GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What do you see in your future GT3 crystal ball?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Flip will become famous soon enough
What do you see in your future GT3 crystal ball?

Porsche seems to stay the course of delivering incremental improvements. Beyond moving to DFI engine and software tweaks, do you see any major changes over the next 3 years? Any chance they'll slide the motor forward by using up that empty space behind the front seats? Seems they could keep the folks who love the shape happy and possibly improve balance/handling.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:11 PM
996flt6 is on a distinguished road
If they only could make the 911 midengine I would be totally for it granted I'm partial to the Gt1 motor. I think they come as far as they can with rear engine layout. It becomes a law of diminishing returns once u get past the 500hp+ bubble much like FWD can't go more then 300 hp wo some handling issues in track conditions. Mike

Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM
DavidNR is on a distinguished road
A 2010 in Carrara White in december. I'll stick with the rear engine thanks. Just keeps getting better and better!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I doubt it will be within 3 years but I figure they will go to a 4.0 engine or possibly a compact 8 cylinder which would be better suited to a mid-engine design. Also maybe an electronic valve actuator system to eliminate camshaft weight.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
A mid engine 911 is not a 911. The engine is there to stay.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Instead of changing the 911, leave it alone and just stop protecting it. Let the mid engine offerings evolve and eclipse it as they should.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 AM
ztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to behold
Im not sure but the incremental changes just cost them the Championship in FIA GT. They are making the race car like they should and incementing the street cars. Result. NOT HOMOLOGATION. Sales department is killing even the GT3's and the Motorsport divisions.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
They already made a midengine 911...and called it a cayman.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The Cayman will be a great car once it has 400+ HP. Now it's pretty gutless. I finally got to drive one this past weekend.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Im not sure but the incremental changes just cost them the Championship in FIA GT. They are making the race car like they should and incementing the street cars. Result. NOT HOMOLOGATION. Sales department is killing even the GT3's and the Motorsport divisions.
They seemed to have slowed down a bit in the ALMS as well, w/ BMW and Corvette taking a win each. Very surprising since this is their first year in GT2 (especially since Corvette joined recently).

The only thing I can see coming are lighter materials and maybe more aggressive suspension parts/geometry. Maybe a 4.0 L engine like their RSR.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
ztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jherbias
They seemed to have slowed down a bit in the ALMS as well, w/ BMW and Corvette taking a win each. Very surprising since this is their first year in GT2 (especially since Corvette joined recently).

The only thing I can see coming are lighter materials and maybe more aggressive suspension parts/geometry. Maybe a 4.0 L engine like their RSR.
Its all part of the same reason. Porsche was using sleeves in the cylinders to give extra strength to the 4.0l engine. Half way throught the season after DOMINATING all the series FIA went after porsche even though they passed all previous scrutineering. ACO had to follow suit and porsche was given a weight penalty. In FIA they were disqualifed from 2 races(why that makes sense I dont know, curiously brought the championship to a 1 point Ferrari lead). The second half of this season is killing Porsche.

All because they keep making the GT3 for latte sippers now. Sunroof included.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
I'm a "latte sipper"?? I have to admit I do enjoy my sunroof. And I know I am going to enjoy my SW 3.9 conversion!!