GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R

4 100 Nissan GT-R SSGT1 BB 8:11.213 345
Tony Swan, Mary Seelhorst
5 3 Mongoose GTP SSGT1 BB 8:11.271 340
Jeremy Herzberg, Danny Popp

6 22 Porsche GT3 SSGT1 BB 8:15.121 335
Peter Lier, Ian Stewart

Less than 4 seconds difference over 3 laps from a standing start. So a little over 1 second per lap. This is a 996 GT3. I imagine with the fool proof launch, it got almost a second on the launch since the 996 GT3 is mid to low 4's 0-60.

So somewhere like 1 second a lap over a 996 GT3. Similar tires, same track, same day. There are some faster cars (2 996 TT's, ACR, but they have some substantial mods)

And this is Road America that has TONS of long straights. I'd bet all of that time difference is on the straights.

REAL WORLD!

Last edited by heavychevy; 05-03-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Dez you the man...

Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
A GTR is in the One Lap of America. Leh sent me vids and pics of it. We'll see how it does with fair competition.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:32 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Dez you the man...
Well, it is real world, and makes more sense. No sandbagging, no drifting. A real comparison isnt done by magazines. For the most part, the guys in the front are all very good drivers.

LOL, and in fact Tony Swan (The guy driving the GTR) is the same guy that beat Steve Millen at Buttonwillow by a second in the Z06.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:15 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
That makes me feel better! the 996 is only a second slower- older tech and MUCH better looking.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
ssgt3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by heavychevy

Peter Lier, Ian Stewart
Peter Lier is a member of this board, so maybe he will chime in here. Last time I saw it, this car was completely stock, including factory shocks.

Ian Stewart, the hotshoe of the pair, is a OLOA rookie. I believe he started his road racing career less than 2 years ago in a SSB Civic in SCCA events.

edit: Reading on another board - Ian has never driven Road America before, and reportedly picked up roughly 3 seconds a lap on each of his 3 laps.....

Last edited by ssgt3; 05-04-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:46 PM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Tony is consistent and not slow, but he's not the quickest (these days). Despite that by the end of the event I predict that car will place very highly; the cars in front of him will likely be modified tuner cars with pro/ semi pro drivers.

Having said that, conclusions drawn from this event are near worthless, as the driver is the over-riding variable. You don't get even a single full warm-up lap before going for it in One Lap. If one guy has been to the track recently the the other guy hasn't (or has never seen it) it will trump any difference between the cars. Same driver, same day or it's pretty worthless.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 AM
rafiki is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by heavychevy

Peter Lier, Ian Stewart

Less than 4 seconds difference over 3 laps from a standing start. So a little over 1 second per lap. This is a 996 GT3. I imagine with the fool proof launch, it got almost a second on the launch since the 996 GT3 is mid to low 4's 0-60.

So somewhere like 1 second a lap over a 996 GT3. Similar tires, same track, same day. There are some faster cars (2 996 TT's, ACR, but they have some substantial mods)

And this is Road America that has TONS of long straights. I'd bet all of that time difference is on the straights.

REAL WORLD!
Interesting.

Do you know what mods these cars were running?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by petevb
Tony is consistent and not slow, but he's not the quickest (these days). Despite that by the end of the event I predict that car will place very highly; the cars in front of him will likely be modified tuner cars with pro/ semi pro drivers.

Having said that, conclusions drawn from this event are near worthless, as the driver is the over-riding variable. You don't get even a single full warm-up lap before going for it in One Lap. If one guy has been to the track recently the the other guy hasn't (or has never seen it) it will trump any difference between the cars. Same driver, same day or it's pretty worthless.

There are far too many tracks for anyone to have been to all of them. Tony has done A LOT of one laps. So he knows the process. The guys in the GT3 have done a couple and have autocross experience. Tony's been to so many, he's been to Road America several times with the one lap. Tony's also been to No Problem, Mid America and VIR

There is plenty you can draw from this, similarly talented drivers, all having to drive tracks (at some point), they've never driven before. Most will know the tracks closest to them the best as they will likely have been to them more times, and went there to practice leading up to the event.

Both have been to the next venue (mid america) before. And they get recon laps, but no real practice. So while it's not the purest form of comparison, it's equal, and can still be a representation of cars abilities.

The only advantage the GT3 has is that the guys in it have more seat time in that particular car. But I thought the GT-R was so easy, grandma could do it?

I fully expect the GT-R to place highly (unless the diff breaks) because some of the tuner cars will fold or hae problems. Especially the ones with vette parts (an M6 placed 5th a couple of years ago) so it's not all about mods and tunability etc. Just about being consistent and not breaking or DNF'ing. At least for the overall title.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Even more telling is that most of these guys could beat the majority of mag drivers in only 3 laps so it's still a better comparison than most of the mags, especially ones that have agendas.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
I don't understand why people get all hung-up over these comparos. I think the GTR will be faster anyway you slice it. If raw perf by the numbers is what you're after, I'd get the GTR. It's a lot cheaper and more tuneable so you'd be a fool not to get it over the GT3 (again, if raw perf is what you care about). As for me, the GTR is fugly, has no soul, and probably isn't near as fun to drive as the GT3 (haven't driven one so I can't say for sure). I've been driving my GT3 as a daily driver now since November and I love it more and more every day. No car I've ever owned or driven even comes close.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Just real world vs magazine world. So people can see the difference.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is on a distinguished road
So the GTR won again? Wrong tyres?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:49 AM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
here we go again

Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Z07
So the GTR won again? Wrong tyres?
No it didnt win, not even close, on the skid pad or the circuit. But the cars ahead of it (way ahead of it) have a few mods so i didnt count those. But if you count 1 second a lap faster than a 996 GT3 with a driver who'd never been to that track a win, then yeah, enjoy?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: REAL WORLD 996 GT3 vs GT-R