GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Anyone do this? MY 2010/2011 GT3 CENTERLOCK conversion on MY 2007/2008 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
UPDATE!!! - We just received a set, let me sort out the details. Pricing appears to be better than I originally thought. I'll have more info shortly.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
SUNCOAST,

is this the RS spyder CENTERLOCK wheel that will be available for TURBO and GT3 RS if conversion is done on MY 07/08?

P.S. - of course not the same CENTERLOCK set-up as CUP cars.

Attached Images     

Last edited by jbigelow_1; 03-11-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute

That's it, we just added it to our website. We expected the conversion kit to be about $20-25k. Looks like the complete package is a fraction of what we expected. See the site for details, click HERE. Honestly, we were shocked at the pricing.

This should fit any 997 Turbo, 2006-2010.

Last edited by SuncoastParts; 03-11-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
10GT3 will become famous soon enough10GT3 will become famous soon enough
according to porsche, the center lock system weighs less than the conventional five lug set up. i remember this from my homework on the gt3.2. i do not remember the exact weight savings though. (my memory could be faulty though, since it has been over eight months since i took delivery)

Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 AM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
Not too bad price SUNCOAST!!!!

So this would fit 2007/08 GT3 also if someone wanted to pursue centerlock and use GT3 centerlock wheels?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
From what I know.......this is only for Turbo's. I'm not aware of a GT3 version.

We just corrected the pricing, and just added the retro-fit kit for Ceramic cars.

Last edited by SuncoastParts; 03-11-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jbigelow_1
Not too bad price SUNCOAST!!!!

So this would fit 2007/08 GT3 also if someone wanted to pursue centerlock and use GT3 centerlock wheels?
For $8k+, plus installation and other thing you'll probably want to do to your car later, I think you'll be better off selling your car and buying a 2010 GT3...

Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
why would you do this?

unless you are professionally racing, and even then, if you have the budget get a 2010 RS.

for tracking, i don't think there is any advantage to this, as i am not in a hurry to chance wheels when im at the track.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
I can't speak for the Porsche factory, but we put a lot of engineering into making lightweight wheels in both Centerlock and five lug. WE were unable to make the centerlock wheels as light as the five lug, with the same load rating.

Technically, the GT3 has a lower TUV load requirement than the Turbo. So you may be able to make a GT3-specific wheel that is lighter than a Turbo wheel.
But then you couldn't use it on a converted Turbo.

The factory 19x8.5 centerlocks weigh about 23.5 lbs (this from memory). This is nearly identical to the 5-lug OE wheels. So the selling point for lower mass is a bit of a stretch. The centerlocks MAY have a slightly better "moment of inertia" than the 5-lug, but now we're talking some serious scientific measurement.

So, instead of $10,000 minimum for a conversion, you can get some lightweight forged 5-lug wheels for half the price, save 30 lbs of unsprung weight and not have to worry if you get a flat tire.

I confess that the Centerlocks do look cool, but there is nothing to be gained in reduced mass by doing the conversion.

Last edited by Tech1_Mike; 03-11-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
The wheels account for most of the weight reduction, they should be lighter than the stock wheels. Not sure about the center locking system, but they may reduce the weight slightly too. If I can find more technical details, I will pass it along.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by suncoastric
The wheels account for most of the weight reduction, they should be lighter than the stock wheels. Not sure about the center locking system, but they may reduce the weight slightly too. If I can find more technical details, I will pass it along.
This is a head-scratcher. Weigh the wheels yourself. The Porsche OE Centerlocks are nearly exactly the same weight as the 5-lug wheels. To be exact, the 19x8.5 GT3 centerlocks weigh 23.55 lbs and the Turbo wheels weigh 23.85 lbs.
So where is the weight savings?

Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
Not looking for a bickering-contest. Porsche designed this kit for a reason, it's not just for show. I'm not an engineer, but it has to do with rotational mass. Like an ice skater...bringing their arms closer to spin faster. The difference is from the hubs-outward. You're replacing five lug nuts and hub-hardware with a centrally located (hollow) aluminum center lock. The vehicles actual weight may not change much, but there would be an improvement in the vehicles handling.

Just found this on Porsche's site, this explains the center locking wheel system which originated on the GT3:

"The new 911 GT3 runs on onepiece, titanium-colored, 19-inch GT3 wheels. Taken directly from motorsport is the new central locking device with GT3 logo. The advantages over a conventional five-hole screwed fitting include better driving dynamics and performance thanks to fewer rotating masses and, of course, faster wheel changes. A huge advantage – especially when racing. "

Old 03-11-2010, 06:10 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
It saves weight at the hubs. 5 lbs per corner.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
It saves weight at the hubs. 5 lbs per corner.
Thanks for the information. I always suspect that the key weight saving is more at the hub than at the wheel.

Regards,

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
GT1
I may be a bit off, but I do know that:

The 997.2 red brakes are 2.4 kg lighter than the 997.1 red brakes despite being uprated. The was mainly down to the aluminium centre hubs.

The 997.2 yellow brakes are 4.8kg lighter than the 997.1 yellow brakes despite being uprated. The was also mainly down to the aluminium centre hubs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone do this? MY 2010/2011 GT3 CENTERLOCK conversion on MY 2007/2008 GT3