GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What is the advantage of the centerlocks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:56 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Terminator
1 lug stronger and superior in tension? I have never seen a wheel gotten undone with 5 lugs - properly torqued. 1 lug = zero advantage unless on a track for a faster tyre change. And for the street? As you say, pointless.

Gotta say, this is a great thread - been doing plenty of research on the CL's for the Turbo as an option since I'm ordering one.

My GTS has the CL's but I haven't had any flat tires yet either, so not really an issue, plus I live close to the dealer.

My Turbo will see an occasional track day but with the std brakes I really question if CL's will be necessary, that being mostly a street car. Sounds like I can save the $3800 on this option!

Both the std Turbo wheel and the CL wheel are one-piece forged. The CL wheels are 1/2" wider, and I bet when all is said and done, these wheels are very similar in weight.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:19 PM
lnirenberg is on a distinguished road
Missed this thread. I do not understand the fascination German car makers have with lug bolts as they make a one man job challenging. I had studs put on my '13 S and that helped a lot.

As to center locks, I have a rubber floor in my garage so I pull the car onto the paved area and have no problem doing changes front or rear with my monster torque wrench. As my car is track only the big advantage I see is not having to re-torque the wheels between sessions as locked is locked vs the S which required constant re-torquing.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:06 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
That's a great point- I would assume though that centerlocks need to be inspected on specified track intervals? I've heard they need that to verify torque occasionally.

Neither option is perfect- the CLs are expensive and not always lightweight, and the 5 lugs can be annoying to repeatedly change/install on track events since you have to torque up 20 lugs vs. 4 nuts.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:35 AM
andrewbiazis is on a distinguished road
All good so far with CL wheels...