GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

.1 GT3RS vs .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore

So, when I missed out on the green 997.1 I happened to stumble upon a 997.2 GT3RS miraculously priced in my budget striking range. Although the car had very high mileage on it (relative to all its peers) I immediately knew it would be worth my time and effort to at least investigate it. I knew that a 997.2 GT3RS would effectively solve all my problems at once, but figured it was an epic long shot as well.

Over the course of 2 (ish) months, I had the car inspected and appraised, pored over the service records, requested multiple photographs of very specific items such as the PCCBs, and pondered whether I was crazy or not for pursuing it. Long story short, this is the car I ended up buying and I literally couldn't be any happier with it. It was a 1 owner car that was driven daily (because he could) and thus was a fairly exceptional case. I was definitely lucky to find a very fair seller who went above and beyond to put my mind at ease when buying such an expensive car.

Knowing what I know now, I'm an even bigger fan of the 997.2 model, but I'd say that getting your hands on an RS model is a better play overall, regardless of 997.1 versus 997.2. The RS is rarer, more desirable, holds its value better, and is the purest 911 experience of them all. I've read a quote that said something like "if you blindfolded someone used to 70s/80s era 911s and put them into into the seat of a 997 era GT3, they would just think it was a newer version of the same 'normal' 911". Meaning, 911s have become MUCH softer over the years, and for those who prize a pure driving experience, the GT3 (RS or not) is the obvious choice. I can tell you that the only thing which really makes my RS harder to drive normally are the seats (I have the carbon sport buckets).

The really good news (for any buyer) is that, RS model or not, you're going to get one hell of a great car!
I was |-| close to buying that car... very happy with my .1RS I ended up with and glad that car has worked out well for you! That car was just about the perfect color/spec!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
spyerx,

Thanks again for your personal insights about the RS I ended up buying. I'm obviously quite glad it worked out for both of us with our respective cars!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:10 PM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Originally Posted by gtr
I too went 997.1 GT3RS because I could not get a 997.2 GT3RS last year. I feel if I purchased a 997.2 GT3, I would constantly think about how I should have bought the 997.2 GT3RS. It's not really about the performance but more about the collector's value and being the top model at that time periord for me.

For example i purchased my 2009 wrx for the winter but upgraded to the STi Special edition this year because it's rare and i cannot help myself. I know if i get the 997.2 I will be trading it in for the RS shortly after. Now i have the RS i may get an entirely different car all together instead of the 997.2 RS. I guess i'm probably not making any sense but I guess my advice is to follow your heart.
Agree. Best car for its period and if u know history the .1rs colors and badging are historic and this car was highly anticipated. IMO makes it collectible. That being said my kids and grand kids can figure that out as all of th statements here are speculative. Minus the factual differences on specs.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:06 PM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
again and again

This topic comes up about every 90 days it seems. Funny thing is when I traded my 996 Twin Turbo for a .1RS i thought I got a fair price. Been about a year now since that move and I think I could still sell my RS for the same price I paid for it. Not sure I could say that if I went with a .2GT3. Which was where I was looking. Love the .1RS and actually like the looks of it over the .2RS. To each there own. Wish I had the 3.8 but I guess I can be honest and admit I haven't really felt that I am missing any power with the 3.6. Perhaps I will get there with a 100 more laps at VIR.. But for now I am satisfied.. For me the sunroof delete and wide rear were the primary factors.

Also, Not sure what that other fella was talking about calling .1RS's future "Red Headed Step Child". Just not enough of them made to ever have that happen. No official numbers but I know there were not many White 2007 "Non-CUP" cars delivered to the US. My proof was a 6 month search... Hard to find.. Buy what you like and don't worry about what is best. 100 opinions either way. They all are fantastic cars.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by aircavscout
This topic comes up about every 90 days it seems. Funny thing is when I traded my 996 Twin Turbo for a .1RS i thought I got a fair price. Been about a year now since that move and I think I could still sell my RS for the same price I paid for it. Not sure I could say that if I went with a .2GT3. Which was where I was looking. Love the .1RS and actually like the looks of it over the .2RS. To each there own. Wish I had the 3.8 but I guess I can be honest and admit I haven't really felt that I am missing any power with the 3.6. Perhaps I will get there with a 100 more laps at VIR.. But for now I am satisfied.. For me the sunroof delete and wide rear were the primary factors.

Also, Not sure what that other fella was talking about calling .1RS's future "Red Headed Step Child". Just not enough of them made to ever have that happen. No official numbers but I know there were not many White 2007 "Non-CUP" cars delivered to the US. My proof was a 6 month search... Hard to find.. Buy what you like and don't worry about what is best. 100 opinions either way. They all are fantastic cars.
Your car sounds great in white. Please post some pics.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:55 AM
JackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud of
Had the budget allowed, a silver, orange or white 997.1RS would be in my garage now and probably forever.

The .2 does have some advantages that don't interest me since I'm not a track guy. I believe the .1 RS is a great value, especially at the current crazy market for the .2 cars.