, cats and center section combination possible.
  • Sound - The best GT3 sound with RSR style tips
  • Power - The most available with a serious focus on useable mid range torque.
I personally was thrilled with the task at hand. We have been developing software in house in Germany since 1983, so programming was needless to say covered. In January 2009 we became the exclusive U.S. distributor for M&M Exhaust GmbH in Germany. M&M’s foundation is in racing and they manufacture some of the most powerful systems in the industry. Our joint efforts in the past year have been truly rewarding and have produced serious results. With that in mind I was extremely confident that we could deliver on every point.

Weight:
On a GT3 weight reduction / distribution is vital, especially behind the rear axle. Handling is improved, you can achieve higher lateral acceleration and reduce rear tire wear as well. Weight loss will quicken lap times but how would it affect our power goals? We knew that if we reduced the back pressure to much we would loose our low and mid range torque. What was the limit on this system? How far could we push it?

Sound:
Tuning exhausts for performance is not always conducive to sound. Producing a true GT3 race car quality exhaust tone was also of great importance. M&M is no stranger to amazing sound and we were anxious to hear what they could produce.

Power:
As we all know the exhaust system on the GT3 is an excellent system from the factory. But, contrary to a lot of misinformation power can be made with the right design, especially from a header. In fact the factory does leave power on the table and we were looking for a full course meal. Our stance has always been that power isn’t everything, useable power in the mid range is.

System 1 - FVD Brombacher race exhaust system with RSR muffler bypass tips, software and BMC sportfilter.

So with our instruction M&M sent the lightest system first. We were extremely pleased with the fit & with the sound. This system is the loudest and most pure GT3 sound any of us have heard. It is perfect for those who are looking for a extremely loud race car sound to scream on the streets. RSR style tip’s really look amazing on the RS and really complete the RS look. Here are the details on this system.

Weight:
For Reference:
997 GT3 OEM Exhaust Weight
Stock primary muffler 22lbs each (44lbs total)
Stock secondary muffler and tips 20lbs
Stock headers and cats 11.25lbs each (22.5lbs total)
Stock exhaust system 86.5 lbs total

FVD 997 GT3 Race Exhaust Super Sound with RSR style tips
Header’s & Cat’s =14 lbs
Center tips and hardware= 6.7 lbs
System Weighs 34.7 lbs total.
= 51.8 lbs lighter than stock exhaust!!!

Pictures:

Sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDMLssANQAo

Pure unadulterated GT3 race car sound!! We were thrilled with the sound but were concerned about the backpressure. Here are the results…

Power:

While we would have liked to see more power, this system has very little back pressure with the muffler bypass. The loss of backpressure and the torque loss are directly related. This is an excellent example of a system that is to free flowing not making power. Backpressure is absolutely vital to a naturally aspirated Porsche.

Please Note: After these results we have chosen to add the stock center muffler adapters so that you will see similar power gains to the system below.

System 1 consists of these FVD part numbers:
Race exhaust with RSR muffler bypass tips part # BES 997 092 60SR
BMC sport filter part # 470 195 01
FVD Software program part # FVD 997 618 30

Pricing & more information...

System 2 – FVD Brombacher race exhaust system with sport muffler and RSR style tips

We sent the results from our first system to M&M and FVD Germany. M&M finalized a center muffler design and now FVD Germany’s programming department would tweak the software to complement the exhaust.

Now we were at the business end of GT3Ranger’s custom system. Unfortunately we had to add a little weight, the muffler weighed 22.5 lbs to be exact but the sound and performance were exactly what we had in mind…

Weight:
For Reference:
997 GT3 OEM Exhaust Weight
Stock primary muffler 22lbs each (44lbs total)
Stock secondary muffler and tips 20lbs
Stock headers and cats 11.25lbs each (22.5lbs total)
Stock exhaust system 86.5 lbs total

FVD 997 GT3 Race Exhaust with RSR style tips
Header’s & Cat’s = 14 lbs.
Muffler and hardware = 28.0 lbs
System Weighs 42 lbs total.
= 42 lbs lighter than stock exhaust!!!

