GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

I got a new rear wing... And it moves!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
thank you for posting and for your thoughtful repsonses to the subsuquent questions.

this is really something... I think it is awesome is R&D and in real world function.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 PM
M275 is on a distinguished road
Very neat!

Would you happen to know if the Dynamic R2 (2-piece) wing will be available?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:08 PM
StockToPerforma is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting. Very informative - I'll be following this thread intently.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 AM
T.K
T.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant future
Incredible!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I would also be interested if a 2-piece (Dynamic R2) wing is being developed for the 911. It seems that it would help cornering with our tail happy cars, but I do not understand the physics well enough to know what the actual effect would be. The 2-piece wing in the GTR video looks impressive, but I do not know the extent of improving downforce during cornering.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Slick //M will become famous soon enoughSlick //M will become famous soon enough
great post, thx for info

Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
GTS-R is on a distinguished road
I checked this wing out in person this afternoon and looks very well made. With the 65 inch blade, the car looks more aggressive. I tested the car out on some back roads, and granted I did not hit speeds to make the active aero perceptible, just watching the wing change angles during acceleration and decceleration was quite impressive. I have no doubts, this will help in a track environment.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
That is awesome, period. And the 2-piece is a very nice piece as well.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
Congrats, Greg and the gang knows what they're doing. The amount of data they have on that GTR was insane. I'm sure they did just as much work on yours.

I was wondering when the GT3 they're working on will show up on the forums. As usual, a great job.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 PM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
Here is that GTR with their wing.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:33 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Smindustries

Not only is F1 is allowing active aero next year, it's currently legal in the US in the Time Attack series. In Time Attack, there are some big players using it, such as AMS, Crawford Performance and Fontana Nissan. It's also legal elsewhere in the world and is being used with great success. When Chaparral introduced the technology, it was so effective that it was immediately banned: It works that well.

With respect to F1, the rear wings aren't active, per se, but they do move. The devices are 'aerolastic', meaning they change shape as speed increases. This is done by nearly every team and the stewards turn a blind eye to it. If you look at rear-facing footage, you can see the rear wings flex, effectively changing their shape and, thus, AoA. Ferrari's new 458 Italia uses aerolastic splitters in the front air intakes:

Altering the rear wing's AoA is also done in other series by a different means. If you look at some cars that have wing risers (or 'uprights') that are canted rearward and watch them in a race, you'll often see the wing is at a high AoA when the car is stationary or going through slow corners. As the vehicle's speed increases, more force is put on the wing. The force turns the wing and uprights into a lever, which will pull on and deform the composite surface the wing is affixed to. This allows the wing to lay down and decrease the AoA on straights.

Bear in mind that two seconds is with a pro driver who can turn laps times lower than amateur drivers consistently all day long. Two seconds for a pro is a big deal. For example, an hour-long race running two-minute laps is thirty laps. Shaving two seconds off each of those means the margin of victory over someone running two minute laps is a minute. Finishing the race a minute sooner means that the second-place finisher is a half-lap down.

The speed differential on straights is not noticeable to you now, but if you were able to pull another 10 MPH, your position may change as you walk away from them.
Very interesting information Smindustries esp on the F1's "flexible rear wing design

Going back to my question, I just don't know why most racing body do not sanction active aero - safety vs effort to standardize the field.

I really like how the 65" blade look on your car. Reminded me of the RSR .... you need to get rid of that ugly US rear bumper with the unsightly bumperettes and get an Euro rear bumper to complete the package

I may get their fix rear wing for My M3 next year to help provide better down force in the back for track

Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Ritesh will become famous soon enough
WOW - that is just incredible!

The active aero, 5 pt harnesses and R-compounds and anybody can dream that they are Walter Rohl!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
It's been way too long since anything has been said about this wing. Did you guys ever test out the Split wing design on the RS? I still think this is seriously one of the coolest upgrades available, but nobody seems to use them. I know it's expensive, but then again so are the techart and gemballa body kits out there and plenty of people are using them. Maybe it's just about getting word out. Love to hear any updates.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Looked through this thread. Very interesting piece especially the split wing design.
One thing I believe has not been mentioned is the front splitter / air dam.
With greater rear down force something has to be done about the nose.
On my GT3 with the OEM RS wing after changing the angle of attack to a more aggressive position the nose got real squirlly, light and wandered at about 120. It felt very unsettling. It was certainly not planted.
Just a thought for the experts.

Ranger

Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Ranger, good point about having to do something about the front end. If I remember correctly, I think he may have posted in another thread that they were also working on something for the front to address that. I'd love to hear back and see if they ever really got out of it, it's full potential. But also, one of the great things about this wing, at higher speeds the angle of attack on the wing isn't going to be very steep since at those speeds slip is more important than downforce (obviously to an extent or you'd be taking flight lol) which may negate the problem of having too much downforce at the rear at high speeds and not enough and make it a bit more balanced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got a new rear wing... And it moves!