GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What is the advantage of the centerlocks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 PM
il nino will become famous soon enoughil nino will become famous soon enough
What is the advantage of the centerlocks?

It seems like the centerlock wheels are a big liability. Tire changes seem like they will be difficult and even at the track, changing wheels will require an engineer to be present.
I am sure for a pit crew they are ideal but for a mostly street car and an amateur track car there are more risks that something will go wrong with them than a standard wheel.
They do look better but that should be secondary to the other issues.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I remember the Porsche website claims that the center lock wheels reduce rotating masses for better driving dynamics (as well as the wheel hubs, if I remember correctly.)

Regards,

Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 AM
bumperpip is on a distinguished road
All advantages of centerlock wheels flow directly to Porsche. When the added weight of the adaptors required is considered, BS "rotating mass improvement" vaporizes. Then there is the marvelous "advantage" of TWO people required to CHANGE A TIRE(!!), big ol' breaker bar required to un-do CL nut, big ol' torque wrench required to do up CL nut....well, here's your sign.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
FTS
FTS is on a distinguished road
+1 ^

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
i think the only real advantage at the consumer level is esthetics. they look cool, but thats about it.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
absolutely no advantage, the weight loss is insignificant.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
bperry is on a distinguished road
None!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Wayne K is on a distinguished road
Only advantage I can think of is only one nut per wheel to lose track off instead of five.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
masmole is on a distinguished road
Another advantage I can think of is that you're less likely to get your wheels stolen when parked somewhere... no need for wheel locks.... unless the thieves are extra-resourceful that is.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
aussie jimmy will become famous soon enoughaussie jimmy will become famous soon enough
so, i find tedium when undergoing 4x5x2 = 40 bolt tightening/loosening events when changing set of wheels from street to track.
how bad is it to make this 4x1x2 = 8? how much worse is this bolt than a normal bolt? does it need 2 people? and why?

thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Center locks were developed in racing and have been used there for decades.

No doubt you can remove 1 lug faster than you can remove 4 or 5.

This racing technology has progressed to road cars now.

It has been on road cars that were used for racing as far back as 50 years ago.
Think FORD GT with knock offs and not mention earlier racing british cars.

Centerlock wheels are also generally stronger than a wheel with 4 or 5 lugs.

So is there an advantage yes.. What does it really matter on a street car used on public roads? Hardly anything.
The good thing is that racing technology is progressing to road cars and we all benefit from it.. ( atleast in road racing and other forums) minus our friends in nascar lol..
5 lugs and steel wheels........... LOL

Just think back.......... Remember when aluminum wheels were introduced people thought some companies were nuts.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
aussie jimmy will become famous soon enoughaussie jimmy will become famous soon enough
cool, thanks.
question remains: some people say that 2 people are required to deal with these bolts. is this true?
if these bolts are as easy as the others, then i don't see any problem as it saves time where it takes me an hour to change 4 wheels with analog equipment.
i work solo.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
cool, thanks.
question remains: some people say that 2 people are required to deal with these bolts. is this true?
if these bolts are as easy as the others, then i don't see any problem as it saves time where it takes me an hour to change 4 wheels with analog equipment.
i work solo.

You can do this yourself just requires a proper torque wrench..

Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
masmole is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
You can do this yourself just requires a proper torque wrench..
and a brake depressor tool, homemade or bought.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Davidham is on a distinguished road
You use a torque multiplier at 4-1 ratio. And yes you do need to have the brakes depressed on the front wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the advantage of the centerlocks?