turbo vs gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is on a distinguished road
turbo vs gt3

turbo vs gt3
Well after 500 miles on the gt3 I wanted to post my observations and opinions for people interested in the gt3. As many of you know I came from a stage 3 turbo with the following modifications-giac stage 3, ruf exhaust, ruf suspension, k24’s, sachs clutch, ruf steering wheel, ruf pedals, sport seats, and reus audio. I highlight the modifications in order to give you all a sense of what my observations are based on. I have had tons of track time with the turbo and felt that the safety of the turbo’s four wheel psm drive system made for a great time on the track although it did impede on my progress as a driver. However it did allow me to safely get use to incredible speeds that might have taken me years in another car to achieve. However I found the psm and lack of rear mechanical differential to be a constant problem on the rotors and pads and quite expensive at times. In addition the bear claw nature of the four wheel drive system was often frustrating at times.

After driving this car I have come to the conclusion that you can’t just modify a car and make it a track car with simple mods such as the ones above. Yes you can improve the speed drastically, improve the sound, and alter the suspension but you can’t get the racecar feel out of a turbo. Don’t get me wrong. I think every modification to the turbo did improve the car but after all was said and done I felt that I had a phenomenal street car which could be taken on the track. What I yearned for was a track car that I could take on the street. And this is where the gt3 shines.

The gt3 has a light get up and go feeling that makes you want to go after every turn with a vengeance yet respect. The turbo on the other hand makes you want to take the straights with a vengeance and no respect. For me I prefer the delicate nature of the turns but for many the power of the straights is more alluring and hence the turbo might be a better choice. I call it the JLO of the 996 series b/c you feel the *** on every aspect of the drive. With the turbo I always felt somewhat detached from the road (this is actually what makes it a fantastic and maybe one of the all time best street cars). With the gt3 I have actually slowed down my speeds b/c the cars sensitivity is humbling at points and much more tactile. Clearly I have much more confidence with my old turbo and hopefully time will narrow the gap. The gearbox on the gt3 is far superior. There is no slop. However if you choose the wrong gear you are severely hampered in the power band much more so then the turbo.

If you love the power of the turbo then the gt3 might not be the car of choice. If you dislike not feeling the engine modulation of the turbo, want a lighter more nimble car, and often feel detached in the turbo then the gt3 might offer some advantages.

The steering is much lighter then the turbo and the clutch five times stiffer. After you turn the wheel for the turn the car keeps turning in. You have to unwind the steering wheel a bit which highlights the sensitity of the car. As for the decreased sound proofing materials-I am still sorting out some squeaks in the gt3 that I did not have in the turbo.

For those who say that the 997S offers a similar performance which makes for a logical alternative-No way-both cars are designed with an entirely different purpose in mind. The gt3 rewards a great driver and forces one to work with the car. The 997S is a better 996 with an objective of being a street car.

Can the car be a daily driver is often asked? Without a doubt it can be daily driver but the clutch is much harder. The suspension is harsher but also the geometry of the car is set up for the track. You feel that the back is a bit higher and there is less of the typical 996 relaxation comfort feel.

As i wrote in an article for excellence regarding driving in the snow. Yes four wheel drive is faster but two wheel drive is more fun. (turbo aside) My feelings are the same with the gt3

As for the gt2-maybe someone can add there opinion who has had the turbo, gt2 and gt3.

As for modifications- I just put the alcantara steering wheel and shifter from the RS model in the car and find it great. Purchased from Gert and Carnewall. Great modification for any car!!

The car was purchased from our board Sponsor Silver Star in Rosyln New York and I can never say enough good things about Arte and Jack. Both guys run a class operation, don’t give bull**** and don’t take it.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:45 AM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
Well said.

The only thing that I might add is that, on the race track, the only reason that the higher HP/heavier car might feel more exhilirating for some drivers is that they probably are not looking far enough ahead.

If they were to look far ahead, the sensation of speed would disappear and they'd then be able to focus on the corners where the fun really begins.

Just my $0.02.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Mike, congrats on the GT3 and great analysis. I concur wholeheartedly.

