Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:00 PM
rocman is infamous around these parts
I am sorry to hear about your accident. Hope everyone is ok.

As far as the mods on the ACR, this is from the horse's mouth. I hope this dispels any rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hennessey
and i dont know what ley keen is talking about as far as certain high tech mods done to the ACR. as someone stated earlier, here are the exact mods:

hennessey 1 7/8 long tube headers with 3 inch exhaust
k&n drop in filter
less agressive suspension (factory kw system is designed for sport cups)
race seat
5-point harness
track alignment spec
used set of sidewinder wheels with 18/19 ps2 tires (oem 2008 viper spec)

that's it. if somebody is suggesting that we have some sort of traction control, gps track navigation, robotic steering system, kung-foo grip shifter, all-wheel drive, undercar suction device, then they are simply embarassing themselves by making laughable excuses.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
kingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of light
lol... i like how Hennessey cant even spell my name right...

when he emailed ME last year to tell me nice job during the onelap.. so i know he knows how to spell it.... and said he would like to meet me when he comes up for the end... but then the viper broke and they didnt win so he didnt come....

but seriously... at least spell my name right....

Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Now I want GTR V spec instead of regular one.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kingleh
and guys... while i was posting riding in the car... we hit a deer at about 50....

we are done....

i will talk more tomorrow

dam.....
#$%^....

hope for the best.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
So Dez, are we running your 996 TT next year or are you buying this new Datsun that Leh's talking about for the event?

I've been thinking, I dont put many miles on my car (6k in 1.5 years), 5k is a lot for one week, I need to chew on that for a bit.

But you already know it wont be a GT-R, though I'd consider an EVO.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rafiki
Get the keys to Heavy first LOL.
Being impressed with it wont make me think it's faster than a GT3 on the circuit, or a TT in a straight line, because its not. I have stated the only way I'll beleive that, is reputable non biased driver in both, or a bias reputable driver for each. No media propaganda, just the real deal.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
All the press and the figures in Europe are showing the GT-R to be faster than a 911 GT3 or 911 Turbo on the track or off it.

They are also saying it is great to drive and a real junior supercar. Hats off to Nissan they have done a bang up job and produced a real contender for the best performance value car for the money.

Chris Harris a UK magazine guy and a truly ardent Porsche guy called it a draw between it and the GT3 and as he said if it is as good to drive as the best in his opinion car Porsche make then it is a truly special animal. You combine that with its price and you can really see what they have achieved.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
A post from Mary Seehorst

I'm a co-driver in the GTR. Had to get on here to defend our honor. We're really sorry to hear Leh is out, he's a great guy and has run really well. I have to say I'm impressed with how fair y'all have been, for the most part. To set the record straight:
Leh is right, the LC was cutting out after Tony set it. He practiced launch a couple of times, but apparently when you're inching up to staging, tapping the brake, it doesn't like that. After the first run, Tony tested it again before lining up. Worked perfectly. I watched him. I suggested maybe he should just put it in full auto and stand on it, but he'd seen what it could to. C/D tested THIS car last week and ran 11.7 -- however, it laboratory conditions aren't the same as on the strip. Anyway, second time he tried setting it after getting up to the staging area (good thing they just count ET, not RT!), but still no luck.
A Nissan engineer who happened to be in the area came out to BMW yesterday and tried to replicate it, but couldn't. We weren't with him when he tried it out, so I don't know how similar his attempts were to staging on a drag strip.
A few other items, FYI:
1. Yes, Tony IS a grandpa. As someone pointed out, it IS great to be doing what he's doing at his age or any other.
2. Yes, he's been racing for years and has now done 32 24-hour races. But some of these tracks he's never been on before--few drivers have been on all of them.
3. Yes, the car is bone stock. Many others aren't, but it's not true that only pro drivers win. Mark DaVia is not a pro and has won four times. His ABS went out yesterday.
4. No, we haven't had the car for a month. Got it a week before the event, but Tony had a cast on his wrist until Weds and we left for the event Friday. No seat time on a track until Road America. Tony won his class there at the June Sprints last year, and knows it well.
5. Yes, these tires aren't good in the wet. But it was raining like mad at TWS -- some of those photos were taken before we started. After the first run group it really stared pouring.

We're at VIR now, and it's raining. Tony looked at the rain and said "God must hate me." We'll see! We look forward to meeting any of you who come out and now I have to run
Mary
Everyone is in agreement now that the GTR is not having mechanicals but the LC is a tricky fish to setup. Personally, I would not find it very reassuring if my $70k "116mph 11.7s" car was going to be merely 112mph 12.8s in regular driving situations.

Last edited by eclou; 05-08-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 AM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kingleh
in the first paragraph he sais.. "the GTR is SO not a supermodel"

i quit reading there......

who the eff sais stuff like that....
oh the irony

Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 AM
my experience is that theres a significant disparity between the reality inside the GTR and much being attributed to it in the media etc.
given its not out in the wild yet in a significant way, perhaps we should wait until one can easily get into it free from any corporate control and reconvene in 18 months or 2 years and see where the GTR has gone and what everyone thinks at this point.
i suspect many will be slightly coy about their previous postings.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by neilwight
my experience is that theres a significant disparity between the reality inside the GTR and much being attributed to it in the media etc.
given its not out in the wild yet in a significant way, perhaps we should wait until one can easily get into it free from any corporate control and reconvene in 18 months or 2 years and see where the GTR has gone and what everyone thinks at this point.
i suspect many will be slightly coy about their previous postings.
Care to expand on your experience.....

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 AM
gladly privately, not in public however.
not only was i extremely fortunate and have no desire to get anyones knuckles rapped but also its irrelevant what i say or thought.
its such a hot topic with passions high that im just opening a door i have no desire to step through. it has become so polarised that i think many may look back on their comments, from both sides, when some time has passed and wince a little

Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 AM
BOXER12 is infamous around these parts
Very few 'press' types have much seat time in a 911 GT3 or 911 Turbo, and those cars require an experienced driver to get the most out of them. I have no doubt that the avg 'press' guy, esp the 20 somethings that get the lastest Jap car ride, will find the GT-R faster (when it is prob just easier to drive fast). The european press also has a lot more experience in 'gizmo' cars. As for all the probs these guys are having, that's the problem with gizmos. When I go to track days, the guys with the gizmos are spending all their time in the pits. A gizmo will never be my first choice for a track car. That's the beauty of the GT3 and the ACR. Simple, reliable, and fast.

Last edited by BOXER12; 05-08-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:51 AM
So Nissan did have an engineer sneaking around. Sneaky cheating bastards, isnt that against the rules?

Leh, I told you to check the glovebox, those little dudes can fit anywhere.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by plantagenet
All the press and the figures in Europe are showing the GT-R to be faster than a 911 GT3 or 911 Turbo on the track or off it.

They are also saying it is great to drive and a real junior supercar.

Chris Harris a UK magazine guy and a truly ardent Porsche guy called it a draw between it and the GT3 and as he said if it is as good to drive as the best in his opinion car Porsche make then it is a truly special animal...
Interesting...so European , UK , Australian and US press agree on this....it must be a conspiracy. Just joking.

Anyone who has had experience with the earlier versions of the GTR know how good they are. This one is just a huge leap forward.

I guess it's understandable there is some cynicism in new markets like the US...but some people carry on as if the GTR is going to threaten their manhood and livelihood, deflate their ego and steal their girlfriend.

LOL.

It's only a car...and you go to give credit where its due.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R