GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What is the advantage of the centerlocks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drdrilz
i think the only real advantage at the consumer level is esthetics. they look cool, but thats about it.
The other advantage is that the Porsche collapsible breaker bar makes an excellent self defense weapon.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
zweebach is on a distinguished road
I figured that rules of some racing series rules are becoming more strict and the road going car that the race cars are created from need to be more similar. I haven't checked, have cup cars had center lock wheels all this time?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
aussie jimmy will become famous soon enoughaussie jimmy will become famous soon enough
ýes, from the beginning.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
No doubt you can remove 1 lug faster than you can remove 4 or 5.
Main advantage for racing is not in the time it takes to remove and tighten lug nuts but rather that it is very fast to locate the wheel onto the hub. Also I believe that the drive pins (in shear) used with a center lock wheel are superior to wheel studs (in tension), perhaps far superior. Especially when using wheel spacers. I cannot find a reference though but I'm sure Carroll Smith has something to say about it.

For a street car (even track driven) there is zero advantage except to make your wallet lighter.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
you could always buy a set of wheel chocks. then you wont need anyone to press down on the break.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Can you feel the squeezing in between your legs? When you do, you will know.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tonka858
you could always buy a set of wheel chocks. then you wont need anyone to press down on the break.
u clearly haven't done wheel change on these cars.
wheel chock wont work for front tires, well 50% of the time wont work.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
I will soon fin out for myself, I have my brake depressor on the way

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jenk12m
I will soon fin out for myself, I have my brake depressor on the way
I've got one downstairs now........ just finished making me some lunch.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
look good, call 1-800------- and wait about two days to find a proper dealer to change your tire. That's what they told me at Palm Beach.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
I've got one downstairs now........ just finished making me some lunch.
Group buy?...

Old 03-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Main advantage for racing is not in the time it takes to remove and tighten lug nuts but rather that it is very fast to locate the wheel onto the hub. Also I believe that the drive pins (in shear) used with a center lock wheel are superior to wheel studs (in tension), perhaps far superior. Especially when using wheel spacers. I cannot find a reference though but I'm sure Carroll Smith has something to say about it.

For a street car (even track driven) there is zero advantage except to make your wallet lighter.
1 lug stronger and superior in tension? I have never seen a wheel gotten undone with 5 lugs - properly torqued. 1 lug = zero advantage unless on a track for a faster tyre change. And for the street? As you say, pointless.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by Terminator
1 lug stronger and superior in tension?
huh? please re-read, I did not say that. Have you actually seen a centerlock wheel hub?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:33 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
anyone ever change out the hub and go back to 5 lug?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Grant is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
does it need 2 people? and why?
It requires so much torque that it will spin the front wheels (even with the car on the ground), unless someone depresses the brake pedal while you operate the wrench.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the advantage of the centerlocks?