Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

RMS leak = Chance for LWFW upgrade or Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
So what's the deal here.. which major parts are needed to do the LWFW conversion on a low mile GT3? We've heard parts prices from $1K to $2500 (that one $5300 figure sounds way too high). Flywheel only? Flywheel and the Pressure Plate? Friction Plate, too? TIA

Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Update!! LWFW done!!

I'm happy to report that today I got my car is back from porsche service department (The Collection, Coral Gables, Florida)
Originally I reported to them an oil leak (suspected RMS), I also requested to upgrade LWFW while they perform this repair.

Later They reported to me two oil leaks:
  • Pipe Leaking oil on top of engine.
  • Small oil leak in RMS.
They repaired both leaks and cleanned the engine, in the process they remove and reinstall: the engine, the oil filter console, the intake distributor, unflanged-flanged transmision, remove clutch and flywheel, replace RMS and install spacer as per porsche bulletin.

They provided a very profesional service, I had to pay only for the parts included in the LWFW upgrade Kit, in the end It cost me $1629.66 + Tax. Everything else was covered under the warranty.

Parts breakdown:
- Ball Bearing 35 mm (1)
- Socket Screw 10x24 (9)
- Ring Gear (1)
- LWFlywheel (1)
- Clutch Disk (1)
- Release Bearing (1)
- Clutch guide tube (1)
- Socket screw 8x45 (9)

Car feels great!!, engine is sharper, increase in noise is really minimal, So far is all perfect, I'm really happy, my car produces even more smiles per mile now!! .

I think i made a really good desition cancelling my original appointment at Champion, the guys at The Collection service dept. were always helpful and straigthforward, initially they told the parts were goint to be around $1000.00 but evidently they were missing something.

I really thank everybody for the comments.

Regards,

Old 03-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
thanks for the update gus.. so what is your impression of the LWFW? or can you not really get on it since you probably have to break her in up to 1800 miles again?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
thanks for the update gus.. so what is your impression of the LWFW? or can you not really get on it since you probably have to break her in up to 1800 miles again?

Well, Do I really have to go througt a 1800 miles break in? I don't think I can do it again!!

I was planning to take it easy for the first few hundred of miles.

All I can say is that you can feel the difference from the moment you turn the ignition key!!, it revs easier, the feel is still more connection with the car, also i took a few times to 7000 rpm and it was nice, I'm not saying it is a huge change, It is still my car, but if you definitly can tell something is more alive.

now I want to get some other mods done and then find a track/track group to really enjoy the car. some suggestions?

I need to get hook since I'm newbie to SF.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
If I understand correctly, you did not pay any labor costs for the install of the LWFW entire package?
Am I missing something?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 AM
JAMS is infamous around these parts
Same deal here.. I only paid for parts (plus a $100 tip to the technician for the extra work involved).

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
If I understand correctly, you did not pay any labor costs for the install of the LWFW entire package?
Am I missing something?
GT3Ranger, You are not missing a bit, Nothing paid on labor, just paid for the parts.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Well that makes me feel real good. I was totally raped.
Now I know what was that nagging pain I kept feeling.

Talk about live and learn.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Well that makes me feel real good. I was totally raped.
Now I know what was that nagging pain I kept feeling.

Talk about live and learn.
Sorry to hear that GT3Ranger, do you want to comment on your experience? where did you did yours?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gus F
I'm happy to report that today I got my car is back from porsche service department (The Collection, Coral Gables, Florida)
Originally I reported to them an oil leak (suspected RMS), I also requested to upgrade LWFW while they perform this repair.

Later They reported to me two oil leaks:
  • Pipe Leaking oil on top of engine.
  • Small oil leak in RMS.
They repaired both leaks and cleanned the engine, in the process they remove and reinstall: the engine, the oil filter console, the intake distributor, unflanged-flanged transmision, remove clutch and flywheel, replace RMS and install spacer as per porsche bulletin.

They provided a very profesional service, I had to pay only for the parts included in the LWFW upgrade Kit, in the end It cost me $1629.66 + Tax. Everything else was covered under the warranty.

Parts breakdown:
- Ball Bearing 35 mm (1)
- Socket Screw 10x24 (9)
- Ring Gear (1)
- LWFlywheel (1)
- Clutch Disk (1)
- Release Bearing (1)
- Clutch guide tube (1)
- Socket screw 8x45 (9)

Car feels great!!, engine is sharper, increase in noise is really minimal, So far is all perfect, I'm really happy, my car produces even more smiles per mile now!! .

I think i made a really good desition cancelling my original appointment at Champion, the guys at The Collection service dept. were always helpful and straigthforward, initially they told the parts were goint to be around $1000.00 but evidently they were missing something.

I really thank everybody for the comments.

Regards,
Great to hear it all went smooth! The collection has been very nice to me even though i never bought my car there. I wish i can say the same for Champion. I am just made when i have my trasmission fixed at the collection i did not have the LWFW installed too!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Am I missing something?
Honestly, if you keep going to Champion you will get ripped off. Just ask anyone, their repuation says it all. Especially when they see someone they know spends money, they really take advantge of you.