GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

.1 GT3RS vs .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Salespunk is on a distinguished road
.1 GT3RS vs .2 GT3

Before anyone says anything, yes I searched.

Both are in the same price range. I am starting to look around and torn between these two options. The RS is going to be more rare in the long run and if I go for an RS I will probably keep it a long time. While the .2 GT3 may be a better car, it is not quite as special.

Hopefully some of you have owned both and can shed some light on this dilemma. I have driven the .1, but not the .2 yet.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:14 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Salespunk
Before anyone says anything, yes I searched.

Both are in the same price range. I am starting to look around and torn between these two options. The RS is going to be more rare in the long run and if I go for an RS I will probably keep it a long time. While the .2 GT3 may be a better car, it is not quite as special.

Hopefully some of you have owned both and can shed some light on this dilemma. I have driven the .1, but not the .2 yet.
seems like less depreciation on the RS, maybe...also i think if your only using it as a 2nd or 3rd car and mainly for tracking the RS is the way to go.

but win win either way!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
With all the new changes the new mk2 GT3/RS have over the previous ones, and the fact that new mk2 GT3 out performs the previous RS, I don't really see the previous mk1 RS so special anymore. Sure the colors, widebody, and no sunroof, when compared to mk1 GT3, but the new mk2 RS will be the most desired RS in the future; mainly because of the 3.8 GT1 motor, DEM, better seat and suspension, and more cosmetic changes setting it apart from the new non RS GT3, than the previous gen...
I think the mk1 RS will become the red headed stepchild. It will still be somewhat special, but not as special....

Last edited by GT1; 04-28-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:27 PM
pcarfever is on a distinguished road
Anyone else have comments? I am in the same boat as the OP.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
same dilemma for me a month ago... I went .1RS
for sure the .2 GT3 is a "better" car... but I feel the RS is special in a way the "base gt3" of any era will not be.
I do not believe it will be the red headed step child... at least at my house it wont be.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Jerzy Poland will become famous soon enough
I would go for .2 gt3 in such case. Simply a better performing car. And you have that little touch of safety having the SC/TC available for pbulic road driving. Not sure if you need it but also front axle lifting system could be a good thing, too.
Then if you want to work on adapting the car a bit you can have some modiffications to it to make it even more competitive.

Other than above arguments both of the cars are pretty equal and fantastic to drive so it means there is no negative solution of your dilema :-)

Old 05-02-2010, 04:53 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
same dilema for me too last fall. I went .2 GT3 and never once questioned my choice after driving the new motor. Its a work of art.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Nugget is on a distinguished road
I think the .2 GT3 is a technically superior car but I made the decision to go .1RS (last September) and don't regret it. Less painful depreciation and the intangibles are immeasurable -- every time I climb in I fondly dream of '73 RSs and RS Americas. That's worth more to me than the half a second faster lap I might turn at TWS in the newer car.

A Jerzy points out -- there really isn't a wrong choice.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
I too went 997.1 GT3RS because I could not get a 997.2 GT3RS last year. I feel if I purchased a 997.2 GT3, I would constantly think about how I should have bought the 997.2 GT3RS. It's not really about the performance but more about the collector's value and being the top model at that time periord for me.

For example i purchased my 2009 wrx for the winter but upgraded to the STi Special edition this year because it's rare and i cannot help myself. I know if i get the 997.2 I will be trading it in for the RS shortly after. Now i have the RS i may get an entirely different car all together instead of the 997.2 RS. I guess i'm probably not making any sense but I guess my advice is to follow your heart.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
the best solution is to get the .2GT3 and put some decals on. Case closed.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Salespunk is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a lot of people have gone through the same thought process. Not an easy decision, but at least it gives me something to think about in endless meetings.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
A basic question, what are you looking for?

For aesthetics: 997.1 RS

For re-sale value: 997.1 RS

For performance: 997.2 GT3

Just think of your needs...

Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Tonester is on a distinguished road
.1RS would do it for me.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Nugget is on a distinguished road
Another factor that influenced my decision was those centerlock wheels. I'm a track rat and I've already got a second set of wheels (18") for my Hoosiers and I'm looking at buying third set for R Comp tires. The aftermarket selection for centerlock wheels is bleak and pricing/availability for the factory wheels is grim. I just wasn't enthused about being on that bleeding edge.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
GT3.2 is the better car in mostly every category except for looks. RS still looks better and if you won't push it 9/10s then it'll be a blast for ya.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: .1 GT3RS vs .2 GT3