Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

first track event questions for new 2011 gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
greyhound is infamous around these partsgreyhound is infamous around these parts
first track event questions for new 2011 gt3

I have a DE event in about a month for my new gt3. Any opinions on alignment settings, tires, etc.? My thought was to just take the car out as is and see how it goes. I have previously tracked a 2007 turbo and a 1995 993. I suspect the car will handle more similarly to the 993. Any advice? I want to keep things smooth first time. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
For your first event its not a bad idea to just leave everything in factory form and feel the car out like you said. The car is more than capable from the factory to go hit a couple events. As you progress, the first things I would do would change the brake fluid, and a more aggressive alignment. You should also look into a roll bar and harness for safety reasons! As you can tell, when the mod bug bites, it bites hard!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
+1

Originally Posted by Misanors4
For your first event its not a bad idea to just leave everything in factory form and feel the car out like you said. The car is more than capable from the factory to go hit a couple events. As you progress, the first things I would do would change the brake fluid, and a more aggressive alignment. You should also look into a roll bar and harness for safety reasons! As you can tell, when the mod bug bites, it bites hard!
I agree with this advice.
But, I'd like to know how much previous track experience you've had in the 993 & the turbo. Are you able to drive the car at 10/10ths??
Mr. B

Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Agree with ^

The only thing "required" in your situation would be a brake fluid flush but considering it's a 2011, you could easily forgo it.

Learn your car first. It is already a precision instrument ready for for track. Unless you plan to make it track only, every little thing you do will make it less livable the other 98% of the time you are not on a track.

Once the mod-bug bites, it's a money pit.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM
greyhound is infamous around these partsgreyhound is infamous around these parts
I have more experience in 993 than turbo. Turbo saw maybe 6 track days and I was frustrated with the understeer and tire wear. The 993 has suspension upgrades and supercharger from TPC out back. I have become comfortable with the immediate torque and limits of adhesion with this car-maybe drive 9/10(also paid for-ha). Also, I have really enjoyed the added handling of some toyo 888 proxy tires. I was thinking of getting some tires to use vs original pirelli's. Not sure how OEM tires will wear/grip. No $ for center lock track wheels/tires at this time. Wife already thinks I'm nuts and having third midlife crisis.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Tires

Originally Posted by greyhound
I have more experience in 993 than turbo. Turbo saw maybe 6 track days and I was frustrated with the understeer and tire wear. The 993 has suspension upgrades and supercharger from TPC out back. I have become comfortable with the immediate torque and limits of adhesion with this car-maybe drive 9/10(also paid for-ha). Also, I have really enjoyed the added handling of some toyo 888 proxy tires. I was thinking of getting some tires to use vs original pirelli's. Not sure how OEM tires will wear/grip. No $ for center lock track wheels/tires at this time. Wife already thinks I'm nuts and having third midlife crisis.
My 2007 GT3 has Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's and if that's what you have, you will be fine. Drive the car first, then think about different track tires.
That's my $.02.
Mr. B

Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
The only thing I would suggest is having the car aligned. Even from the factory, it seems like most are off. This could mean the difference between fighting with the car and enjoying it. GT cars are very sensitive to alignment.
Enjoy and have fun.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
We always recommend fresh fluids(including brakes if not done up to 90 days previously). A good alignment(as previously pointed out) is also a fantastic idea.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Geschwindigkeit is infamous around these parts
I agree with just about everything that has been stated. I think you'll be happy with Corsa's (I like mine), but, they're expensive for the number of events you'll get out of them - over $2000. If you're at 9/10th's, maybe you should consider Hoosier's?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Geschwindigkeit
I agree with just about everything that has been stated. I think you'll be happy with Corsa's (I like mine), but, they're expensive for the number of events you'll get out of them - over $2000. If you're at 9/10th's, maybe you should consider Hoosier's?
I just read about the launch of the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport that they hosted in Dubai. That tire just might be "the next best thing," and it should last longer than it's competition.
Mr. B

Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM
OWNER's MANUAL

Originally Posted by D-UberCars
The only thing I would suggest is having the car aligned. Even from the factory, it seems like most are off. This could mean the difference between fighting with the car and enjoying it. GT cars are very sensitive to alignment.
Enjoy and have fun.
The Owner's Manual has alignment specs for every day use and for track use.
FWIW: My local shop split the difference and aligned my car half way between the two.
Mr. B

Old 03-18-2011, 06:53 PM
rasi54 is infamous around these parts
This forum seems to complicate things and I'm sorry. You have a perfect car and your lucky. Just change the brake fluid and pads. Just worry about you and not the car it will be fine.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
Exactly fluids and pads with a proper track alignment and your all set. If you track a lot harness and roll bar and your all set

Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Not to .....

Originally Posted by rasi54
This forum seems to complicate things and I'm sorry. You have a perfect car and your lucky. Just change the brake fluid and pads. Just worry about you and not the car it will be fine.

Not to be argumentative, but for a first event, I don't think he needs to change the brake fluid or pads. The stock GT3 should be great without doing anything.

FWIW, I did my first event without doing either of these things & the car was perfect.
Just my $.02
Mr B

Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 PM
I would hope for a 127,000 large I would be in good shape without worrying about brake fluid and pads with 2,500 miles. If so, maybe I should have gone with that Audi R8 v10 I was looking at with the way cooler interior and window to the engine located in a responsible and proper position? And I would hope the fellows at Stuttgart could deliver the thing with a proper alignment?? I hope you guys posting this stuff are just **** retentive. I am a veterinarian for god sakes with the need for a little break and rush from time to time and just don't want to end up in the trees/wall. Thanks for opinions none the less.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: first track event questions for new 2011 gt3