Pictures:

Sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZoNI_BIVuk

Power:

In combination with the highest hp exhaust set up FVD Germany sent a custom software file based on the air/fuel ratio from this system’s dyno pull. Our focus with the software and the headers & muffler was useable torque and horsepower in the mid range. We gained 38.4 ft-lbs and 33.2 hp as you can see!! Our max. gains were 18.4 ft-lbs and 24.4 hp at the wheels but in conjunction with our mid range power this set up is very potent! Our header & muffler combination offer a significant advantage in the mid range and will help coming out of every corner on the track. In closing I would like to say that Porsche does leave a lot on the table with the header and muffler set up on the GT3’s, if you are interested in gaining more horsepower and torque with exhaust, software and a filter please give us a call….

System 2 consists of these FVD part numbers:
Race exhaust with sport center muffler & RSR tips part # BES 997 092 60SRS
BMC sport filter part # 470 195 01
FVD Software program part # FVD 997 618 30

Pricing & more Information...

In closing, I would like to thank GT3Ranger and Champion Motorsports.

GT3Ranger for being so patient with these results, his car has been done for more than a month now but we have not had much time to put all of this information together. Thanks Ranger!

Champion Motorsports for graciously letting us use their dyno. Thanks Guys!

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Sounds good. Glad to finally see some results. So, the results in the last graph were gained with exhaust and software combo, right? Not exhaust alone. What correction was used on the before and after dynos? I assume the pulls were not done the same day; can you provide the weather temps for the before and after dynos as well? Any dyno results of the full TI system? "OmahaGT" never posted any.
Thanks.

Last edited by GT1; 02-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Perfect !

Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
JMD0977,

Thanks. Correct, as I mentioned system #2 is with software, exhaust and a BMC sport filter. CF: STD Smoothing:5 on stock pull and exhaust with center muffler pull. I will scan put a link on our server and post for the weather conditions should have it shortly.

I wish I did have the results from the full Ti system. I never received a dyno sheet for Omaha's system either. Let me check with FVD Germany to see what I can get for you.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 PM
AZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to behold
Do you have any db readings on the different packages?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
JMD0977,

Thanks. Correct, as I mentioned system #2 is with software, exhaust and a BMC sport filter. CF: STD Smoothing:5 on stock pull and exhaust with center muffler pull. I will scan put a link on our server and post for the weather conditions should have it shortly.

I wish I did have the results from the full Ti system. I never received a dyno sheet for Omaha's system either. Let me check with FVD Germany to see what I can get for you.

Thanks,
Rhonda
Thanks for the quick response. Any dynos of the #2 system without software?
Interested in the software gains. Just received my Akrapovic race system for a 2010 GT3, which will be dyno'ed before/after same day at Champion also, and at AWD motorsports, and still debating whether to try GIAC, Evoms or maybe FVD software.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Very nice work Rhonda!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Wow, that some serious gains. Great job!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by JMD0977
Thanks for the quick response. Any dynos of the #2 system without software?
Interested in the software gains. Just received my Akrapovic race system for a 2010 GT3, which will be dyno'ed before/after same day at Champion also, and at AWD motorsports, and still debating whether to try GIAC, Evoms or maybe FVD software.
JMD0977,

All of our pulls were done with software for GT3Ranger, but we used the air / fuel info from the pulls to custom tune Ranger's car. If you would like we can do the same for the Akrapovic race system. Most likely FVD Germany already has files ready for those systems on a 2010 GT3 as well. I will check for you.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Premium Sponsor
Sounds good. Glad to finally see some results. So, the results in the last graph were gained with exhaust and software combo, right? Not exhaust alone. What correction was used on the before and after dynos? I assume the pulls were not done the same day; can you provide the weather temps for the before and after dynos as well? Any dyno results of the full TI system? "OmahaGT" never posted any.
Thanks.
JMD0977,

Vic kindly sent over this dyno sheet which has all three runs on it with the conditions. This will help you out. I should have the answers from FVD Germany in the morning for you for the Ti system and the software.