As for the GT2, it's a GT3 with an ATTITUDE (and torque). Shares all the attributes of the GT3, but demands more respect -- clearly a more difficult car to drive at the limit on the track than the GT3. I expect you'll have one soon.

Old 09-05-2004, 07:32 PM
How do you like the GT2 Jack? Unfortunately, my only drive in one was in my neighborhood. A guy here locally had just bought one, and wanted an exhaust upgrade. So, he drove my 996TT to listen to the Europipe. And let me drive his GT2. But, my 3 year old insisted on riding with me in my lap. So, I never could get out of the neighborhood!

That sucked!

But, he's clearly a smart kid, not wanting to pass up a ride in the GT2...

Old 09-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
out of curiosity, have you tracked the GT3 on a track you did in the turbi? how much quicker was the turbo?

Old 09-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is on a distinguished road
i have not tracked the gt3 yet

i have tracked a friends for just a lap. The times at the glen were similar with a more experienced driver in the gt3. I don't know what tires were on the car and he also had the me as a passenger.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Great writeup and comparison. From my limited time in the GT2 I agree with Jacks comparison... similar to the GT3 but the power delivery demands more respect.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:43 AM
TSP-MIAMI is on a distinguished road
Hell, both cars are great. We all know they offer very diverse advantages in HP, handling and braking.

Convinced a friend to build a 435 HP GT3 with me. Oh yes, staying normally aspirated. When we are done, we will see how much we have closed the gap on the turbo's over all package.

Theo

Old 09-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by TSP-MIAMI
Hell, both cars are great. We all know they offer very diverse advantages in HP, handling and braking.
Absolutely.

I bought the turbo becausee it was what I had always wanted since it came out in the 70s. I recall when I was in high school I saw a new 911 turbo (one of the first ones in the states) and to this day I still recall the guy's custom plate "mny mgr". At that point I realized at least one path to get to a 911 Turbo. Took a similar path and finally bought one a few years ago. It was just one of those things I had to do.

Now I'm actually switching to the GT3 because my driving pleasure seems to be more road course/back road oriented. In fact, I never did track the Turbo. But I will do DEs in the GT3. I still won't race it wheel to wheel as I'm not quite prepared to push a GT3 off a cliff. Maybe next year. But, I'd have to buy an already raced cup car. The bad things that happen to cars when racing wheel-to-wheel make it difficult for me to put a brand new car that I've washed, waxed and cared for on the track next to a guy in a beat up GT1 Camaro or Mustang for the inevitable abuse. But, if it's preowned racecar - i.e., been hit, rubbed on or at least showered with rocks many times before - then I won't feel so bad.

Last edited by racer63; 09-07-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by racer63
Absolutely.

I bought the turbo becausee it was what I had always wanted since it came out in the 70s. I recall when I was in high school I saw a new 911 turbo (one of the first ones in the states) and to this day I still recall the guy's custom plate "mny mgr". At that point I realized at least one path to get to a 911 Turbo. Took a similar path and finally bought one a few years ago. It was just one of those things I had to do.

I loved my first Turbo.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:10 PM
That looks very much like the car I fell in love with nearly 30 years ago! One of these days, I think I will need to own one just like the guys now who own 50s Chevy Bellaires, T-birds and Vettes.

Of course, then there was the 911S when I was 9... Need one of those too! I never forgave my father for buying that Celica instead of the 911 he was considering at the same time...

Then there's the 962 that I watched when I first found sportscar racing on ESPN in the mid 80s.

This could get to be an expensive collection!

Old 09-07-2004, 10:02 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by racer63

This could get to be an expensive collection!
how could it get expensive when you welsh on a $300 deal?

Old 09-07-2004, 10:52 PM
So are such a class(less) guy.

Still having trouble making that Ferrari payment Watt? As I said several times before, I'll gladly send you that $300 and you don't even have to send me that FUGLY, hideous, and tasteless seat. Anything I can do to help, I'll be glad to.

P.S. Watt, you are one of the most arrogant and intolerant **** orifices I have ever run across. Me thinks you should change your team name to "Team Blowhard Racing." It is more fitting.

Cheers!