GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

I got a new rear wing... And it moves!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Wow, that is extremely cool...and you're helping to pioneer new stuff for the Porsche community at the same time. Bravo!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
suh-weeet!! That's really cool. Thanks for posting all the info! Would love to see more video when you have a chance to edit, any footage at slightly higher speeds than stop and go? Would love to see it work and adjust into and out of a corner.

Thanks again for posting!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Smindustries
INo, sir. My car is the only one equipped with it at present. The photos are a little misleading insofar as the wing does not extend to the entire width of the car. It's about an inch inboard of the rear quarter panels, so it would likely be flush with the quarter panels of a narrow-bodied car.

If there's someone with a GT3 in the DC metro area who wants to swap trunks to get an idea of how it would look on a narrow-bodied car, I'm game.
I thought that it might have a bit of over hang on the GT3 NB, thanks for getting back on this. I would like to see photo's if you find someone willing to swap.

Is there a site that has more info about these?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM
unique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud of
i want one.. where can they be purchased

Old 11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Thanks for the detail post and appreciate cool rear wing modification!

I think I saw a similar post some where before because I remember the video. In that post someone mentioned that movable wings are banned by all racing bodies and I was a bit discouraged. Well, I did some search and guess what, F1 racing body allow movable aerodynamic devices first time in 40 years as follow:

" The driver adjustable flaps are the first movable aerodynamic devices allowed in F1 for over 40 years. The idea is that the driver of a car in dirty air can raise his flaps to increase the angle of attack of the front wing and generate more downforce. When passing the driver lowers the flaps to cut drag to increase the odds of a successful manoeuvre. However the drivers may only alter the positions of these flaps twice per lap."

That said, I think the rear wing is still fixed and I can't imagine trying to move those front wings while traveling at 180+ mph.

back to your comment about rear wiggle under hard braking:

"Prior to the active wing, the rear would wiggle slightly under hard braking and the problem was exacerbated in the wet. It was never dangerous, but it was a but unnerving.

After the addition of active aero and while braking hard in the wet from speed, the wing helped stabilize the rear tremendously. It literally felt like a different car."

The wiggle is a function of our defective limited slip differential as I have outline in my LSD post. Prior to fixing the LSD, I would till my rear wing up at full attack to help stabilze the rear under hard braking on the track. It help minimize the wiggle but did not remove it completely until I fix the LSD.

I think this will be a nice addition to our GT3/RS but the cost is the major limiting factor. We are looking at the wing and it's mechanic plus electronic components which may cost $4-5K according to the manufacture website. Then you may need to get a replacement rear deck lid to house the hardware which I am sure won't be cheap either. Sacrificing the OEM deck lid maybe an option to save some money.

We all want to go fast on the track ..... but spending $5-7K plus to gain 1-2 seconds may be a stretch for most. Very interesting mod regardless

Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 PM
GTS-R is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikymu

We all want to go fast on the track ..... but spending $5-7K plus to gain 1-2 seconds may be a stretch for most. Very interesting mod regardless
Not disagreeing that $5-7K isn't substantial money. However, I don't think you can just equate what the wing does with lap times. I'd bet the confidence you'd get with improved rear downforce would make driving faster even more enjoyable and allow you to push the limits of the car with less hesitation.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
nice mod but as mentioned above, probably a very limited market for this

Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara
nice mod but as mentioned above, probably a very limited market for this
I bet the added rear grip would be a welcome addition on ZKERMIT or any of the other 3.9L beasts running about...

Old 11-24-2009, 11:23 PM
JDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to allJDMdoriffftoooo is a name known to all
Awesome! This is the project my good friend has been working on. Glad to see it has come together so well!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTS-R
Not disagreeing that $5-7K isn't substantial money. However, I don't think you can just equate what the wing does with lap times. I'd bet the confidence you'd get with improved rear downforce would make driving faster even more enjoyable and allow you to push the limits of the car with less hesitation.
Well ... with my rear wing fix tilt at a slightly more aggressive angle, I was able to plant the rear which translate to more confidence around the track. The only draw back is slight drag on a straight line sprint but not noticeable when I ran side by side with GT3 or TT. Automated rear wing makes sense but I wonder why all the racing rear wing are fixed? safety issue??

Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, very awesome, glad to see you took the plunge! It's a very promising technology and has very real advantages. I assume prices will come down as the technology becomes more widely available. Quick question, did you consider going with the Dynamic system or did you want to keep the single wing as it more closely resembles stock. Or did they tell you that based on the body shape of the GT3RS that the single blade would work better? For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is a video of the Dynamic system in use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7l70Q6P-vU

Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
just read the Dynamic RS wing/decklid/splitter teaser on the website! You are a very lucky man, I can't wait to see how that goes! The active Splitter has my curiousities more than just a little piqued! PLEASE keep us updated. Thanks again for being the "guinea pig" in what could eventually revolutionize the Porsche Track Junky industry. Hopefully some racing sanctioning bodies will allow it or maybe if it's extremely successful and proven, maybe Porsche themselves will license the product and once it's available as an option on a production car, it'd be very difficult for sanctioning bodies to ignore and ban it. It's very rare when ground is actually broken in this industry, so when it happens, it should really be supported and encouraged. One good thing is, I really don't see this as being too expensive and complicated to filter down to an "affordable" range as it becomes more pupular. Cheers to Technology and those who dare to experiment with it!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Smind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud of
Thank you for the comments, gentlemen. I'll address them out of order as some of the questions and thoughts overlap:

Thanks for the detail post and appreciate cool rear wing modification!

I think I saw a similar post some where before because I remember the video. In that post someone mentioned that movable wings are banned by all racing bodies and I was a bit discouraged. Well, I did some search and guess what, F1 racing body allow movable aerodynamic devices first time in 40 years as follow:
Automated rear wing makes sense but I wonder why all the racing rear wing are fixed? safety issue??
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Hopefully some racing sanctioning bodies will allow it or maybe if it's extremely successful and proven... it'd be very difficult for sanctioning bodies to ignore and ban it.
Not only is F1 is allowing active aero next year, it's currently legal in the US in the Time Attack series. In Time Attack, there are some big players using it, such as AMS, Crawford Performance and Fontana Nissan. It's also legal elsewhere in the world and is being used with great success. When Chaparral introduced the technology, it was so effective that it was immediately banned: It works that well.

With respect to F1, the rear wings aren't active, per se, but they do move. The devices are 'aerolastic', meaning they change shape as speed increases. This is done by nearly every team and the stewards turn a blind eye to it. If you look at rear-facing footage, you can see the rear wings flex, effectively changing their shape and, thus, AoA. Ferrari's new 458 Italia uses aerolastic splitters in the front air intakes:

Altering the rear wing's AoA is also done in other series by a different means. If you look at some cars that have wing risers (or 'uprights') that are canted rearward and watch them in a race, you'll often see the wing is at a high AoA when the car is stationary or going through slow corners. As the vehicle's speed increases, more force is put on the wing. The force turns the wing and uprights into a lever, which will pull on and deform the composite surface the wing is affixed to. This allows the wing to lay down and decrease the AoA on straights.

Bear in mind that two seconds is with a pro driver who can turn laps times lower than amateur drivers consistently all day long. Two seconds for a pro is a big deal. For example, an hour-long race running two-minute laps is thirty laps. Shaving two seconds off each of those means the margin of victory over someone running two minute laps is a minute. Finishing the race a minute sooner means that the second-place finisher is a half-lap down.

Originally Posted by GTS-R
I don't think you can just equate what the wing does with lap times. I'd bet the confidence you'd get with improved rear downforce would make driving faster even more enjoyable and allow you to push the limits of the car with less hesitation.
This is exactly why it's such a good device for the average driver or track-day junky. The car simply feels more planted and inspires much more confidence. The car is more capable and allows the driver to feel the same way. Again, even a pro driver said he felt more confident and was able to extract more from the car.

Well ... with my rear wing fix tilt at a slightly more aggressive angle, I was able to plant the rear which translate to more confidence around the track. The only draw back is slight drag on a straight line sprint but not noticeable when I ran side by side with GT3 or TT.
The speed differential on straights is not noticeable to you now, but if you were able to pull another 10 MPH, your position may change as you walk away from them.

Quick question, did you consider going with the Dynamic system or did you want to keep the single wing as it more closely resembles stock. Or did they tell you that based on the body shape of the GT3RS that the single blade would work better?
I wanted the split wing, but modeling showed that there is no advantage to it on a 911. The car's aerodynamic properties are such that it can use as much wing as is thrown at it, so dropping the outboard half to reduce drag doesn't make the car go faster.

[M]aybe Porsche themselves will license the product and once it's available as an option on a production car.
Porsche is already on their way with the Panamera. The rear wing on that car changes its AoA based upon speed alone. It doesn't change with lateral acceleration, but perhaps that's the next step for Porsche.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
very cool, and different

Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Cory M is on a distinguished road
If you are looking to maximize downforce why keep the wing in the original location? Wouldn't it be more effective if the wing were mounted higher and further back like on the cup cars and RSRs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got a new rear wing... And it moves!