GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.1 GT3 or 997.2 GT3 which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM
blackvii is on a distinguished road
I used to own a GT3.1 and switched for a .2 about a year ago. I can say that over all the car feels much better as everyone said. I track my car from time to time and I can tell you that the .2 feels faster in all aspects.
When it comes to that sweet noise the GT3 makes the .2 has a little more grunt.
Off the track the GT3.2 is more comfortable to drive and more responsive ,especially when overtaking, because of the extra mid range torque you get from the 3.8L engine.

Hope this helps

Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by silverarrow
I wouldn't be able to get the GT3 RS to full its full potential.
why do you say that? just wondering? because the differences between the two are very subtle....slight weight difference, slightly wider track, lighter flywheel, etc. if you're able to get a 997 gt3 to fulfill its potential, you're going to be able to do the same with a same-generation RS

Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't be able to get the GT3 RS to full its full potential.
if you ever want this car on a track you want to get RS car to begin with.
with 50/50 usage I would agree - get an RS, you will not regret it.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 AM
silverarrow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by maroli
why do you say that? just wondering? because the differences between the two are very subtle....slight weight difference, slightly wider track, lighter flywheel, etc. if you're able to get a 997 gt3 to fulfill its potential, you're going to be able to do the same with a same-generation RS
I guess I'm thinking in terms of frequency of track usage. I see myself realistically doing a few a yr and that's it. The rest will be for street use.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 AM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
I guess I'm thinking in terms of frequency of track usage. I see myself realistically doing a few a yr and that's it. The rest will be for street use.
well...if that's the case....and you're not going for ultimate performance....then you may as well get a 997.1, and sell it in 3 years to get a 991 (yet-unreleased). It will be a complete paradigm change, compared to an evolution of the current platform. Besides, the 997 GT3 is further down the depreciation curve.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
As Mooty previously posted, the .2 is a better car in every respect. As much as it is a better track car it is also a much better street car; more stick, more compliant, more mid-range, and on. With a $15k delta it is a no-brainer. The model year advantage alone is worth the delta, let alone warranty, and the aforementioned.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
skim is on a distinguished road
I have used the search button on this fellows so take it easy on me but I'm on the fence right now on a deal between these two GT3's I really didn't find a solid enough answer between the 2...wanted to hear input not just performance difference but which one is a better gt3 overall. I know the #'s in Hp & torque exist but for those who had both why did you switch to the newer one? Or for those who opted for the .2 why? And lastly if the the deal is within 15k of each other would you take the .2 vs the .1? Or take the 15k and spend it on the .2? Thank you guys in advance.
i love your avatar.. she's loving it!! lol

Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
I have a 997.1 GT3 and have went back and forth of 997.2 or not

997.2 is better in all ways except center lock wheels, they are a PITA

I actually do use my sunroof, to hear the sharky

Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by mooty
you want a SOLID answers?
the .2 is better than .1 in EVERY WAY, i do mean in EVERY SINGLE WAY, measurable or not. if someone disagrees, they are clearly not familiar with these cars.

the only question is do you want to spend the extra money.
Great point! and yeah the question would be really if I have that extra $ to boot
Originally Posted by blackvii
I used to own a GT3.1 and switched for a .2 about a year ago. I can say that over all the car feels much better as everyone said. I track my car from time to time and I can tell you that the .2 feels faster in all aspects.
When it comes to that sweet noise the GT3 makes the .2 has a little more grunt.
Off the track the GT3.2 is more comfortable to drive and more responsive ,especially when overtaking, because of the extra mid range torque you get from the 3.8L engine.

Hope this helps
This is really what everybody here is saying about the .2
Originally Posted by maroli
well...if that's the case....and you're not going for ultimate performance....then you may as well get a 997.1, and sell it in 3 years to get a 991 (yet-unreleased). It will be a complete paradigm change, compared to an evolution of the current platform. Besides, the 997 GT3 is further down the depreciation curve.
I was debating on your point
Originally Posted by Izzone

Is it really a PITA to work on centerlock wheels?...other than maybe the dealership in my case in Austin may have to work on that...
Originally Posted by 911dev
As Mooty previously posted, the .2 is a better car in every respect. As much as it is a better track car it is also a much better street car; more stick, more compliant, more mid-range, and on. With a $15k delta it is a no-brainer. The model year advantage alone is worth the delta, let alone warranty, and the aforementioned.
yeah it's just that 15k...
Originally Posted by skim
i love your avatar.. she's loving it!! lol
She is loving it alright!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Chris 23 is on a distinguished road
for $15k difference, personally I'd go with the .2

Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Isn't a .1 GT3RS going for a similar price point of a .2 GT3. I'd much rather have a .1RS

Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Chris 23
for $15k difference, personally I'd go with the .2
Yeah $15k is still a lot for me
Originally Posted by DYL 911
Isn't a .1 GT3RS going for a similar price point of a .2 GT3. I'd much rather have a .1RS
yup right there with it

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Yeah $15k is still a lot for me
If you compare the lower priced .1 and .2, without considering the mileage, the difference is more like $35K(~70k vs. ~105k).

If money is a significant factor, you can't beat the value of the 997.1 GT3!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 PM
sprinter is on a distinguished road
I agree completely with Mooty! I had a 2007 GT3, which I thought was great, now I have a 2010 GT3 and it is a completely different car. Better in every way! I think you will ultimately be disappointed if you get the .1

Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 PM
KYROCKS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Izzone

You'll probably think I'm crazy...but I find the center lock wheels easier and less time consuming! Pop off the cap and only one nut to torque. With the proper torque wrench it is easy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 or 997.2 GT3 which one?