Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 EVOMSit ECU Tuning - worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
kumar75150 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
Already modded but this is how things usually look

Can you explain this graph please? I'm new to Porsches and don't understand the stages and abbreviations.

I'd be interested in picking up 30rwhp if they were streetable mods.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kumar75150
Can you explain this graph please? I'm new to Porsches and don't understand the stages and abbreviations.

Typical graph...the Red Line is the cars power on the dyno AFTER the ECU changes were made. The black line is the power on the dyno when stock.

Follow engine speed..RPM's across the bottom and move up and follow the engine hp/torque on the scale on the right and left. The lines that keep climbing are the HP (horse Power and the line that flatens out is the TQ (torque).

So looking at this chart you will see the dyno is showing improvments in power starting at 4100rpm. 5257rpms is where the bigger differences start to happen.

So just cruising around on the street at 2000-4000rpm the car will probably feel stock in power. Then at say 5000-8000rpm is where you will feel some differences. Can you feel 30hp? Some can some can't. At the track with an experienced driver you might pick up a few 1/10ths.

An ECU tune is more than just about power. Usually an ECU tune is needed after extensive exhaust and intake work...in order to smooth things out and make the most of a better breathing engine.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kumar75150

Drive my car in the next month. You bring yours and we can compare. I would actually like to see and feel the difference. You will also get to hear my track exhaust. I will bet you call Alex within 15 mins of us departing.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Bugger... still not sure who/where or what you got done;(? I wish I knew... having said that we did tune for specific back pressure and not for high-flow cats, headers and other things that change the heat ranges and back pressure. We learned a lot about this on the 996gt3 when changing to the 997gt3 exhaust. The ECU is calling for and looking for certain heat ranges at the 02 sensor. Those are going to be VERY different with your exhaust set up and would need to be changed. Sounds like it probably ran in some safe mode or something.... But whoever did the ECU for you should have told you that etc... let me know as I'll gladly nudge/help Either way sure sounds like it was running in limp/safe mode rather than anything else so something must have been wrong?
I know many others have had success with this mod but I only brought this old sore point because it was just one of those thing where it's just my bad luck.
Now to your comments. All the above has and was discussed.
My ECU was sent to EVOM (over 7 day turnaround) and every single mod that my GT3 had was directly informed. So all was known or should have been. So to the who, where and what was done to my ECU. The answer is EVOM.
So am I to understand that if one has 200 cell cats this won't work?
If a fault is to be stated, it was not on my side.
Bottom line, I was a loser.

Ranger

Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
I know many others have had success with this mod but I only brought this old sore point because it was just one of those thing where it's just my bad luck.
Now to your comments. All the above has and was discussed.
My ECU was sent to EVOM (over 7 day turnaround) and every single mod that my GT3 had was directly informed. So all was known or should have been. So to the who, where and what was done to my ECU. The answer is EVOM.
So am I to understand that if one has 200 cell cats this won't work?
If a fault is to be stated, it was not on my side.
Bottom line, I was a loser.

Ranger
The only thing i dont understand and i am not trying to flame you is why do you always derail the evomsit threads because of your 1 isolated incident.. there are so many variables your not taking into consideration that play a role.. I operate a dyno all day every day so i see some of the weirdest things affect HP.. for an all motor car to lose 22hp ray charles would have to be tuning.. Do you have before and after dyno charts to analyze?? Even if 7 days apart.. Was the tune the ONLY thing changed at the time of the 22hp loss?? was it the same tank of gas??

