GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Anyone do this? MY 2010/2011 GT3 CENTERLOCK conversion on MY 2007/2008 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
Anyone do this? MY 2010/2011 GT3 CENTERLOCK conversion on MY 2007/2008 GT3

Just like question states. Has anyone done the model year 2010/2011 Centerlock conversion to a model year 2007/2008 GT3 or even cup car CENTERLOCK?

Anything is doable but is it too much parts and labor to do?

GMG, Sharkwerks, or anyone else care to chime in?

TIA,
John

Last edited by jbigelow_1; 03-10-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
why? for the cool factor ? lol

Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you need to talk to someone that has them and does their own work...when you find out what a PITA they are to remove and torque properly and the expensive tools required, plus the risk if you don't get it right, you might change your mind

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
One additional downside is the center-locks add unsprung weight. They are very pretty though and it might be difficult for me to spec a car without them.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
I don't see why someone would want to do this.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
thanx for the replies and opinions....

just looking into it because when i finally find the right RS, i just like the look of some of the centerlocks becoming available for the MY 10/11 GT3/RS.
such as the GMG WC-GT wheel and the suppose to be new BBS centerlock single and multipiece.

didnt know it was that much of a hassle to remove or torque them on the MY 2010/2011 GT3 CENTERLOCK wheels.... and special tools, etc....

changing to the 997 cup car centerlocks would probably be an advantage if the car was tracked....

but just wanted to know costs and see if anyone has done it.... thats all.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jbigelow_1
thanx for the replies and opinions....

just looking into it because when i finally find the right RS, i just like the look of some of the centerlocks becoming available for the MY 10/11 GT3/RS.
such as the GMG WC-GT wheel and the suppose to be new BBS centerlock single and multipiece.

didnt know it was that much of a hassle to remove or torque them on the MY 2010/2011 GT3 CENTERLOCK wheels.... and special tools, etc....

changing to the 997 cup car centerlocks would probably be an advantage if the car was tracked....

but just wanted to know costs and see if anyone has done it.... thats all.
I think Suncoast was going to sell a conversion kit.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned
BRracing is on a distinguished road
I can help you out with this if you would like...
In order to do this the pieces that you would have to replace are the uprights, brakes, bearing assembly, hub, and I think I am missing some small stuff. The reason that we know this is that when we took our PCCB's off our 2010 GT3 there were a thousand inquiries from Turbo customers that owned 997.1 cars. We had to spec out what needed to be done to do the centerlock conversion for the brakes to adapt seeing that they use different mounting points and uprights.
If there are any further questions please let me know.
Happy to help.
Thanks

Robb
BRracing

Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned
BRracing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sparkhill
One additional downside is the center-locks add unsprung weight. They are very pretty though and it might be difficult for me to spec a car without them.
Just curious, where did you get this information? have you done a side by side comparison of the assemblies and their weight?

In doing our 2010 GT3 with centerlocks I can say that we are actually lower than a 5 lug assembly, if we were still running our stock PCCB's, but since we are running the Stoptech STR-60 we are actually around 5lbs higher.
Thanks

Robb

Old 03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
I have not weighed them but I was going based on the fact the center-lock wheels are slightly heavier (Tech1) compared to the same design for the 5 lug wheels and the center-lock TT mount is basically added to the to the five lug mount. See also post #7 and #17.

That said, I have not taken apart the assemblies and I have not weighed them, so if you have information to the contrary I will humbly stand corrected. I did assume that the TT and GT3 center-locks were the same and that may be a faulty assumption on my part.

Regardless, there in an undeniable wow-factor with the center-locks.

Last edited by sparkhill; 03-10-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I think the 997.2 GT3 center lock wheel is designed as a 'real' single lug wheel, not an add-on to a conventional five lugs design.

It may or may not be lighter than an equivalent five lugs wheel; yet the center lock makes its weight closer to the center, thus reduces the rotating masses (at least on paper per Porsche...)

Regards,

Old 03-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I could be wrong but doesn't Porsche sell the conversion kit?

Ranger

Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
I could be wrong but doesn't Porsche sell the conversion kit?

Ranger
They do, coupled with the RS spyder wheel package. Would be expensive to get the RS Spyder wheel pack and then just swap the wheels out.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
A conversion kit is coming, we have some on order. It comes with new rotors and the suspension pieces to complete the conversion. And RS Spyder wheel and tire packages are also coming. Not sure of the exact pricing just yet, it won't be cheap though. This set will fit any 997 Turbo (2006-2010). If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll give you an update when possible.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by suncoastric
Not sure of the exact pricing just yet, it won't be cheap though. This set will fit any 997 Turbo (2006-2010). If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll give you an update when possible.
funny...is anything for these cars cheap?

I assume you also mean that this will work on a 2007/08 GT3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone do this? MY 2010/2011 GT3 CENTERLOCK conversion on MY 2007/2008 GT3