GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Would you upgrade Speaker/Stereo for GT3 MK2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM
GT34LES is on a distinguished road
Would you upgrade Speaker/Stereo for GT3 MK2

This maybe a repeat topic, but i'm going to start this is again. I have noticed that the GT3 stock speaker and stereo system is not the greatest. And with the SharkWerks Bypass exhaust recently installed on my car listening to music has become even nearly impossible (especially after 4000 RPM ).

I expect that there will be mixed answers with this between the true race enthusiasts vs. the guys who just like to mod cars. I am definitely split on this issue. I love the engine/exhaust sounds and I do at times turn off the stock system just to here the engine. But I also love listening to music at fast speeds. It would be nice to have that option.

If any of you would consider upgrading what set-up would you put? Would you just upgrade the speakers? Would you replace the in-dash receiver? Would you go with a full system? Ect...

And for the true enthusiasts...I know...leave the car as is (why mess with perfection

Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 PM
L8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to allL8braker is a name known to all
You have to start with the in-dash as Junk in = Junk Out.....then upgrade your speakers and get them amplified.

Personally I wouldn't do it as it won't ever down out the engine/road noise enough to be truly enjoyed. Just enjoy the engine note!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Md11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really nice
Do you presently have rear speakers in your GT3? I have an 07 RS, this car did not have rear speakers and the sound was horrible! I bought 2 stock rear speakers had wires run to the control center and the sound improved 3 fold. I have a 100k sound system at home and enjoy music to the highest degree but in the RS the sound with the rear speakers is now good enough for me. Each rear speaker weighs 8 ounces

Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
I always listen to music when I am driving except when on the track. But even for my long drives to and from the track I am pretty much accepting of the sound quality of the standard system...

Realistically, the GT3 is not a Lexus or Merc... and so you will never have a great environment to listen to music perfectly.... I have the music more to keep me awake on the long drives and pump me up on the short drives. And for that sound quality isn't so important to me.

Having said that, I have returned my entire exhaust system to stock so that the car is quieter....

Old 12-19-2009, 09:39 AM
sjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to all
If your car is a daly driver then maybe do it, I have never turn my radio on in two years. The quality is awful even with the bose upgrades. After market from a trusted shop would produced the best results.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sjgreco
If your car is a daly driver then maybe do it, I have never turn my radio on in two years. The quality is awful even with the bose upgrades. After market from a trusted shop would produced the best results.
My system is actually pretty alright as far as I can tell.... sure it aint audiophile level, but very, very satisfactory and mine is the stock standard base level system.... and my RS is rest of world spec with the plastic rear window....

THink I need my ears checked.... hmmmm.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
I didnt even know my Gt3 Had a stereo.. The only music i hear comes from the Sharkwerks Exhaust System.. HA

Mike

Old 12-19-2009, 11:35 AM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
To get anything approaching high fidelity in a GT3, that you can hear, you would have to have a system that produces so much power and volume, listening to it at speed would be dangerous. My advice, rush home and enjoy the home system. If you want to spend the money, it's possible, but you would need to replace everything.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
The only upgrade you need is a Sharkwerks by-pass. No reason to listen to anything else!!

Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 PM
timothy is on a distinguished road
Don't even bother with upgrading the sound system. I didn't order any of the Audio and Communication stuff for my car. The Sound Package Plus is a light sound upgrade for the GT3s, it is no Bose which is available on all other 911s including the GT2.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 AM
evolution_gt3 is on a distinguished road
i struggled with the same question, and given mine is a 6-3, my stereo is just as bad or worse than those in the 7-3's.

maybe it's my ears, but i found turning the fader about 3 notches towards the rear speakers actually made my stereo sound better/louder (then adjust volume to taste)... like the sound seemed more evenly distributed throughout the interior as opposed to just "coming out of the top of the dash". not sure how this might work in the 7-3's.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:09 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
I would talk with a quality stereo shop. I have heard that the 3's stereo can be easily modded because it is analog; not digital like the Bose. I believe you can add another amp for a little more depth and maybe improve some of the speakers. I think the amp will improve the sound a fair amount which may be enough to please you.

I assume you have the Sound Package Plus? Believe it or not SPP is quite an improvement over the base GT3 stereo (The speakers are decent and much better than stock). No it's not a top notch stereo, but neither is the bose in the Carreras or turbo.

So, if you don't have SSP, I'd start there. Check out Suncoast Porsche; board sponsor and very helpful.

Last edited by 911dev; 12-20-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:26 AM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
If you like music like I do and need to have it within reach at all times then I would definitely upgrade the sound system. While I don't think you can achieve amazing results due to the placement of the speaker system and the design of the car. I do think that quality components properly setup would make a world of difference.

Alpine has a digital line of amps that may interface with the stock deck. I'd call Pacific Stereo in Fremont and ask. I have haven't been there in years so I don't know who the best are out there anymore.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
I installed my new stereo on Friday night.....thanks Sharkwerks

Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Izzone
I installed my new stereo on Friday night.....thanks Sharkwerks
Sounds like this GT3 forum section needs a new sponsor. It sounds like the Sharkwerks forum to me. . Keep up the good work SW.

Last edited by Glock Guru; 12-20-2009 at 08:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you upgrade Speaker/Stereo for GT3 MK2