GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2
View Poll Results: Why did you buy a GT3 or RS
I bought the car just to tell people I have a GT3
3.64%
I bought the car because its the top of the line model to impress people
3.64%
I bought the car because I respect its performance, but dont use it for whats its made for
20.00%
I bought the car to use on the track!!! with street use as 2nd priority!
72.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

How many people here actually track there GT3 or RS a lot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Mercedes Benz will become famous soon enoughMercedes Benz will become famous soon enough
How many people here actually track there GT3 or RS a lot?

I see so many posts here about people talking about how good the GT3 is on the track, or I did this to lighten up the car because its faster, or the best one is, the GT3 is a joke since it has a sunroof, like anyone can actually feel its there. I am a hardcore track guy, I owned many sports cars, including a 997 GT3 and plan to get another GT3 or RS soon, but I would like to know how many of you REALLY even use this car for what it is for? I dont mean an autocross or a track even maybe 1 or 2 times a year. How many of you SERIOUSLY use the car for what it is intended to do? I track my car maybe 2-3 times month as long as there is an event and drive the crap out of it. But how many other people buy a GT3 or an RS for what makes it so much better then a regular 997 Carrera or Carrera S.

I am including a poll here, I am making this thread just out of curiosity.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 AM
Hanjob is infamous around these parts
I don't understand that if you can afford a GT3 then you could also afford a track day or two

Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 AM
ooberge is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

i bought my car GT3RS for track use only,i do about 15 events a year 30 to 40 track days , i have 10k miles track only, i don t use for my daily drive .

Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
I don't do a lot of track activity compared to you, maybe 6-8 events a year. But, I would not own the car if I did no track events. IMO a 997S is a better overall street car. I did not participate in the poll, since there is not a choice that fits what is probably the largest segment of GT3 owners. We enjoy track events, but in terms of overall driving time, street use is still primary, with track events important, but secondary.

Last edited by elh0102; 03-31-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
ooberge is on a distinguished road
that what i was doing when i had my 997 cabriolet comfortable cruising car, till i started tracking it then i bought a GT3 and actually i got my GT3RS

Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
fun2k is on a distinguished road
I bought the car solely for street use.i didnt like the shape at first not a big fan of the huge whale tail.i dont think people buy gt3 to showoff,they can easily buy a used gt2,lambo,ferrari or r8 for the similar money.

i bought it for the handling,compactness,racing engine and the noise(surpringly its also comfortable).

everything surpassed my expectations except for the hanlding bit,to me it dosnt feel as tight as i imagined so im taking it to a proper alignment shop.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
pfan12000 will become famous soon enoughpfan12000 will become famous soon enough
I think from the poll here that most posters here will not admit that they bought the car for posing purposes only. I used older (1988 3.2 carrera) 911's for track in the past and now am tired of being the back markers among all the modern cars used at the tracks. So in view that I'm never going to get younger and better at driving might as well go for the best tool there is to enjoy the experience of driving on the track while my eyesight and reflexes are still adequate for the sport.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 AM
rwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to behold
I also do 6-10 track days a year (first date with GT3 MII will be May at Sebring). I'm not sure I qualify as "hardcore".

If I didn't do track stuff, I'd probably still drive the GT3. It's an awesome machine and I've had Defender 90's and Hummer H1's as daily drivers. It's all about the expectations. If you expect any of these vehicles to ride like a Cadillac, you'll be disappointed. If you expect them to ride like the purpose built machines they are, you WON'T be disappointed.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM
kush is on a distinguished road
Bit of a loaded poll:
1) I'm a poser
2) I'm a poser
3) Cool car and I understand what it can do, but I'm still a poser
4) They should require an interview to make sure we're the only one's allowed to buy the car.

But to join in on the fun, I track as much as I can given I've got a 2,4, and 6 year old at home. I think those that criticize the car are looking for their ideal, regardless of whether they track it. Just making some conversation some times as well.

I don't think there is any doubt that the percentage of GT3/RS owners who track their car is much greater than that for similarly purpose built cars. Go to a PCA event. The number of GT3s there relative to their production numbers is astonishing.

Lastly, one of the great things about this car is that it is so usable on the street. So whether you're a weekend warrior (like probably most of us; just guessing) or a "hardcore track guy," it fits both purposes quite well.

Welcome back to the fold. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Mercedes Benz will become famous soon enoughMercedes Benz will become famous soon enough
Good responses guys, again, I made this thread out of curiosity.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
nice poll lol

Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
If your a hardcore track guy, you could just buy a cup car. If you just love everything about the gt3 and plan on tracking it 6 times a year, its still going to make a fun (poser) street car.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I track mine as much as wallet/family/schedule allow (maybe 15-20 times last year)

however - gt3s are drivers street cars and an enthusiast who does not track a gt3 is not necessarily a poser in my book... I know a few ex racers with gt3s that simply have the philosophy that they will never track a street car... I get it.

that being said, if I did not track mine, I would not own it.

I pose in my F150 :-)

Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz
I see so many posts here about people talking about how good the GT3 is on the track, or I did this to lighten up the car because its faster, or the best one is, the GT3 is a joke since it has a sunroof, like anyone can actually feel its there. I am a hardcore track guy, I owned many sports cars, including a 997 GT3 and plan to get another GT3 or RS soon, but I would like to know how many of you REALLY even use this car for what it is for? I dont mean an autocross or a track even maybe 1 or 2 times a year. How many of you SERIOUSLY use the car for what it is intended to do? I track my car maybe 2-3 times month as long as there is an event and drive the crap out of it. But how many other people buy a GT3 or an RS for what makes it so much better then a regular 997 Carrera or Carrera S.

I am including a poll here, I am making this thread just out of curiosity.
on average 35 track days a year.
5000 track miles per year roughly.
9 sets of hoosiers in 2008
i buy rotors, pads, tires in bulk.
sometimes i get calls from local tuner shops when their source are out of stock

that said, GT3 can be enjoyed on the street as well.

i would love to have a cup car at some point.... as soon as my wife disappears heehee....

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by mooty
on average 35 track days a year.
5000 track miles per year roughly.
9 sets of hoosiers in 2008
i buy rotors, pads, tires in bulk.
sometimes i get calls from local tuner shops when their source are out of stock

that said, GT3 can be enjoyed on the street as well.

i would love to have a cup car at some point.... as soon as my wife disappears heehee....
nice! your rep just went up!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many people here actually track there GT3 or RS a lot?