Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Anyone own both GT3 and TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 PM
pvgolfer is infamous around these parts
Anyone own both GT3 and TT?

Looking for real experience opinions, not just speculation and/or biased opinions.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...th-gt3-tt.html

Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pvgolfer
Looking for real experience opinions, not just speculation and/or biased opinions.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...th-gt3-tt.html

I have a 996 TT Ruf 550 and a 997.1 GT3. I've tracked the GT3 a few times but generally it's a street car for me.
The GT3 doesn't have the throw you back in the seat torque that the TT has but in every other way the GT3 is a much more rewarding car to drive. I depends on what your priorities are, if acceleration is your number 1 priority then get the TT.
Bottom line for me is that I would have sold the TT if the market wasn't so weak, I never drive it anymore. I've never felt so connected to another car like i do with the GT3.
Just my $.02

Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Bruce
I have a 996 TT Ruf 550 and a 997.1 GT3. I've tracked the GT3 a few times but generally it's a street car for me.
The GT3 doesn't have the throw you back in the seat torque that the TT has but in every other way the GT3 is a much more rewarding car to drive. I depends on what your priorities are, if acceleration is your number 1 priority then get the TT.
Bottom line for me is that I would have sold the TT if the market wasn't so weak, I never drive it anymore. I've never felt so connected to another car like i do with the GT3.
Just my $.02

After hearing comments like this, the wait for my 2010 GT3 becomes even more difficult.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
i own both a 997 turbo and a 2010 gt3, both heavily modded. on any day for any occasion, i prefer the gt3. like bruce, i rarely drive the turbo any more,in fact i "gave" it to my wife because it "fits" her better. don't get me wrong, the turbo is fast, once the turbo lag is over. but at 500lbs extra and soft suspension, it is more of a "grand touring" car. for pure visceral enjoyment, the gt3 rules.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
I like my GT3 over my old 911T. The turbo has more straight line power and much quiter but i wasn't a fan about the driving feel. Very soft in my opinion.

Off topic ............
(I'm going to get flamed but except for the interior quality I feel the GTR was more car than the Turbo and should be considered. It is more comfortable, handles better, cool guages and cheap insurance.) The only risk is warrantee and black box.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 PM
richkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura about
I have an 08 turbo cab and an 07 GT3RS...I love them both! I use the turbo as my daily driver and the GT3 for weekends and track days. The GT3 has a much stiffer suspension and clutch. As far as sound goes they are both modded(turbo with cargraphic exhaust and GT3 with sharkwerks bypass) and they both sound great.

The GT3 is the better handling of the two...lighter, more downforce, and more aggresive tires make a big difference. I like the thrust of a turbo for every driving but when the GT3 is revving at 8k plus it is pretty intoxicating.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 AM
NITEALB is infamous around these parts
I've owned both the 997 iterations of the turbo (2008) and gt3 (2007). i track my cars around 25 times per year and daily drive them to the extent of 20-25000km per year. based on four track days per year i'd suggest you go for the turbo. unless you are a very experienced driver you wont get enough out of a gt3 to make 3 -4 track days a year worthwhile. meanwhile, a turbo is uber fast on just about any road and is much more comfortable. a turbo car will never give you the 8000+ rpm scream of the na motor. buy the tubi race exhaust if u want ur mates to really u in the turbo. i guess the choice comes down to personal taste. i personally prefer the rawness of the gt3 but miss the power of the turbo. thats why i have a gt2! good luck....

Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 AM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
had the 996 gt3 996 tt, 997gt3 997 turbo, 2010 Gt3 and the 2009 TT

the Gt3 in the latest platform is a hands down better car more fun very crisp and responsive but easy cat to take on a trip. ... the things you dont get on gt3 rear seats and sunroof... People can no longer say the TT is a better DD the new 3 is fantastic every way

Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bruce
Just my $.02
What he said
I have an 02 turbo, purchased new ordered to my spec, and an 07 GT3
Like Bruce, I NEVER drive the Turbo anymore...if I could sell it for anything close to a reasonable amount it would be gone tomorrow with no regrets. In fact, if I could sell it I would buy a 2nd GT3.
Turbo has the "shove" of the torque, but GT3 will snap your neck with the immediate throttle response. Handling is not even close; even with JIC suspension and a razor sharp alignment, Turbo just feels numb. And the sound...forget about it. no aftermarket exhaust on a turbo can replicate GT3 at 6k+ rpm.