Mike

Mike

Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
This is a good discussion to watch. I would like to know the goods and bads. It's all part of the decision making. There are 2 sides to all stories, and the truth in the middle. Let's see if we can find it.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
This is a good discussion to watch. I would like to know the goods and bads. It's all part of the decision making. There are 2 sides to all stories, and the truth in the middle. Let's see if we can find it.
The problem is as an EVOMS dealer we are always called Biased so in the end i dont know what to say other than this.. its NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to fake HP on a dynojet w/ an all motor car.. So if i get 10HP or 15HP which is the avg back to back on a Gt3 w/ Evomsit it cant come from anywhere but tuning.. There is no boost to play with, there is no dynojet manipulation possible for HP.. So it is what it is.. Ill see what charts i can find that i have to post.. Those that know me long enough know i wont sell something that doesnt work.. if it didnt make power i wouldnt put my name behind it.. the HIGHEST HP 997.2 GT3 I ever seen posted and with before and after was Jesus Gt3 that we did evomsit custom tuning with.. that thing made ~435whp.. It was almost as quick as my 997tt w/ 540whp..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; 01-31-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Not dishing on you Mike. Don't doubt what you say. I do think someone should make it right with him. Right or wrong. I think tunes add HP. They exceed the parameters set by Porsche or whomever. One tuner isn't better than the next based on performance. It's a decision as to how close does one want to get near the fire. I had an Evoms tune to my GT3 and I think it was good money spent. And the Evoms guys don't care for me either. My 10 GT3 was tuned by Evoms thru Alex, and designed with the track exhaust on my car, and I think it can hang with any stock turbo. It also likes gas.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor
Not dishing on you Mike. Don't doubt what you say. I do think someone should make it right with him. Right or wrong. I think tunes add HP. They exceed the parameters set by Porsche or whomever. One tuner isn't better than the next based on performance. It's a decision as to how close does one want to get near the fire. I had an Evoms tune to my GT3 and I think it was good money spent. And the Evoms guys don't care for me either. My 10 GT3 was tuned by Evoms thru Alex, and designed with the track exhaust on my car, and I think it can hang with any stock turbo. It also likes gas.
No i know you werent attacking me.. I was just stating what happens in most cases when i try and discuss and help.. Especially with this delicate what seems like 2 years old issue with rangers car that is brought up what seems like weekly.. Problem here is hes a doctor.. he knows medicine but maybe doesnt fully 100% understand the variables in measuring HP IMO.. Just guessing.. he knows what he reads and what the people testing it told him.. I have invited him on NUMEROUS occasions to dyno his vehicles here.. Including even the M5 and the M5 turbo that is 4-5 years in the making.. he didnt listen to me about the m5 because ASR was #1 and now i havent heard a peep about that car either.. what i can say though is he is LOYAL til the end when he finds a shop he likes..

Mike

Old 01-31-2011, 09:05 PM
He's a doctor? That means he's an avid Obama supporter.......
After we get this subject tackled, lets discuss the Bush/Gore election results as to fault......LOL.

I agree with your comments on tuning. I agree with him being upset if something didn't work. Has anyone tried to fix it? Or is it better to be done and not discuss? I'm sure these are silly questions and I should not have asked. I don't see how a tune would lose HP. That's the whole point. To program an increase in parameters that exceed those of the original manufacturer. It's just not a likely occurrence to happen with a loss of HP. Something must be wrong.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
BTW Never saw anything from ASR running properly. I wish him the best of luck.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Former Vendor
After we get this subject tackled, lets discuss the Bush/Gore election results as to fault......LOL.

I agree with your comments on tuning. I agree with him being upset if something didn't work. Has anyone tried to fix it? Or is it better to be done and not discuss? I'm sure these are silly questions and I should not have asked. I don't see how a tune would lose HP. That's the whole point. To program an increase in parameters that exceed those of the original manufacturer. It's just not a likely occurrence to happen with a loss of HP. Something must be wrong.
Yeah lets not derail this thread talking about obama.. we could end up on page 20 then. LOL

I dont know where things stand.. this was beaten like a dead horse over a year ago i think.. Im sure he will chime in shortly..

Mike

Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of

I already saw several tunes on European BMW M engines, loose power. All motor high output engines are not easy as turbos, but I do believe that Evoms has it covered. Hope everything went well for Ranger.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
BTW Never saw anything from ASR running properly. I wish him the best of luck.
Im pretty sure the ASR M5 Turbo Dream has been scrapped long ago.. I did my research when i set the worlds quickest time with mine and i knew nitrous was the only practical way to do it.. still 1 full second faster than ASR..

Anyway back on topic..

Mike

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
The only thing i dont understand and i am not trying to flame you is why do you always derail the evomsit threads because of your 1 isolated incident.. there are so many variables your not taking into consideration that play a role.. I operate a dyno all day every day so i see some of the weirdest things affect HP.. for an all motor car to lose 22hp ray charles would have to be tuning.. Do you have before and after dyno charts to analyze?? Even if 7 days apart.. Was the tune the ONLY thing changed at the time of the 22hp loss?? was it the same tank of gas??
Mike

Mike
First let me say Mike, you are trying to flame me. Are we clear?
What's with the "always" comment? I mentioned this once before well after it happened and now.
When have I ever "derailed" an EVOM thread??
When this happened I said nothing. Didn't come on and say boo about my experience. I sucked it up and didn't even ask for my money back.
I stood down and walked away. So I do not know where the hell you're coming from.
I have never stated any negative comments about EVOM. Please show me all the "always" you're talking about.
I know you know everything. I will tell you a few months ago I met and spoke with Todd in Miami and everything was cool yet you come on here and flame.
I can not have a discussion with the "all knowing". Oh btw you were wrong about the stock boost level on the F10 M5. Just saying.
I'm done talking.
Good day to you sir.

Ranger

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 EVOMSit ECU Tuning - worth it or not?