GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How long do PCCB rotors suppose to last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
So help me understand something. I am saving $$ for a GT3
If PCCBs have to be heat cycled everytime the car is driven in order not to "Shock" the rotors as stated above, Which makes since to me for track duty.....

Are PCCB's a waste of money if the GT3 is not going to be tracked? But rather a GT3 street car? Or get used to replacing 5k rotors every 10-20k miles?

For the money PCCB's are a TOTAL waste for a non track car. Ceramic brakes are for the track, and there is nothing on the street that a steel set can handle 100 times over. In fact, you may have more of a chance chewing up the PCCB's as Fabryce mentioned than you would cracking the steel rotors. With no tracking, the steel rotors will last you a long time, and they are FAR FAR cheaper.

IMO PCCB's for the street is pointless.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
tocho's wear problem is very unusual and most likely has nothing to do with the brakes not being at temperature...proper pads and proper bedding are much more critical to rotor longevity...there have been instances where dealers have installed the wrong pads for pccb's or they weren't bedded properly...either can destroy the rotors...if you are not tracking pccb's make no sense and a lot of the guys who track most of the time replace their pccb's with good quality irons...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-05-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
BradPete is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by heavychevy
For the money PCCB's are a TOTAL waste for a non track car. Ceramic brakes are for the track, and there is nothing on the street that a steel set can handle 100 times over. In fact, you may have more of a chance chewing up the PCCB's as Fabryce mentioned than you would cracking the steel rotors. With no tracking, the steel rotors will last you a long time, and they are FAR FAR cheaper.

IMO PCCB's for the street is pointless.
Actually, we cahanged to iron discs in our GT3 Cup which we're driving National's because of high operating costs on ceramic's. Iron's with Motorsport Pad's are doing great for me in there.

However, I have Ceramic's in my 997 TT (with EVO700), they work well, but the wear is quite big in track, also because first I was using PSM which does lot of harm to brakes in track.... I am only waiting them to be replaced and see the cost.....

Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 AM
ianburst is on a distinguished road
I am about to replace my Gen 1 PCCB rotors with the[reportedly] better 05-onward version.However,it seems from this thread that even the later model cars are having problems.
Question:Are the later PCCB rotors any better for track use,if warmed up properly? and:How do I break them in?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by ianburst
I am about to replace my Gen 1 PCCB rotors with the[reportedly] better 05-onward version.However,it seems from this thread that even the later model cars are having problems.
Question:Are the later PCCB rotors any better for track use,if warmed up properly? and:How do I break them in?
Don't get this wrong- gen 2 PCCB's are excllent in tarck and not like gen 1 cracking etc. But like as an other ceramic brakes, they wear out and the running costs in tarck use are quite high.

This is why we changed to iron's in our Cup car, they are working also great and much lower running costs compared to PCCb's.

Anyhow... I love PCCB's, their drive feel is excellent!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 AM
pressing is on a distinguished road
The problem with PCCB's of all variations is that there is an inherent weakness in the longevity of the rotor because the actual friction layer is only around 1.00mm thick. This is laminated onto the body of the disc, despite the improvements over the various iterations, once you have caused 'carbon burn' beyond the manufacturer SGL Carbon's guidlines, the rotor's are junk. 'Carbon burn' is there the outer friction layer has started to de-laminate.

The reason for the laminated disc is twofold, firstly it's quick to manufacture, and secondly reasonably cheap (at least what Porsche Ag pay SGL carbon!).

I've investigated PCCB's in great depth as I have them on my 18k mile Carrera GT and they are in the early stages of carbon burn. I've replaced them with ST rotors. These are manfuactured in the UK and sold through Movit. The entire construction of the disc is ceramic composite, and the fibres are longer and have a different orientation so the lifespan of the disc is hugely more than the SGL/PCCB solution.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM
tocho is on a distinguished road
pressing, pardon my ignorance...what are ST rotors?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry, ST are System ST rotors. The company was founded to provide a solution for the French high speed train to reduce the number of cast iron rotors per carriage.

Their website is:

http://www.systemst.com/

Here they are fitted to my Carrera GT. System ST and Movit are currently making a set of rotors that will be cross drilled and mounted to the PCCB/SGL hat and mounting hardware so it will retain the OE look:

Name:  CGT2.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  95.8 KB

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Interesting, how do they compare to OEM rotors price wise?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
In the UK PCCB's are £4k GBP each + 17.5% sales tax.

The Movit/System ST including new hats and hardward is around 55% of the cost of the PCCB. This with better durability and within 0.50kg per corner of the PCCB makes it an excellent solution.

Some more information:

http://www.movit.de/rahmen/ceramic.htm

Please note I have no commercial attachment to either Movit or System ST, just a satisfied customer!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks much

Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
Thanks for saving me money not buying a car with PCCB's....although I do like the idea of removing them when new and adding steel rotors. Then either reselling them or replacing when it is time to sell.....

Old 08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by pressing
The reason for the laminated disc is twofold, firstly it's quick to manufacture, and secondly reasonably cheap (at least what Porsche Ag pay SGL carbon!).
Besides of price reason, could it be also safety reasons in road use? I mean few years ago ceramic brakes was told to be very fragile in winter temperatures and also, if the wear is maximum, whole disc could "vaporate" while braking?

On track/ racing people pay lot more attention to wear/ tear, but how about regular users in road? Could this two side "sandwich" be a solution to avoide these?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Val
Val is on a distinguished road
Anyone replaced ceramics for steels on CGT? I track my car regularly and have no intention of spending what? $16ish? to replace the freaking rotors

Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 PM
ianburst is on a distinguished road
Sunset Porsche[jeff],Portland,Oregon, PCCB rotors $4142 each

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How long do PCCB rotors suppose to last?