Bill

Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
hardracing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by richkaltman
I have an 08 turbo cab and an 07 GT3RS...I love them both! I use the turbo as my daily driver and the GT3 for weekends and track days. The GT3 has a much stiffer suspension and clutch. As far as sound goes they are both modded(turbo with cargraphic exhaust and GT3 with sharkwerks bypass) and they both sound great.

The GT3 is the better handling of the two...lighter, more downforce, and more aggresive tires make a big difference. I like the thrust of a turbo for every driving but when the GT3 is revving at 8k plus it is pretty intoxicating.

Same Here.
And what he said is very accurate.

Our RS is Full Track Car. (Roll Cage, RaceTech Seats, 6 Pt. Harness, Firebottle, Quick Release Steering Wheel, lowered, -3^ Camber, interier gutted...etc) And it's much faster on the same tracks we took our turbo on.

But, for everyday driver, you cannot beat the turbo. 500 Torque is like nothing else in a 3450lb car. And PCCB are sick.

It just comes down to what's more important to you. The ONLY Real advantage of the GT3, is better handling.

The Turbo give you a much better ride, MORE POWER, MORE TORQUE, AWD, (rain or snow it does happen), PSM, Heated seats....etc.

Last edited by hardracing; 10-05-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 930man
had the 996 gt3 996 tt, 997gt3 997 turbo, 2010 Gt3 and the 2009 TT

the Gt3 in the latest platform is a hands down better car more fun very crisp and responsive but easy cat to take on a trip. ... the things you dont get on gt3 rear seats and sunroof... People can no longer say the TT is a better DD the new 3 is fantastic every way
+1 on that....

Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I guess it depends on what you do with the car. I currently have a RufRTurbo and 9971.1 GT3RS, and have owned many 911 Turbos and GT3s in the past (see my sig list).

My modified RufRturbo is a much better track car than the GT3RS. Now, this is after a diet, Moton suspension and other suspension parts, and upgraded engine.

If you a good driver, than the extra horspower in a properly set-up turbo car is a plus. On the other hand, the GT3RS is a great daily driver (here in DC). And a straight-out-of-the factory TT is too heavy, soft and compliant for the track IMHO.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM
caltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to all
This is all you need to know....

Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
caltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to all
Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
kush is infamous around these parts
I traded in my self specced '07 TT for an '07 GT3 about 1 1/2 mos ago. Put about 13k on the TT with about 4 track days and about 1500 miles on GT3 with 2 track days (2 more this w/e coming up - can't wait).

The TT is a great car. I don't know about the 2010 GT3's, but as a DD, the two cars aren't even close. That doesn't mean that the GT3 can't be a DD, but the turbo, when not driven hard is downright tame. It's smoother, quieter, requires less shifting in passing situations, has a blast of power that the GT3 lacks, with a lighter clutch and longer throws. You can hear the radio (I even had satellite and ipod hookups) and cruise all day and night. A blast on a fast track, but a little soft and porky for a shorter track, but still fun and still fast.

As I began to enjoy the track more and more, I decided to try something new. Something a little less tame, and more track oriented. I did the swap without ever driving a GT3 and pretty much sight unseen (my salesman's a pretty straight forward guy).

When I drove away I was shocked at the differences. Maybe I shouldn't have been. It's loud (even a little resonance if driven at the low end of the rev range) and bumpy. The clutch felt like 100 lbs. The shifter was short and notchy. Although the tires stick like glue, they also turn wet pavement into ice. Thankfully I was prepared for this as it was raining at during my pickup.

My opinion? GT3 hands down. This is not a car I will remotely get tired of. The 100 lb. clutch is now 2 lbs. and the notchy gear shifter are some of my favorite things about the car. It sounds like a car of this breed should. The driving dynamics are a ton more fun. It's lighter, two wheel drive, NORMALLY ASPIRATED, and feels like it wants to carve turns all day. The linear power delivery is awesome, especially over 4 or 5k rpm. You never forget you're driving in this car, and you can't be lazy. Lack of PSM also keeps you on your toes as I found out in an off track excursion (only way to learn the limits - oh well).

Would I drive cross country in the GT3? Probably not. Many would though. I do drive it on a very regular basis though, so it is treated like a daily driver. I just wouldn't do significant journey's in it. The turbo? Easy as pie.

Both cars are/were bone stock. Many things like exhaust note, shifter, clutch etc, etc, can be altered in either car to your whatever your tastes.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by kush; 10-06-2009 at 12:45 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone own both GT3 and TT?