GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
BOXER12 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rafiki
So according to you, the Porsche 959 was a gizmo car....LOL.

And the technology that's trickled down to the 996tt like awd and twin turbos is also gizmo.

PASM, VVT on the 997TT....Traction control on most modern cars....all gizmos?

BTW last time I checked, the 997 GT3 was endowed with both PASM as well as traction control?
Upon further reflection, You are right. Those are all gizmo cars. Since the late-80's, Porsche is the king of gizmo. I retract what I said about the GT3. Only the ACR is simple, reliable and fast.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You can always look at tires. R comps pick up debris and when they get hot they get gooey. Where as overheated PS2's will distort and melt, but they wont pick up anything. At least they wouldnt have had the paddock gravel stuck to them completely covering them up at VIR and CMP. I've seen them (PS2's) way overheated before. MPSC compound will pick up even when they are semi cold will sound like someone throwing snad and small rocks at the bottom of your car. Of course it's much easier heard from the inside of the car. Someone that's spent a lot of time at the track as these guys will be able to tell the difference I would bet.
I looked it up...
Tire rule:
"In order to assure that all tires are standard street legal tires as sold by their manufacturers to the general public; all participants are required to purchase the tires they use during the event directly from The Tire Rack.
The 2008 One Lap of America tires will have unique identification permanently branded to their sidewall to clearly identify their origin. Vehicles will not be allowed to participate in the event unless their tires have the required identification branding."

BTW, I disagree that a PS2 won't be covered with gravel at the end of an event when worn on a Viper. I have first hand experience, albeit with a Gen2. It won't be as bad as a racing slick, but they will be covered, esp at VIR with all the gravel in its parking area. I think having a look at the ID branding will be your best bet to expose a cheater, if that is your concern. Somehow I doubt it, the ACR doesn't need that kind of trickery.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:03 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
So, what did GTR do at VIR? They were there today. The website mention only the total time and not the best lap.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BOXER12

BTW, I disagree that a PS2 won't be covered with gravel at the end of an event when worn on a Viper. I have first hand experience, albeit with a Gen2. It won't be as bad as a racing slick, but they will be covered, esp at VIR with all the gravel in its parking area..

It wont be as bad as a MPSC either, that's what I'm trying to say. You may get some sand on PS2, but hot MPSC will pick up some big stuff like those big pebbles at CMP's paddock and not just the sand, not only that street rubber and harder compounds wont have holes and damage in them when they drive over that stuff and are hot. MPSC will have pits and holes in it just like a slick. There are many many ways to tell the difference. You can feel them at the end of a session and PS2's will not feel gummy like a MPSC.

But with the rules, I did see the Viper on branded tires presumably from Tire Rack, so you are talking about a huge cheating deal for them to get special tires. Maybe the car's so fast it just looked like it was on R-Comps.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
kingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
He's a ricer. KINGELHMAN. Oliver!

when you hit a apex in something other then your bicycle...

u can call me a ricer...

Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM
BTW, in case you haven't heard, there are "new for 08 , Viper specific PS2s" and the first supplier to get them will (is) Tire Rack.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
kingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of lightkingleh is a glorious beacon of light
ok.....

so who called bull**** on my story for today?.....

eaaaat it.....

crunch crunch crunch...

Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Lol......

Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by kingleh
ok.....

so who called bull**** on my story for today?.....

eaaaat it.....

crunch crunch crunch...
I just want to know...can you link Hennessey to the deer you hit? (Glad you weren't hurt, btw)

Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by BOXER12
I just want to know...can you link Hennessey to the deer you hit? (Glad you weren't hurt, btw)

like... link him a picture...

or like.. he put it there.. by magic and stuff?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !

u can call me a ricer...
Low blow, Connor has a power wheels common man!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 PM
yea... i originally typed powerwheels... but then i remembered that Connor got his training wheels off his bike a couple weeks ago... so i think he has been riding it alot lately...

oooooooooooo... low blow number deuce....

Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 PM
pics of the carnage...

im also adding a pic of the deer hair stuck into the bumper.... for the guy that was trying to say we made it up....

and also.. Donnie.. the owner of the car built a gocart track in his backyard... its Bad A.....

]

Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future

u can call me a ricer...
Oliver and I already did. .

Then I hit it one time in a Blue R34.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 AM
plantagenet is on a distinguished road
What is particularly impressive is that in the past the GTR was as good as the normal 911 now it is as good if nto better than either the turbo or the gt3 yet the price point is still the same.

@Boxer12

Chris Harris actually drives a porsche in the porsche cup. Many of the guys that are saying this car is special have very good race experience, having competed in Le Mans or in the case of Jason Plato the fifth gear presenter actually beign a touring car driver.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R