Thanks!
Rhonda

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 PM
HRTC is on a distinguished road
Awesome work. The RSR tips and the HP/TQ gains are great!! Cant wait to see the comparison between the Akrapovic race system and this one.

Sharkwerks and whom ever else sells GT3 exhausts should post their product/gains here and make this thread a sticky? Mods???

Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
GT1
Originally Posted by HRTC
Awesome work. The RSR tips and the HP/TQ gains are great!! Cant wait to see the comparison between the Akrapovic race system and this one.

Sharkwerks and whom ever else sells GT3 exhausts should post their product/gains here and make this thread a sticky? Mods???
I agree.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
DanH has a little shameless behaviour in the past
So any idea on volume levels?

Could it fit a 996 with cup bumper?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
GT1
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
JMD0977,

Vic kindly sent over this dyno sheet which has all three runs on it with the conditions. This will help you out. I should have the answers from FVD Germany in the morning for you for the Ti system and the software.

Thanks!
Rhonda
Rhonda, correct me if I'm wrong, but:

The baseline results are: 370 whp and 279 wtq @ 82 degree weather.
The exhaust #1 with software results are: 381 whp and 277 wtq @ 82 degree weather.
The exhaust #2 with software results are: 394 whp and 297 wtq @ 70 degree weather.

The baseline and exhaust #1 have the same STD correction: 1.02, because the runs were in identical weather; but exhaust #2 has a correction of 0.99, because exhaust #2 dyno was done in 10 degree colder weather. 1.02-0.99 = 0.3 difference, which is 3%. As many know, every 10 degrees colder weather, will show a 3% higher reading(more power) difference on the same car, same dyno. In order to really compare these results, as if all runs were done in the same weather, 3% of the total output reading the exhaust #2 shows need to be deducted, because 10 degrees colder weather will show 3% higher output. By deducting that 3% off the results from exhaust #2, and factoring in the same weather to match the base line's and exhaust #1's weather, would bring exhaust #2 peak power down to 382 whp and 288 wtq (not 394whp, 297 wtq), that is the correct gain reading for exhaust #2 with software. 18 whp and 9 wtq more than the baseline, and only 10 wtq more than exhaust #1 without any HP gain, being that exhaust #2 has more back pressure that exhaust #1 loses.

Last edited by GT1; 02-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Rhonda, correct me if I'm wrong, but:

The baseline results are: 370 whp and 279 wtq @ 82 degree weather.
The exhaust #1 with software results are: 381 whp and 277 wtq @ 82 degree weather.
The exhaust #2 with software results are: 394 whp and 297 wtq @ 70 degree weather.

The baseline and exhaust #1 have the same STD correction: 1.02, because the runs were in identical weather; but exhaust #2 has a correction of 0.99, because exhaust #2 dyno was done in 10 degree colder weather. 1.02-0.99 = 0.3 difference, which is 3%. As many know, every 10 degrees colder weather, will show a 3% higher reading(more power) difference on the same car, same dyno. In order to really compare these results, as if all runs were done in the same weather, 3% of the total output reading the exhaust #2 shows need to be deducted, because 10 degrees colder weather will show 3% higher output. By deducting that 3% off the results from exhaust #2, and factoring in the same weather to match the base line's and exhaust #1's weather, would bring exhaust #2 peak power to 382 whp and 288 wtq, that is the correct gain reading for exhaust #2 with software. 18 whp and 9 wtq more than the baseline, and only 10 wtq more than exhaust #1 without any HP gain, being that exhaust #2 has more back pressure that exhaust #1 loses.
WOW! Holy $h!t batman!
Don't over think it. It's not that important. Put on your Akropavic exhaust, enjoy it and God bless you.

Ranger

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher – GT3 Rangers quest for an extremely potent exhaust & software package